[PPR] Wes Welker or Dallas Clark? [Keeper] - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

[PPR] Wes Welker or Dallas Clark? [Keeper]

Moderator: Football Moderators

[PPR] Wes Welker or Dallas Clark? [Keeper]

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:25 am

I'm in a 10-team PPR keeper league. We get to choose 4, and so far I've chosen Tom Brady, Hakeem Nicks and Ryan Mathews. Should I choose Wes Welker or Dallas Clark for the last spot? Santonio Holmes is another option. Thanks for your help.

League Info

Roster Spots:
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR/RB
TE
K
DEF

7 Bench Spots

Scoring:

Passing

25 Yards per point
TD's=4 points
Int=-2 Points

RB's, WR's, and TE's:
10 yards per point
6 per TD
-2 per Fumble
.5 PPR
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: [PPR] Wes Welker or Dallas Clark? [Keeper]

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 am

This choice isn't easy,both guys are talented and on offenses with plenty of compeition. Before last years coming out party for NE TEs I would have picked Welker. If defenses are better prepared for NE TEs this year Welker could be freed up more. I feel Clark will have more opportunity than Welker this year, but there are plenty of good TEs this year.

I would keep Welker and hope his production bounces back a little bit this season.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these guys.
Good luck!
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

TexasBornCowboysFan wrote: I feel Clark will have more opportunity than Welker this year, but there are plenty of good TEs this year.

True and true. I also give Clark a little extra bump this year because of the lockout situation. When they return to the field I suspect Manning will hit his security blanket even more. but then, I'm so homer I wrote the Odyssey.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 am

scottaa1 wrote:
TexasBornCowboysFan wrote: I feel Clark will have more opportunity than Welker this year, but there are plenty of good TEs this year.

True and true. I also give Clark a little extra bump this year because of the lockout situation. When they return to the field I suspect Manning will hit his security blanket even more. but then, I'm so homer I wrote the Odyssey.

You might be a homer and penning some mighty fine epics, but that's true. Good as Peyton is, as hard of a worker as he is, he's gonna be affected by the lockout also. He's human after all. Generally, we're probably going to see a considerable boost to TE production this season, at least during the first half. While Welker is generally a PPR winner, his value has always been because there was a bigger, deep threat waiting in the wings. (granted, he didn't do terribly without Moss) He'll be focused on more, and Brady will probably rely more on the TE as well. Clark gives you what is essentially a fringe WR1 at your TE spot. Since you're already holding Nicks, I think that's a fine start to your WR corps.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree, that is a tough choice. The two players are very close in value. Looking at the calculator's ADP, Clark is going at 46.3 while Welker is going one pick after at 47.1

I think the Peyton being comfortable with Clark can also be applied to Brady and Welker. Welker only has 4 years of being in New England, and only 3 seasons with Tom Brady due to Brady's 2008 knee injury. This doesn't compare to the Dallas Clark to Peyton Manning connection, but Brady has become comfortable throwing to Welker. In two season with Tom Brady ('07 and '09), Welker produced the two highest catch percentages of the 21st century. Welker is going to catch around 70% percent of his targets from Tom Brady, and he is going to get a lot of them.

However, with the makeup of your roster and the fact that you are already keeping Hakeem Nicks makes Dallas Clark a solid keeper. Keeping Dallas Clark allows you to execute some value based drafting. You have QB, WR1, TE, and a solid RB to start off your draft. After grabbing an RB early your team can go in any direction that the draft may take you.

So, I'd keep Clark.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:33 pm

LMack wrote:However, with the makeup of your roster and the fact that you are already keeping Hakeem Nicks makes Dallas Clark a solid keeper. Keeping Dallas Clark allows you to execute some value based drafting. You have QB, WR1, TE, and a solid RB to start off your draft. After grabbing an RB early your team can go in any direction that the draft may take you.

So, I'd keep Clark.

Very well summarized. ;-D

The *only* concern I have worth mentioning is from what I've read in the local paper regarding Manning's neck surgery. apparently (and we know how the Colts are almost Belichickian in injury information) being cut off from the team trainers/sports medicine crew is that his neck isn't coming along as well as hoped. That was straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. But the season is two months away still, and I'm sure he's rehabbing it through other means. It's barely worth mentioning.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm

I would keep Clark over Welker and Holmes. While TE is indeed deep this year, Clark is elite, especially in a PPR league. Coupled with your other keepers, it gives you a strong core of keepers and allows maximum flexibility in drafting BPA.

Also, since you are already keeping Brady, that's another strike against keeping Welker.... I am not a fan of QB/WR combos, there tends to be too much week-to-week fluctuation in scoring.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 pm

I have to go Clark here as well, simply because I think it makes more sense to keep a TE1 over a WR2/3. If you didn't have the best fantasy TE not named Gates an argument could be made for Welker in this format.

Who are your other RBs?
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Thanks for the help guys.

Venom wrote:I have to go Clark here as well, simply because I think it makes more sense to keep a TE1 over a WR2/3. If you didn't have the best fantasy TE not named Gates an argument could be made for Welker in this format.

Who are your other RBs?

This is actually a team I'm taking over this year. There isn't much else at RB on the roster. The only one worth mentioning is Brandon Jacobs.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby crimedoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 am

I'd go with Welker. Clark showed a fair amount of injury proneness before he ascended into a top 2 level TE. Then suddenly the injury bug bit hard. Welker, who isn't always a picture of health, is a huge favorite target of Brady's. I'm guessing that Brady's love for his TE's in 2010 was more of an hiccup then a trend. Please answer my "Tricky Keeper Situation" post.
crimedoctor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions