Keeper Help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper Help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Help

Postby Devil Doc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

Its a 10 team league, non ppr, and we can keep 5 just no more than 2 from each position. Right now, my keepers are set at Greene, Calvin Johnson, White, Ryan, Davis. I'm trying to shop White for another RB keeper right now, figure I can get the most for him without giving up my stud. And I'm also set to get the #4 pick overall (trading draft picks allowed). Just need some reassurance this is probably the best possible way to go. Any ideas would be great and appreciated!

Start:
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR/TE, TE, DB, DB, DL, DL, LB

Current Roster:

Matt Ryan QB ATL
LaDainian Tomlinson RB NYJ
Shonn Greene RB NYJ
Greg Jennings WR GB
Calvin Johnson WR DET
Roddy White WR ATL
Vernon Davis TE SF
Adam Vinatieri K IND
Green Bay Packers TM GB
Troy Polamalu DB PIT
Charles Woodson DB GB
Justin Tuck DL NYG
Charles Johnson DL CAR
Clay Matthews LB GB

Benched
Joe Flacco QB BAL
Tim Hightower RB
Mike Goodson RB
Chris Ivory RB NO
Malcom Floyd WR SD
Nate Washington WR
Earl Bennett WR CHi
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Help

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm

I would keep White, Greene, Johnson, Jennings, and Davis.

In a 10 team league you should be able to draft a decent quarterback. Depending on how many quarterbacks are kept, it is likely that you can get Ryan back at a reasonable price. The same can not be said about a WR1 like Greg Jennings.

With the talent of Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, and Greg Jennings at wide out I would definitely look to move one of those receivers. I agree with trying to move Roddy, as I expect him to regress some after his great 2010. White could most likely net a solid back. I would try for someone like Rashard Mendenhall or Matt Forte. You might not be able to land a back of that caliber, but it is worth a try.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Devil Doc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 pm

LMack wrote:I would keep White, Greene, Johnson, Jennings, and Davis.

In a 10 team league you should be able to draft a decent quarterback. Depending on how many quarterbacks are kept, it is likely that you can get Ryan back at a reasonable price. The same can not be said about a WR1 like Greg Jennings.

With the talent of Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, and Greg Jennings at wide out I would definitely look to move one of those receivers. I agree with trying to move Roddy, as I expect him to regress some after his great 2010. White could most likely net a solid back. I would try for someone like Rashard Mendenhall or Matt Forte. You might not be able to land a back of that caliber, but it is worth a try.

If I could keep all 3 WR's I would, but we can't keep more than 2 players at any position.

I actually put offers out for BOTH of those guys using White, but with this lock out stuff going on, the league has been pretty quiet.

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I would way rather have Charles Johnson or Justin Tuck as my keeper than Shonn Greene.

Definitely shop both Jennings and White for a RB keeper though. One might get you a better deal than the other, and then you keep whoever is left.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm

I would keep Ryan, Greene, Calvin, Roddy, and Davis if you can't make a deal.

But yes, if you can make a deal to improve your team, I would have no problem dealing Jennings or White, especially since you can't keep all 3 stud WRs. Even if the other owner gets "the better end of the deal", you can both win.

Unless you have unique IDP scoring rules, there's no reason to consider keeping a defensive player.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Indibuck wrote:I would keep Ryan, Greene, Calvin, Roddy, and Davis if you can't make a deal.

But yes, if you can make a deal to improve your team, I would have no problem dealing Jennings or White, especially since you can't keep all 3 stud WRs. Even if the other owner gets "the better end of the deal", you can both win.

Unless you have unique IDP scoring rules, there's no reason to consider keeping a defensive player.

4-3 DEs with 3 down play are practically impossible to get. Having Tuck as a keeper is a large advantage on the field. Shonn Greene is a nothing. He's a RB2. You can go RB with your first two picks and have a better RB corps, meaning you kept a guy who will sit on your bench.

Keeping Greene would be an awful move. The nature of the position of RB in the NFL today is that a ton of them get hurt every year, and a ton of guys produce. If you don't have an absolute stud to keep, no reason to keep a guy like Greene. Especially when they still have LT on third downs, and they actually used a draft pick on another RB. Talk about coaches' actions saying "no confidence." People remember the 2 good playoff games his rookie season and skim over all the mediocrity.

It's your team and all, but keeping Greene would be moronic. Definition of easily replaceable.

Even with mediocre IDP scoring, I would take Justin Tuck in the 5th round. So it follows that one would make him a 5th keeper...

With 2 of those stud wideouts, the team is set at QB, WR, and TE for the year, unless a great value guy drops. That means you don't need to carry a backup TE any time except the SFO bye week. Same with QB - I would target Tebow as an upside play you can wait on.

You can shotgun RBs all draft, from the get-go. They always emerge. ALWAYS. Do not waste a keeper on a RB2 when you can have a top 3-5 player at ANY other position.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Devil Doc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Dude that is some really good info bro! I never thought of it like that. I do have the #4 pick overall, so the chances of a good RB falling to me will work out for me.

Thanks for all the good insight guys!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Indibuck wrote:I would keep Ryan, Greene, Calvin, Roddy, and Davis if you can't make a deal.

These are the 5 I would keep to. Same advice to. Try and upgrade 1st but if you cant keep the 5 Indi said
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 pm

I like Indys list also...but what Instinctive is saying would tempt me to look at last years final fantasy point totals to see if keeping an IDP is something to consider.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby crimedoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 am

I echo this answer. I realize it is a shallow league and the lockout has some owners sleeping. But I would be champing at the bit to nab one of your WR's in exchange for a RB. Even if you ditched C Johnson, ....for a RB that is waaaay better than Greene, I can't see you going wrong with Roddy and Jennings. Good luck. Please answer my "Tricky Keeper Situation" post.
crimedoctor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions