WTF Steelers???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

WTF Steelers????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby Munboy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm

moochman wrote:So what exactly did he say that was all that wrong? Sorry, there probably has never been a team that hasn't had players on one side of the ball call out players on the other side from time to time. Not big on gay slurs, but have a hard time thinking there isn't alot of that going on in a rugged sport like football. I know we can't talk about it, so we just condemn those who do. Just the cost of living in a PC world. I don't like Goondell, as most of you know, but I don't hate him. He hasn't taken money out of my pocket, so I don't have as much incentive as does Top Gums Harrison. Take away his hate driven drivle and I don't disagree with him, I too think Goodell is a puppet dictator who is doing more damage in the lip service to player safety that any good that has come from it to date.
Hate that Top Gums had to try and refute what he said. I would rather he would have simply clarified his statements. Go with you were misunderstood rather than misquoted, then reiterate in clearer, more focused wording the statements you were trying to make. Heck, if you want to be man enough to say it, be man enough to own it.


Nobody will refute what Harrison had to say. Goodell is pissing all over the league. Mendy had some costly fumbles including one that possibly cost them the SB. Big Ben did throw some INTs as well. Hell, he's even right about the two former patriots being tools, because they are. But you know what, there's a little thing called tact that he needs to learn. He has every right to feel like he does, and to call out some players' performance, but they way in which he did it is not acceptable in the NFL...or any other work place I can think of.

Oh, and before Harrison starts knocking other people's play in the SB, he should look at his own stat sheet...and his one loan tackle (a sack). And he blames Big Ben for giving GB a short field. Well, yea he did...but guess what. It's the defense's job to stop the opposing offense no matter where they are on the field. Not leave gaping holes and giving Rodgers all day to throw into those holes.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your mind as long as it's not just diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby Munboy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Stelly wrote:It's been an interesting spiral for the once proud Steelers and their "clean" players:

1) Big Ben's allegations
2) Mendenhall tweeting about Bin Laden
3) Ward gets a DUI
4) S. Holmes had drug charges before he left
5) P. Burress had some issues before he left town
6) Harrison opening his cake hole

I love how the Steelers ship out the two WRs who had "off the field issues" (Plax, Holmes), but as soon as it's their franchise QB, nothing happens.


1- I'm not defending what Ben did, but there is no proof of anything other than him being a tool. If he did anything criminal, there would be charges beyond the civil suit. He served his punishment for his conduct.
2- I disagree with what Mendy said, but did he do anything criminal? Did he do anything to bring the wrath of the league and their conduct policy down on him? No. So, how is he not "clean"? He's entitled his opinion, no matter how effed up it is.
3- This....saddens me greatly. He is my all time favorite player, as proof by my HOF thread...but this... I hope he gets cleared of the charges and the fact that he only had a few beers earlier in the night is true. If not, then he should be punished.
4- Holmes had issues with Miami police as soon as he was drafted and he was given another chance and did well for the team. But to go on twitter and brag about smoking pot. Then failing a drug test. Yea, you're gone. What's the difference in him and Ben? Proof.
5- What issues did Burress have before he left town?
6- Again, with Harrison, there is no criminal behavior, just a big mouth.

So, we have 1 player who acted like a drunken idiot, but no charges were filed. 1 player who spoke his mind, and people just don't agree with it. 1 player who was given a chance to be on the team but toked his way off of it. 1 player who ended up in prison years after he left the steelers. 1 player who spoke his mind, but just said it in the completely wrong way. ...and 1 player with legit legal issues now, pending how it turns out. Remember, innocent until proven guilty.

So, tell me again how the "once proud team and their clean players" are no longer that?
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Munboy wrote: He has every right to feel like he does, and to call out some players' performance, but they way in which he did it is not acceptable in the NFL...or any other work place I can think of.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your mind as long as it's not just diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.


I disagree. I hear employees chirping their teeth about their bosses, work, and co-workers all the time. There just isn't any media interest.
We need more players feeling free enough to express their real opinions. And these are athletes, so there is a higher risk of diarrhea than with most people, save politicians, who have mics thrust in front of their pie-holes. I say bless these gems, they are the dying remains of what this country was once so proud of: our freedom of speech.
If we insist upon regulating the manner in which we can express ourselves, than it is a short path from having to speak your mind in an "acceptable" manner to having to say only what we decide we want to hear. Or, going from Harrison calling Goodell the devil to Jordan saying he loves Goodell because "the devil buys Air Jordans too."
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby Munboy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

moochman wrote:
Munboy wrote: He has every right to feel like he does, and to call out some players' performance, but they way in which he did it is not acceptable in the NFL...or any other work place I can think of.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your mind as long as it's not just diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.


I disagree. I hear employees chirping their teeth about their bosses, work, and co-workers all the time. There just isn't any media interest.
We need more players feeling free enough to express their real opinions. And these are athletes, so there is a higher risk of diarrhea than with most people, save politicians, who have mics thrust in front of their pie-holes. I say bless these gems, they are the dying remains of what this country was once so proud of: our freedom of speech.
If we insist upon regulating the manner in which we can express ourselves, than it is a short path from having to speak your mind in an "acceptable" manner to having to say only what we decide we want to hear. Or, going from Harrison calling Goodell the devil to Jordan saying he loves Goodell because "the devil buys Air Jordans too."


I totally agree about free speech. He can say what he wants. He can trash talk the commish and players on other teams all he wants. It's the attacks on his co-workers that is unacceptable. Media aside. Football aside. You can bring your co-workers performance into question, but the statements he made were just unprofessional and careless. There's people at my work who I do not appreciate their performance most of the time. If I made personal attacks on them in the manner he did, I'd be fired.

As a side note, Harrison issued an apology to Ben and Mendy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... hot_topics
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Whoa whoa, lighten up Francis :-D
I think calling Harrison's remarks about his teammates was classless, but to say they were personal attacks is a bit of an over-reaction. That is, unless he said Ben threw the INTs because he was still woozey after being up all night trolling the restrooms in the local pub for drunk coeds. :-b
These are football players, they can take the criticism. It comes with the territory. Believe me, if it bothers the two enough, they will find away to settle up with Harrison.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: WTF Steelers????

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Based on things he said, for example the comment regarding Gooddell being on fire, I would not employ him. He's a walking time bomb for something to go wrong on or off the field again and again.

$00.02
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 10:44 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact