Coaching changes: what players will be affected most? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coaching changes: what players will be affected most?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coaching changes: what players will be affected most?

Postby Shark1225 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

DEN has John Fox at the helm now isn't he a run first guy so that would seem to help Moreno at the expense of Orton (or Tebow) and some of those WR's.

CAR has a new coach but not much should change as far as style and players. Rookie QB always means lots of INT's so maybe downgrade to Stewart and Williams a little.

Who are the other new coaches and what effect will they have on who to keep?
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Coaching changes: what players will be affected most?

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Cassel, Charles and Bowe I think. Weis isn't there anymore and whether Haley is an offensive guy or not I think those guys suffer a bit - particularly if Haley gets into the playcalling too much. I feel like when offensive head coaches get too into the playcalling (Mike Martz, Josh McD) the team suffers and subsequently fantasy production suffers.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:07 am

Jim Harbaugh in SF - West Coast offense. Problem is they are going to be way behind the learning curve so expect a slow start - not to mention the eventual change in QB from Smith to Kaepernick (at some point)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 am

dream_017 wrote:Jim Harbaugh in SF - West Coast offense. Problem is they are going to be way behind the learning curve so expect a slow start - not to mention the eventual change in QB from Smith to Kaepernick (at some point)

I really doubt that happens this year. I think SF knows they aren't yet really in competitive mode, and they will take some time to develop Kaepernick. No sense rushing him into action if they don't have to.

Guru13 wrote:Cassel, Charles and Bowe I think. Weis isn't there anymore and whether Haley is an offensive guy or not I think those guys suffer a bit - particularly if Haley gets into the playcalling too much. I feel like when offensive head coaches get too into the playcalling (Mike Martz, Josh McD) the team suffers and subsequently fantasy production suffers.

As for the biggest change, I'll echo Guru with Cassel/Charles/Bowe taking a hit. Weis did them a lot of good as we saw. I don't think they will drop off the map, but they probably won't be setting career highs again.

Another interesting one mentioned was Fox in Denver. He has shown he likes to run first as of late (not as much when he had Delhomme and Smith) when he's got a weak QB/WR connection. I'm interested to see if that changes with the upgrade he'll receive in Denver. Of course, this changes a lot if the Orton leaving rumors are true, if the Williams to Denver rumors are true once FA happens.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 am

m16a wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Jim Harbaugh in SF - West Coast offense. Problem is they are going to be way behind the learning curve so expect a slow start - not to mention the eventual change in QB from Smith to Kaepernick (at some point)

I really doubt that happens this year. I think SF knows they aren't yet really in competitive mode, and they will take some time to develop Kaepernick. No sense rushing him into action if they don't have to.

Well, Alex did play all 16 games in 2006 ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 am

dream_017 wrote:
m16a wrote:

Well, Alex did play all 16 games in 2006 ;-7

Yeah, there's always that... ;-)
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 am

Shark1225 wrote:DEN has John Fox at the helm now isn't he a run first guy so that would seem to help Moreno at the expense of Orton (or Tebow) and some of those WR's.

CAR has a new coach but not much should change as far as style and players. Rookie QB always means lots of INT's so maybe downgrade to Stewart and Williams a little.

Who are the other new coaches and what effect will they have on who to keep?

I wouldn't be too high on Knowshon Moreno. Rumors are circling that once the lockout is ended and free agents can signed, Denver will be pursuing DeAngelo Williams. Coach John Fox coached DWilly in Carolina, and his presence in the Denver offense would relegate Moreno to 3rd down back duties. Moreno is not as complete and developed of a back as Johnathan Stewart, so the carries split is expected to be in Williams' favor should he go to Denver.

Also, an interesting move could be Josh McDaniels, former Patriots coach and Broncos head coach, moving to St. Louis as an offensive coordinator. McDaniels is a better fit as an OC than a head coach, so he will be in his comfortbale role again. Josh McD was a big part of the patriots offensive success in 2007, and also of the Patriots in 2008, who were Brady-less but still managed to go 11-5.

Now, Josh McDaniels doesn't quite have the same talent to work with in St. Louis as he did in New England, but there is a lot of potential. Sam Bradford is a developing quarterback, with solid receivers such as Mark Clayton and Danny Amendola. I would definitely take a flier on some St. Louis wide outs this year. I know there was a sleeper post about Mark Clayton, but Amendola could have a huge year too. If Josh McD turns Amendola into the St. Louis version of Wes Welker, he good be a solid PPR play.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am

m16a wrote:
Guru13 wrote:Cassel, Charles and Bowe I think. Weis isn't there anymore and whether Haley is an offensive guy or not I think those guys suffer a bit - particularly if Haley gets into the playcalling too much. I feel like when offensive head coaches get too into the playcalling (Mike Martz, Josh McD) the team suffers and subsequently fantasy production suffers.

As for the biggest change, I'll echo Guru with Cassel/Charles/Bowe taking a hit. Weis did them a lot of good as we saw. I don't think they will drop off the map, but they probably won't be setting career highs again.

I'd go 2 for 3 on this one.

I suspect you're going to see a decrease in numbers for both Cassel and Bowe. Partially because of Weis' departure, but more significantly because KC is facing a 1st place schedule in '11 and doesn't have the patsy NFC West teams on their schedule this year. If you look at the pass DEF's of their opponents this year, I'd guess Bowe is in for a 7 or 8 TD year, not 15+.

I actually think Charles' numbers could improve. His ypc average is likely to fall of somewhat, but he only had 230 carries in '10. He may be up around 300 this year, so this could easily be a 1600 or 1700 yard rushing season for him.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk