6th round strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

6th round strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

6th round strategy

Postby Pitfan2782 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 pm

What's your strategy for drafting in the 6th round? It can be a crucial pick for most teams, and can even be the difference between a playoff win or loss. Let's say this is your first 5 picks:

Andre Johnson
Roddy White
Philip Rivers
LeSean McCoy
Arian Foster

Assuming Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates have been drafted, where do you go with your next pick, and why?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 6th round strategy

Postby Indibuck » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 pm

It depends on a lot of things... how many do you start at each position? If you start 2 RBs and 3 WRs, you should look at WRs and TEs. If you have a flex position, you should look at RB/WR/TE. This advice is given with the caveat that you don't pass on good value at another position just to fill a "need", especially in the 6th round... i.e. don't reach for a TE if there's tremendous value at RB in the 6th... take the best player available.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Pitfan2782 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:22 pm

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 Flex (te/wr/rb)
1 TE
1 D
1 K

I went Steelers defense last season, and it paid dividends for me all season. My TE and Flex were weak all season, but my top 6 picks carried me to a championship. I'm thinking of going the same route, and picking a defense if one of the top 2 are still on the board. If not, then maybe another RB to help bolster the position.

Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Devil Doc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Pitfan2782 wrote:Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

This brings a whole new meaning to "Texting while driving" :-o

I'm one to go with best players available myself, but it all depends on how the draft is playing out to me. I think the 6th round may be a bit too early for a D/ST, but its hard to argue based on the fact they do get a lot of points.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Indibuck wrote:It depends on a lot of things... how many do you start at each position? If you start 2 RBs and 3 WRs, you should look at WRs and TEs. If you have a flex position, you should look at RB/WR/TE. This advice is given with the caveat that you don't pass on good value at another position just to fill a "need", especially in the 6th round... i.e. don't reach for a TE if there's tremendous value at RB in the 6th... take the best player available.

This. The 6th is still pretty darned close to BPA for me, especially if I have a QB, RB, RB, WR, WR start - if there's a flex spot then that would be ideal, but either way I'd go for the best guy I can get rather than addressing need there (i.e. stretching for a TE or doing something insane like taking a D/ST) ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Re: 6th round strategy

Postby Pitfan2782 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Indibuck wrote:It depends on a lot of things... how many do you start at each position? If you start 2 RBs and 3 WRs, you should look at WRs and TEs. If you have a flex position, you should look at RB/WR/TE. This advice is given with the caveat that you don't pass on good value at another position just to fill a "need", especially in the 6th round... i.e. don't reach for a TE if there's tremendous value at RB in the 6th... take the best player available.

This. The 6th is still pretty darned close to BPA for me, especially if I have a QB, RB, RB, WR, WR start - if there's a flex spot then that would be ideal, but either way I'd go for the best guy I can get rather than addressing need there (i.e. stretching for a TE or doing something insane like taking a D/ST) ...

Yea, I kind of go against the grain sometimes, and I always listen to my gut. When I drafted Foster last season in the 5th in both my drafts, people gave me a strange look like "why pick a nobody that early?" Sometimes you gotta go with instinct. Still, I can see why drafting a defense that early can be a head scratcher.

Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I have always found the best strategy is none at all. Your strategy goes out the window anyway after the first position run.

I take the best possible player each round until I start filling all of one position. For example if I am in the 6th and have 2 rb's, 2 wr's and a TE I am usually going with a WR or QB to finish the position unless the RB available is just so good I cant pass it up.

I wait on D's and K's. If you have a league of really goo players they wont be taken early anyway. I do try to be one of the top 5 or so though when the run on D's starts. But it pretty much always ends up the same for me either way. Last year I tried to jump the gun by taking the Jets. I ended up being top 5 instead of the top D like I hoped. Other times I wait and end up playing Waiver Wire D's all year
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Venom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 pm

6th for me in 90% of leagues is my WR3 or my RB3 so its always BPA of the two positions.

By this round I have filled my RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2 and either QB1 or TE1. I would NEVER consider taking a D/ST this high. If I take a D/ST in a round that isn't double digits, I am on autodraft ;-)
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm guessing this is a 5 player keeper league?

Go BPA (won't be K or D), if Finley or Vernon (not Witten) are available I would give them strong consideration.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:26 am

Me personally I love the upside of Finley, I was taking him before Clark last year and probably would this year too. He wouldn't be a bad pick at all here, but that's impossible to say without knowing the value of WR or RB left. Because if say Jonathan Stewart is here I'd take him and look for Finley later.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer