Trade for 2nd 1st Rounder New PPR Dynasty - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trade for 2nd 1st Rounder New PPR Dynasty

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade for 2nd 1st Rounder New PPR Dynasty

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 am

We just finalized our draft order and I ended up with the 2nd pick in the 12 team draft. Which I plan on using on either ADP or Chris Johnson most likely. Soon after our order was finalized one of the owners opened up the idea of trade his pick which was 4th overall. I showed my interest but he was more looking to possibly move down in the first and not out of the first. But another owner came in and offered me this deal. Would you do this deal in a new Dynasty league or would it be to risky giving up 3 picks in the top 5 rounds for 2 picks in the top 5 picks?

2nd Round
3rd Round
5th Round

for

1st Round #5

My traded picks would fall in the bottom of the 2nd top of the 3rd and bottom of the 5th for the #5 overall draft selection to pair with the #2 overall selection. Would you pull the trigger or try to build a stronger foundation overall?
QB- Roethlisberger, Rivers, Foles
RB- McCoy, Lynch, L James, Ivory, F Jackson, D Thomas, Turbin
WR- Julio, Bowe, D Bryant, D Jax, Amendola, Broyles, Gordon, Hill
TE- Celek, D Allen
DEF- Giants
K- Zuerlin
D- D Washington, S Weatherspoon, L Kuechly
Philly_05
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade for 2nd 1st Rounder New PPR Dynasty

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 am

IMO, yes it would be way too risky to give up that many early round picks to try and land a stud. More then likely every pick in those rounds is a stud at another position you'd be giving up. IMO it's not worth it, the teams who move back in those situations end up alot better in the long run. So while your waiting for your 3rd player he's doubling up players in important rounds like 2 and 3. I just don't think it'd be worth it in the long run, in a year or 2 you'd be looking at who was drafted in those rounds and how good they are and even if you hit big on your two 1st rd picks I would rather keep the picks personally.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 am

You gotta think long and hard about your strategy here. I would do this if and only if you are going to take either Calvin and Nicks, or one of those WRs and Rodgers.

If your core is

Rivers (4th round pick)
Calvin
Nicks

or

Rodgers
Calvin
Harvin (4th round pick)

As far as cores, those are pretty elite IMO. You can take a 2012 strategy and load up on RBs like Spiller, Delone Carter, and Kendall Hunter. Your team will probably struggle this year, but get Trent Richardson or Knile Davis in the rookie draft.

Best case scenario two of your "project" RBs are at least RB2s, and you add a RB1 in the 2012 draft. (Of course this makes it key not to move any of your 2012 rookie picks to move up in the startup draft.) Then in 2012 you will have one of the better teams and possible an elite team.

If it's a big money league or you're looking to compete now, this might not work for you. There are plenty of startup strategies that work longterm, you just gotta execute it.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I wouldn't do it... you are really putting yourself behind the 8-ball just to grab 2 studs. You will have to play catchup the rest of the draft. Two studs does not make a winning squad IMHO.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Venom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 pm

This is how I look at the trade based on approximate draft position:

You give: Matt Forte/Desean Jackson/Tony Romo

for

Ray Rice

This obviously isn't 100% accurate, but gives a great idea of the kind of value you are giving up for that pick.

I think I would rather have the 3 players above than that 1-2 punch RB combo you will get by trading.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks guys I decided to reject the offer and move forward with all my draft selections for the draft. ;-D
QB- Roethlisberger, Rivers, Foles
RB- McCoy, Lynch, L James, Ivory, F Jackson, D Thomas, Turbin
WR- Julio, Bowe, D Bryant, D Jax, Amendola, Broyles, Gordon, Hill
TE- Celek, D Allen
DEF- Giants
K- Zuerlin
D- D Washington, S Weatherspoon, L Kuechly
Philly_05
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:17 pm

The pick value calculator says you lose by 64 points. I say the same. If I were doing an inaugural draft I would love to be on the other side of that deal and end up with two 2nds, two 3rd a 4th and two 5ths to start me dynasty. Turn the deal down.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dblj9911 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 am

Check out this pick value calculator, it works pretty well and gives you a rough idea of if you shold or shouldn't make a move. I would say no unless you are getting more out of the deal.

http://www.footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 75)

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 am

bungle613 wrote:The pick value calculator says you lose by 64 points. I say the same. If I were doing an inaugural draft I would love to be on the other side of that deal and end up with two 2nds, two 3rd a 4th and two 5ths to start me dynasty. Turn the deal down.

dblj9911 wrote:Check out this pick value calculator, it works pretty well and gives you a rough idea of if you shold or shouldn't make a move. I would say no unless you are getting more out of the deal.

http://www.footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm

It's a good tool for redrafts, but less so for dynasty drafts IMHO... I think the value differences are more pronounced in an inaugural dynasty draft.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions