Best sleeper (if any) on the Rams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best sleeper (if any) on the Rams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best sleeper (if any) on the Rams?

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:40 pm

I love that the Rams have not only what looks to be a rock solid QB in Sam Bradford but also Josh McDaniels directing the offense. After what he did with Orton and Bradon Lloyd I have to figure at least one or more players on the Rams could explode. The defenses they face will be awful this year too.

Any thoughts on which WR or other could be a serious value? What ADP do you think he (they?) will likely have?

...another thought, which of the Rams receivers has the most similar skill set as B Lloyd?
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best sleeper (if any) on the Rams?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 pm

I like Danny Amendola. I feel he could continue improving as the team improves. 85/689/3 isn't horrible. I feel he would be a nice late round gamble
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby LMack » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I like Danny Amendola. I feel he could continue improving as the team improves. 85/689/3 isn't horrible. I feel he would be a nice late round gamble

I agree with Danny Amendola. The consensus seems to be that the Rams offense will be improved this year, so somebody has to have increased production. Others think it is going to be Mark Clayton, http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/sleepers.php
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I think I saw it posted that Amendola had one of the worst yards-after-the-catch stats in history for a WR with as many catches as he had last season. I also seem to remember the McDaniel's offenses are designed for after-the-catch production. Makes me a little leery of expecting a whole lot from Amendola.

I did see that Way-To-Go-Donnie! Avery was consistently running 4.2s and 4.3s again and that the rookie they drafted Greg Salas was a TD machine in college, last year in particular.

I don't know enough about McDaniel's offenses enough to know whether this will be a WR committee, does anyone here know/have a guess?

I like the link above regarding Mark Clayton? Will definitely grab him in the 14th!
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm

I think it's a good idea to roll the dice and take 1, or 2 late in any redraft. 1 of them will be really productive, and be great value in the draft. Call me crazy but I think Salas is gonna be the most productive out of everyone in the 1st year. He's got a much better skill set then Amendola has and alot more talented. His draft position with this regime is gonna give him every opportunity to win that job and I have no doubt he does. He'll be the security blanket underneath on routes, and I see an Eddie Royal like impact.

Longterm, Pettis seems like he can develop into their big #1 WR in a more traditional sense, but I like Salas to rack up a bunch of catches early and often. Avery is going to make plays in the passing game and keep the defense honest, but his numbers will be sketchy and sporadic, that's if he can stay healthy.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby murphysxm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:08 pm

I personally feel like McDaniels kills Amendola. Anybody remember what Josh did to Royal last year? I really think Bradford-Clayton is going to be a great tandom
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:49 am

murphysxm wrote:I personally feel like McDaniels kills Amendola. Anybody remember what Josh did to Royal last year? I really think Bradford-Clayton is going to be a great tandom

Royal was substantially worse in 09. Substantially.

I think Alexander has the best chance to be the Brandon Lloyd of this year, since that's what everyone is asking. Good speed, very talented - to me he's already taken Avery's job, who I think could be fighting for a roster spot.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Concerning Royal, you have to consider the fact that McD automatically demoted anyone who was a holdover from the Shanahan era. He won't really have a chance to do that as the OC in STL.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Regarding Eddie Royal and McDaniels' use of him, Dean Wormer would have rightly called McDaniels is a "sneaky little sh*t."

Remember when McDevil took over in Denver and everyone assumed that Royal would be The Man until Marshall returned from suspension? Remember how Royal WAS The Man in all those pre-season games? Then McD used all that hype and turned Royal in to a decoy in 09. Not sure what the deal was in 10 but I believe Eddie had some back issues so we may never know what designs if any McDevil had for him.

I believe I also read somewhere, maybe Peter King, that McDaniels seemed to be under the impression that he could turn anyone into a stud QB. Perhaps he thinks his system can do the same for any able-bodied WR?

Lesson here: expect the unexpected with McDevil. Although as of right now I am leaning in the same direction as LS2Throwed in that Salas could be the guy in 2011 due to TDs and draft position.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 am

This is the second or third time I've mentioned this but there is so much love for Salas right now and it doesn't make any sense. He's got excellent hands and apparently doesn't mind going over the middle but the more I read the more I'm convinced of what I originally thought of him. He's gonna need serious route running help and he's not even a big red zone target. In fact he's not even the biggest receiver they drafted - both Pettis and Kendricks are bigger, and Pettis' hands are also considered a strong point of his game. Salas is likely going to be most successful in the slot and not only is that Amendola's spot, if Salas were to start getting playing time there it would only be a small amount. Amendola's yards after the catch is a slight concern but I more or less watched every Ram's game last year and there's no doubt in my mind that he's got that spot locked down.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk