Keepers for 2011 - Need Advice - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keepers for 2011 - Need Advice - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Keepers for 2011 - Need Advice - WHIR

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

What will Mike Thomas cost to keep?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 pm

bungle613 wrote:What will Mike Thomas cost to keep?

That was the name that appealled to me as well. My guess is he was drafted way late if at all. He's not gonna be an every week plug and play, but he's the #1 on his team and value is value
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby jbird669 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 am

Instinctive wrote:
jbird669 wrote:I should mention I can't keep Forte since I already kept him for two years.

At the 7th pick, the guys I'd take over him (Aaron Rogers, CJ28, MJD) will probably be gone. So Megatron will probably be the best player available.

The other player I was considering keeping was Bradford. The top 7 QBs will either be kept or gone by round 3, so I figure he's my best bet.

Keeping Bradford is a poor decision (and I obviously really like him haha) purely because you should be able to get him after the 5th round. Even if you take him in the 6th...not keeping him gave you more value.

If Calvin would be the best pick anytime at or before your 1st rounder, it makes sense to keep him instead of keeping your first rounder. I would consider keeping Knox, depending on how late you got him.

Bradford won't last past Round 4. It's a keeper league. The last starting QB drafted last year (that wasn't kept) was in Round 5 and that was Kevin Kolb. QBs don't last long since we have 6 Pts for all TDs.
My titles
2007 - 12 team 1/2 PPR Keeper League - Untitled JJ Abrams Project
2009 - 12 team ESPN PPR league - Fightin' Amish

Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 am

I edited my roster post so you know what round I drafted players as well as who was free agents. I also posted my keeper rules in the roster post.
My titles

jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Instinctive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am

jbird669 wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
jbird669 wrote:I should mention I can't keep Forte since I already kept him for two years.

At the 7th pick, the guys I'd take over him (Aaron Rogers, CJ28, MJD) will probably be gone. So Megatron will probably be the best player available.

The other player I was considering keeping was Bradford. The top 7 QBs will either be kept or gone by round 3, so I figure he's my best bet.

Keeping Bradford is a poor decision (and I obviously really like him haha) purely because you should be able to get him after the 5th round. Even if you take him in the 6th...not keeping him gave you more value.

If Calvin would be the best pick anytime at or before your 1st rounder, it makes sense to keep him instead of keeping your first rounder. I would consider keeping Knox, depending on how late you got him.

Bradford won't last past Round 4. It's a keeper league. The last starting QB drafted last year (that wasn't kept) was in Round 5 and that was Kevin Kolb. QBs don't last long since we have 6 Pts for all TDs.

You should take advantage of that then. Your league drastically overvalues QBs on the basis of the myth that 6 pts all TDs makes them incredibly valuable. In reality, the difference between QB1 and QB12 in 4 vs 6 pt TDs leagues is about an extra 1.5 ppg. No big deal. You should be able to load up on other talent then.

But hey, if you can keep Bradford as a 5th rounder year after year, it could be a good move for the future.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby jbird669 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 am

Bump
My titles

jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby snixx79 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 pm

The way i see it, essentially all 12 teams will protect probably 2 offensive players, making your 1.07 pick essentially a 3rd rd pick. Keeping Megatron is a no brainer. I like Bradford....but even if u keep him, and surrender a 5th, (so basically a 7th/8th rd pick) its a reach. However, there arent many other options value wise on your team. I would say pure value wise for 2011, Fred Jackson would be the best value..but being a keeper league he isnt too attractive long term. If it were a league that you could keep players year after year in, i would bradford is an easy call. But since you can only keep for a max 2 years....im not so sold. Pure value wise based on a 2 year outlook, Id say the value lies in 1 of 3 places. Bradford/Knox/Thomas. And while Qbs get 6 pts in your league, i have no doubt that you'd be able to land a better QB than Bradford (Stafford/Freeman/Roethlisberger perhaps). You may even get to snap Bradford back up.... I dont think he will be gone by rd 4 if players can only be kept for 2 years. That means someone would pass up a decent RB2 or WR2 to grab a backup QB early...? Though possible, Id be surprised. Id keep one of the WR's (Knox/Thomas) and draft RB/RB/QB with your first 3 picks.

Thanks for the help on mine!
snixx79
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:49 am

All things considered; I would keep Calvin, Bradford and either Thomas/Ford/Jackson.

Can you only keep 2 FAs?
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ben jammin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:08 pm

I would definately keep Johnson. Chances are, he won't be there at your pick. Your choices for second keeper are:
Bradford for a fifth, which about 4 rounds early
Moreno for a second, which is 2 rounds early
Knox for a seventh, which is one round later

Knox seems like the most value. I am not going by ADP, just going off a mock draft in front of me. Hope this helps. Good luck.
ben jammin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jbird669 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm

TexasBornCowboysFan wrote:All things considered; I would keep Calvin, Bradford and either Thomas/Ford/Jackson.

Can you only keep 2 FAs?

No, we can keep 3 players total, all of which can be FA's. The only stipulation with keepers is we must keep one IDP.

I am curious what everyone's outlook on Knox is now that Roy Williams is in the mix?
My titles

jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions