NFL Rule Changes 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Rule Changes 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL Rule Changes 2011

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:59 am

Anyone want to discuss recent rule changes? Here's one:

Yahoo and Fox are reporting that head coaches will no longer be able to challenge scoring plays. Instead, every scoring play will be reviewed automatically by a replay official. If the replay official finds the play questionable, then the (head?) referee will review the play. The replay official must give authorization before play continues.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... frm_woah=1

The Yahoo article suggests this will make games longer. I suspect it will also make it harder to do surprise two-point conversions.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Rule Changes 2011

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 am

I doubt it will make the games longer in a way that is obvious to the fans, at least not the fans watching on TV. I'd expect that the broadcast networks will use this review time to play commercials while the replay is under way and the teams are bringing their special teams units onto the field, so it will effectively just be a time where you can go get another beer.

As for the sneak 2 point conversion attempt, this doesn't seem to be an integral part of too many teams' playbooks anyway. I'm trying to recall the last time I even observed one that was disguised as a PAT. Maybe there is one or two per season?

I like the rule change. Since the coaches challenges are limited, and the scoring plays are obviously integral to the game outcome, I think this is fair to both teams. Let the replay official look at every scoring play and get them right. Often times, scoring plays tend to involve officials who are either on the move (long passing TDs), their view is partially obscured by other players (goal line RB plunge) or they just don't have a great view of the goal line plane for whatever reason. So the officials are more prone to screw these up.

It free's the coaches up to think about other stratetic places where it makes since for them to use their challenges.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 pm

spodog wrote:I doubt it will make the games longer in a way that is obvious to the fans, at least not the fans watching on TV. I'd expect that the broadcast networks will use this review time to play commercials while the replay is under way and the teams are bringing their special teams units onto the field, so it will effectively just be a time where you can go get another beer.

As for the sneak 2 point conversion attempt, this doesn't seem to be an integral part of too many teams' playbooks anyway. I'm trying to recall the last time I even observed one that was disguised as a PAT. Maybe there is one or two per season?

I like the rule change. Since the coaches challenges are limited, and the scoring plays are obviously integral to the game outcome, I think this is fair to both teams. Let the replay official look at every scoring play and get them right. Often times, scoring plays tend to involve officials who are either on the move (long passing TDs), their view is partially obscured by other players (goal line RB plunge) or they just don't have a great view of the goal line plane for whatever reason. So the officials are more prone to screw these up.

It free's the coaches up to think about other stratetic places where it makes since for them to use their challenges.

Agreed. Way too many times in recent years we've seen coaches have to spend a challenge on a pretty clear scoring play, or risk getting stuffed four times from the 1 like the Bears did last season. If you challenge a scoring play, win or lose, there's a very real chance you only have one more challenge left for the rest of the game - as often as these things arise, I'm all for taking it out of the coaches' hands and handling it this way, even if it takes a couple more minutes a game ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I am already at the game - it taking 15 minutes or more longer to complete the game isn't going to bother me. If it is 15 minutes all in one chunk waiting on a decision - then yes, it would bother me. Knowing that there is a better chance of them getting the call right or my team not having to waste a challenge on close scoring play is going to make me feel much better leaving than wondering what if.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:33 pm

I don't like it at all. I have seen too many replayed plays that have been wrong calls, and quite frankly, if a head coach is dumb enough not to challenge an obviously reversable play, why shouldn't his team suffer for it rather than get bailed out by a replay official? The zebra is responsible for the call on the field, the head coaches are responsible for any challenges to those decisions. I see nothing wrong with that, that is unless you just want to do away with all replays. I'd be fine with that.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 am

moochman wrote: if a head coach is dumb enough not to challenge an obviously reversable play, why shouldn't his team suffer for it rather than get bailed out by a replay official?

I think the problem with this is that the coaches are limited on their replays. If they had unlimited use of the challenge, then I'd agree with you.

What happens to the coach who has 2 or even 3 questionable scoring plays go against his team in a single half?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 am

spodog wrote:
moochman wrote: if a head coach is dumb enough not to challenge an obviously reversable play, why shouldn't his team suffer for it rather than get bailed out by a replay official?

I think the problem with this is that the coaches are limited on their replays. If they had unlimited use of the challenge, then I'd agree with you.

What happens to the coach who has 2 or even 3 questionable scoring plays go against his team in a single half?

Then we need new refs O:-) :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am

I know some people like the human aspect of refereeing, but scoring plays should always be ruled on correctly. This should help do that.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Return to Football Talk