RB/WR combos - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

RB/WR combos

Moderator: Football Moderators

RB/WR combos

Postby Pitfan2782 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm

I know a lot of people like to have a QB/WR combo, like Manning to Wayne, or Schaub to Johnson, but how do people feel about RB/WR combos. Well, it's not really a combo, since it's either one or the other getting the points, but do people try to stay away from having a RB and WR from the same team?
Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: RB/WR combos

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Pitfan2782 wrote:I know a lot of people like to have a QB/WR combo, like Manning to Wayne, or Schaub to Johnson, but how do people feel about RB/WR combos. Well, it's not really a combo, since it's either one or the other getting the points, but do people try to stay away from having a RB and WR from the same team?

I actually try to stay away from both combos. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, sure if you get a combo from a high flying team it can be good, but there are just too many drawbacks - an injury more than likely hurts any combo, a bad game or going up against a tough defense hurts your team for the week. I like to have options and the best option is to spread your players around different teams ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Instinctive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:18 pm

I typically ignore what other players I have on my team beyond the "I have 3 RBs and only 1 WR with no QB yet" basics.

It doesn't matter at all to me. If I think Sidney Rice is the best available receiver, the fact that I have Adrian Peterson is irrelevant.

If I think Michael Turner is the best available RB, the fact that I have Roddy White already means nothing.

You're overthinking things by going into WR/RB combo should-I-or-not issues...
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Instinctive wrote:It doesn't matter at all to me. If I think Sidney Rice is the best available receiver, the fact that I have Adrian Peterson is irrelevant.

If I think Michael Turner is the best available RB, the fact that I have Roddy White already means nothing.

Hit the nail right on the head. It's nothing that should either be actively seeked out or avoided - let things happen as they will and take the best player/fill a need regardless of whether you already have a teammate rostered or not ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Instinctive wrote:It doesn't matter at all to me. If I think Sidney Rice is the best available receiver, the fact that I have Adrian Peterson is irrelevant.

Hit the nail right on the head. It's nothing that should either be actively seeked out or avoided - let things happen as they will and take the best player/fill a need regardless of whether you already have a teammate rostered or not ...

If the players available are close then I am going with the player from the other team than what I already drafted. If the player available is clear cut better then I would have no problem taking a player from the same team. I don't seek it out or avoid it completely - that is a huge mistake going into a draft(you need to be flexible), but I would rather not have players from the same team - at least in my QB/RB/WRs
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Instinctive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 pm

dream_017 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

If the players available are close then I am going with the player from the other team than what I already drafted. If the player available is clear cut better then I would have no problem taking a player from the same team. I don't seek it out or avoid it completely - that is a huge mistake going into a draft(you need to be flexible), but I would rather not have players from the same team - at least in my QB/RB/WRs

If we really want to go there, there's a massive benefit to having a majority of your players on the same bye week, and so players on the same team are actually good for a team.

Think about it. I would rather have Rodgers and Jennings than Rivers and Jennings or Rodgers and, say Mike Williams (similarly ranked). The fact that they are on the same team is even better. If my first 2-4 rounds nets me 3+ guys with the same bye week, I actually actively look to a guy with the same bye week in a tiebreaker if I have two guys ranked the same at a later pick.

This allows you to tank one week and then be at full strength when most teams spread out bye weeks and you'll be a full team going against teams with one or two guys on bye every week.

Again though - not something you look for, just somethign that you shouldn't care about if it happens. I would go so far as to say it is stupid to downgrade a RB or WR on your draft board because you already have that team's WR or RB...
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Instinctive wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

If we really want to go there, there's a massive benefit to having a majority of your players on the same bye week, and so players on the same team are actually good for a team.

Think about it. I would rather have Rodgers and Jennings than Rivers and Jennings or Rodgers and, say Mike Williams (similarly ranked). The fact that they are on the same team is even better. If my first 2-4 rounds nets me 3+ guys with the same bye week, I actually actively look to a guy with the same bye week in a tiebreaker if I have two guys ranked the same at a later pick.

This allows you to tank one week and then be at full strength when most teams spread out bye weeks and you'll be a full team going against teams with one or two guys on bye every week.

Again though - not something you look for, just somethign that you shouldn't care about if it happens. I would go so far as to say it is stupid to downgrade a RB or WR on your draft board because you already have that team's WR or RB...

Not sure I said that I would downgrade a player :-? I said similar ranked players. I'm also going to disagree with it being a massive benefit having the majority of your players on the same bye week and tanking that week.

How did Rodgers and Jennings do in week 8/10/14 last year - I'm guessing that would be more than the 1 bye week tank - hopefully you had the fantasy bye week for week 14 and week 8 didn't cost you. Even a high flying fantasy team like the Packers can have struggles - one or more bad games really puts you behind the 8-ball. I'll take my chances with Team A having a bad game and Team B having a bad game - or Team A RB getting hurt and Team B WR getting hurt - if I had the choice ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby Venom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't see any benefit to having a RB and WR on the same team.

If anything, I see a small disadvantage when it comes to planning for replacing during a bye week...but not so much that I would skip over a player simply because they are on the same team. I would rather have the guy I want for 13 weeks and miss out on 1 than to pass him up altogether.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Calyxes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Pitfan2782 wrote:I know a lot of people like to have a QB/WR combo, like Manning to Wayne, or Schaub to Johnson, but how do people feel about RB/WR combos. Well, it's not really a combo, since it's either one or the other getting the points, but do people try to stay away from having a RB and WR from the same team?

I don't shy away from it. If it is the right combo you could be in a good spot. Just think about if you had moss and brady a few years back :-o
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 pm

I try to draft and formulate my team based on best available player. That being said, I will avoid QB/WR combos if i can help it... there's typically too much scoring fluctuation from week to week. I have no problems with RB/WR combos, if it's the right offense.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions