Yahoo Autodraft "Hack"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Yahoo Autodraft "Hack"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo Autodraft "Hack"?

Postby thecubsyear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I have an upcoming draft in September, but my wife is due with our son on 9/1, so I'm preparing a Yahoo Autodraft Preranking List in case I can't make the draft.

Drafting a K and DEF in the 9th and 10th rounds makes me want to vomit. So my idea is this:

Exclude all K and DEF and just pick up ones off the WW. Even if left one K or DEF at the very bottom of my list, it would still take the best available K or DEF when my other starting spots are full.

Does anyone have any experience with excluding all K/DEF on autodraft preranking? I've heard stories of yahoo taking 7 consecutive RB when it can't get a starting spot?
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo Autodraft "Hack"?

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 pm

I haven't playe don Yahoo is a few years but there are always posts here about what autopick did. It is a finicky system that is tough to manage perfectly. I would try the exclusions but don't be surprised to own 6 RB and 6 TE at the end of it.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Do not autopick. Your son will be there when the draft is over.

:-b

Congrats. ;-D I'd try punting a public league first and test your theory out before potentially ruining your draft in your good league. If not see if you can get your mates to move it up a week or so.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby thecubsyear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I've searched the forums for this topic, but the threads are old. Many say that Yahoo has "fixed the bug" in the algorithm for autodraft.

I wish there was a button that said "Don't pick a K until round XX" or something like that.

I joined a yahoo league and preranked 160 players (16 per team, 10 teams). I excluded all K and DEF. It drafts tomorrow in the AM. I'll reply to this post with my findings.
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thecubsyear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Venom wrote:Do not autopick. Your son will be there when the draft is over.

Autodrafting makes me almost as sick as picking a K in round 9.

Lucky for me this is my least $ league...I've convinced the wife to let me draft my other more important leagues.

You'd think Yahoo would be more responsive to popular basic drafting strategies like waiting on K, etc. or at least give more experienced drafters an option to not take a K in the 9th and a backup K in the 16th, etc.
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Agreed.

I know that at My Fantasy League you can customize your draft list by position...and then customize each round to a specific position or BPA.

Yahoo should have done this rather than adding a mock drafting service.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:42 am

Prerank your players well. Autopicking is fine, but put DST and kickers last (k last)
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thecubsyear » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 am

MadDog36 wrote:Prerank your players well. Autopicking is fine, but put DST and kickers last (k last)

No, that doesn't work at all. Even if you rank all your kickers in the 500's, when Yahoo fills all other starting spots, it will skip down to your highest rated K and select him. What I'm trying is to have no kickers or DEF on my autodraft list.

Draft is in an hour. I'll have an answer after then.

When I draft live, unless the league requires it, I never take a K or DEF. I'd rather speculate on a RB who might get the job, then drop him the day before the first game if I need to. Way more valuable than having a "good" kicker.
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thecubsyear » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 am

Whelp, just entered my yahoo draft room and looked at the player list....

All my K and DEF have been dropped to the very bottom of the list (in the 2000's)

On top of that, they are in reverse order of the way I excluded them (ex. I excluded PIT first, NYJ second, etc. but PIT is on the bottom of the list and NYJ second from the bottom) It will probably autodraft the worst K and DEF possible for me.

Stupid yahoo....so when you "exclude", you're not really excluding players, you're just dropping them to the very end of the list.

I'll see what happens in R9. Bleah.
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thecubsyear » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am

Good news and Bad news:

The Good news: Round 8 and 9 came and went, and I am still without a K or DEF

The Bad news: All it is doing now is picking RBs. I got 3 straight RBs with picks 8,9,10...even guys who were ranked lower than WR or QBs.

Guess they haven't fixed the algorithm.

I guess having 7 backup RBs isn't the worst thing to have...but I'll obv. have to drop or trade some for backup WR and a starting K and DEF.
thecubsyear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions