When to start on Sleepers and Hand-Cuffs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

When to start on Sleepers and Hand-Cuffs

Moderator: Football Moderators

When to start on Sleepers and Hand-Cuffs

Postby Pitfan2782 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:16 pm

In a 10-team PPR league, and we carry 17 players on our roster, counting the starters. This is how our starting lineup looks like:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
1 TE
1 D
1 K

The first 5 rounds all go into creating my 'core' players for the season (RB, WR, QB), but when do I start to think about drafting my sleepers or hand cuffs? Also, my last three rounds are dedicated to my 2nd defense and my 2 kickers.
Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: When to start on Sleepers and Hand-Cuffs

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:28 pm

You should only draft 1 K and 1 DEF in the last 2-3 rounds. I would get your starters and a back-up or 2 then look at sleepers. Depends what you call a sleeper too. You should only have 1-2 sleeper type players with that roster, if that. I would not actively be looking for a sleeper and just draft the best player available - maybe if there is a guy you like or heard about here at the Cafe that is a sleeper - take him with one of your last 3 picks :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 pm

It really depends on who you get and how the draft falls. If you have MJD, it's definitely a need to have Jennings. Someone like Mendenhall or McCoy, you probably don't need to take the handcuff til much later. That said, 6th round in a 10 teamer is WAY too early to start taking sleeprs and handcuffs. You still have plenty of guys available who are solid depth guys and can help your team. I'd suggest waiting til the 9th round to start looking for sleepers and "upside" type guys in a 10 teamer. ( I don't mean buried guys, since it's not so likely you'll use them, but more guys like Amendola or Bess who could have things go well if they have some breaks go their way) Also, I would NOT suggest taking 2 kickers and 2 D/STs. That's just a waste of two roster spaces that could be devoted to some deep sleeper RB or WR or even a QB prospect or something like that. I'm a bit biased against the handcuff idea. I like building a solid team based on all different teams, not just guys from one team. So, take my advice to wait til later with that in mind. I'd also suggest trying out some mock drafting on sites such as this one. It can help you iron your strategy and see how guys you want and like will fall. It's probably the best way to get a feel for when taking handcuffs/sleepers would start. Good luck, and enjoy drafting. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Pitfan2782 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks for all the advice, and I don't know why I said I run two kickers, ha.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby P1Army » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 pm

can you not do waiver pick ups...or trades? Why would you ever draft 2 kickers and 2 DSTs? PLus there aren't really sleepers in a 10 team league everyone has studs spilling out of their roster. I don't take fliers, till late, keep an open mind and look at overall value...even if you end up a bit lopsided, receiver or RB you can deal some of those guys early to balance out your roster. If He is truly a sleeper he will go undrafter in 10 team.
Send questions direct to my twitter account @gallegosdavidm
P1Army
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions