Offensive Player Slot (OP Slot) Drafting? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Offensive Player Slot (OP Slot) Drafting?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offensive Player Slot (OP Slot) Drafting?

Postby jdrush » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 pm

12 Team, regular ESPN scoring league. Random draft position 1 week before draft. The only thing is that is is a 2 player keeper league and has an Offensive Player Slot (OP) to start every week. You can start whoever you want, RB, QB, WR, TE in the OP Slot.

1 QB, 2RB, 1 RB/WR, 2WR, 1 OP, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST

Should I treat the draft like a 2 QB, 12 team league?

I was thinking to draft RB, QB, RB, QB in the first four rounds. What do you guys think? Or should Ibe sure to leave the 5th round with top 15 QBs? This would be a fine line to walk since there might be a run on QB early. Optimistically, I would hope for Rivers/Freeman or Romo/E.Manning.
jdrush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Offensive Player Slot (OP Slot) Drafting?

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 pm

It should be treated as a 2 QB league. I would definitely try to get 2 top 12 QBs. Where is your pick in the draft? Hopefully you can get a sense of the quarterback drafting pace by the time you're on the clock.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby jdrush » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks. We don't have our draft positions yet. I would hate to lose the opportunity to get a great RB though.
jdrush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Venom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm not sure what the standard is at ESPN as I haven't played there. Unless QBs get premium points I would just treat it as another RB/WR flex spot. More chances for you at those two positions than to sentence yourself to HAVING to take a 2nd starting QB, and then at least 1 more for a backup.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 am

jdrush wrote:Should I treat the draft like a 2 QB, 12 team league?

This. The OP spot does include QBs, and you'll want to try to get two top-12 guys and another viable starter to use for by weeks, etc. Any run-of-the mill guy is usually a better play than a WR4-type on a weekly basis, and while it might seem like a bummer to miss a top RB, if you have something like Rogers and Schaub after the first two rounds, you won't be disappointed later on in the season ;-D

BTW, welcome to the Cafe! Great to see a new face around here, and hope you'll stick around here - you'll love it!
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

WaCougMBS wrote:
jdrush wrote:Should I treat the draft like a 2 QB, 12 team league?

This. The OP spot does include QBs, and you'll want to try to get two top-12 guys and another viable starter to use for by weeks, etc. Any run-of-the mill guy is usually a better play than a WR4-type on a weekly basis, and while it might seem like a bummer to miss a top RB, if you have something like Rogers and Schaub after the first two rounds, you won't be disappointed later on in the season ;-D

BTW, welcome to the Cafe! Great to see a new face around here, and hope you'll stick around here - you'll love it!

Ditto on what WaCoug said jdrush, welcome to the cafe. We hope you stick around and enjoy the entertaining and knowledgeable we've got here. I played in an ESPN public league, and the scoring for QBs was fairly standard 1pt/25yards, 6pts/Passing TD. Treat it like a 2 QB league, and draft similarly to what WaCoug suggested. But the beauty of the OP slot, if your QB happens to go down, you're not locked into starting a QB and can toss one of your depth guys in. That said, don't try and miss out on a top RB or WR reaching for an extra QB. Definitely try and get a feel for where you draft and how the team is drafting. Maybe try and do a mock draft with your league's settings if that is possible. At any rate, good luck. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby LMack » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

The first year of an OP league with new guys can be tough, so you have to be able to adapt. Although it without a doubt should be treated like a two QB league, every owner may not draft that way. Be prepared to change your drafting strategy based on how quickly quarterbacks are being drafted.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Instinctive » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am

I would easily go for 2 QBs in the first two rounds. QBs score the most points on a weekly basis, but in a typical league there's only 12 starting...and they all score a lot...so they aren't worth that much.

In a league where you can flex one, the QB points are going to dramatically outweigh the RB and WR points from that flex spot.

If I was feeling good about my mid round draft targets this year, I might even go for 3 straight QBs to open. If not, I'll go with 2 QBs and then BPA RB/WR for a long time before targeting Tebow late for his upside as a QB3.

RBs are the easiest position to get off the WW year in and year out. The position is easiest to replace in NFL terms and also most susceptible to injury. Guys give you productive weeks from all over the place - Gerhart had a good game last year, R. Jennings had a solid one, Blount didn't even play til what, week 5? That's not to mention guys like Foster and Bradshaw come out of the middle rounds every year, Hillis types can happen....

QBs don't really do that. Vick last year I would consider a special case, and then Fitzpatrick was a very good pickup. Getting two, or even 3 top flight QBs would be my number 1 goal going into the draft, no doubt about it.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Venom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

To add to my original post I think that even though it may make sense to draft a 2nd starting QB you need to remember that if everyone else does so that is inevitably going to free up some talent at RB and WR. You may change your mind after you see how it plays out.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions