Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round?

Postby jdrush » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Stafford is currently going at 9.03 in standard scoring drafts. He definitely has top-10 potential and I may risk it in a league or two this year. What do y'all think? Grab Shaun Hill late as a safety net?
jdrush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round?

Postby Xtreme » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 am

I live in Detroit, and around here they're cautiously optimistic. The general feeling is, if he can stay healthy, he's a really good QB, possibly top 7 given all the talent around him. Obviously the risk is injury, again. Based on upside, I think an 8th round pick is reasonable.

As for Shaun Hill, they really like him here. I'm not sold. He might be a decent game manager, decent runner, etc, but he's not going to be a guy you feel comfortable sticking in your lineup, even for one week with a good matchup. (unless your league is very large) If you're taking Stafford as your QB1, you want to take your backup in round 10-11.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Venom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 am

I wouldn't take Stafford as my QB1 this year.

I'd probably take him as a good upside pick for my QB2, but you can't place your season on the shoulders of a QB that, although talented, is for the most part unproven and injury prone.

Doesn't help that Detroits LT Backus will miss training camp with a torn pectoral and their RT Cherilus is recovering from knee surgery.

Dynasty? Absolutely. Redraft? Not so much.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 am

Im the same as Venom. Dont take him as a #1. Get him as a backup and hope he becomes a number 1
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:39 am

As a cautiously optimistic but historically pessimistic Lions fan, I will say that Stafford is a GREAT value drafted as a backup, but I wouldn't stake my whole team on him as a No. 1. I did that last year with Kolb, and we all know how that worked out. :~( If you take a solid but unexciting guy like Eli/Ryan/Orton (depending on his team)/Big Ben, etc. then you can afford to draft Stafford and hope that he becomes your No. 1. Hill is only a WW pickup IMO in the event that Stafford gets hurt. I think if he stays healthy the whole season he will be a good QB with all of the talent around him, but he has to stay healthy to do that. WE'll see what happens.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Im the same as Venom. Dont take him as a #1. Get him as a backup and hope he becomes a number 1

Both of these guys are right on. In a 12-teamer, I have no problem platooning him with Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, etc, or even an elite level guy if you are in the right place to get Rodgers, Rivers, and Co. ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 am

I agree that Stafford is ideally a high-end backup or part of a platoon. The 8th round in a 12-team league draft is maybe a hair early, but if you like him, grab him there but get another QB to platoon with him.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 am

I wouldn't take him in the 8th as a QB1. If you wait 2-3 rounds and nab him as a backup, I think that's a great value.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=490637
My titles
2007 - 12 team 1/2 PPR Keeper League - Untitled JJ Abrams Project
2009 - 12 team ESPN PPR league - Fightin' Amish

Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby m16a » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 am

I guess we all sound like a broken record here, but I'm throwing another vote to the "don't draft him as a QB1" dealio. I'd grab him as a high upside QB2 with a steady guy like Eli or Ryan, who probably won't get injured, and then play the matchups. Eli/Ryan type guy most weeks, Stafford against the week passing defenses. If it gets to week 8 or so, and Stafford shows no sign of slowing down and is playing to potential, put him in. That said, if you like him enough in the 8th, pull the trigger. I wouldn't say that's too early, AS LONG AS YOU GRAB A SECOND QB. If he's your only QB, that's a lot of risk.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm

AngryLionsFAn wrote:As a cautiously optimistic but historically pessimistic Lions fan, I will say that Stafford is a GREAT value drafted as a backup, but I wouldn't stake my whole team on him as a No. 1. I did that last year with Kolb, and we all know how that worked out. :~( If you take a solid but unexciting guy like Eli/Ryan/Orton (depending on his team)/Big Ben, etc. then you can afford to draft Stafford and hope that he becomes your No. 1. Hill is only a WW pickup IMO in the event that Stafford gets hurt. I think if he stays healthy the whole season he will be a good QB with all of the talent around him, but he has to stay healthy to do that. WE'll see what happens.

Same exact thing happened to me. I think with the weapons around him he could finish in the top 7. However, his biggest enemy is his own body. Would you really want to roll the dice on your QB1? I'd take him in the ninth but knowing my homer friends, he will be gone in my redraft league by the 7th.
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions