Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Stafford worth a risk in the 8th round?

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Agree with others. There is too much value at QB this year to reach for a risky QB1
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdrush » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm

In all my mock drafts I seem to be in the position of grabbing either Stafford or Bradford as QB 2. Tough Decision with McDaniels head being Bradford's new Offensive Coordinator.
jdrush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby thebigsmooth » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

J Per wrote:
AngryLionsFAn wrote:As a cautiously optimistic but historically pessimistic Lions fan, I will say that Stafford is a GREAT value drafted as a backup, but I wouldn't stake my whole team on him as a No. 1. I did that last year with Kolb, and we all know how that worked out. :~( If you take a solid but unexciting guy like Eli/Ryan/Orton (depending on his team)/Big Ben, etc. then you can afford to draft Stafford and hope that he becomes your No. 1. Hill is only a WW pickup IMO in the event that Stafford gets hurt. I think if he stays healthy the whole season he will be a good QB with all of the talent around him, but he has to stay healthy to do that. WE'll see what happens.

Same exact thing happened to me. I think with the weapons around him he could finish in the top 7. However, his biggest enemy is his own body. Would you really want to roll the dice on your QB1? I'd take him in the ninth but knowing my homer friends, he will be gone in my redraft league by the 7th.

As a Lions fan, this is exactly the expectations that many of us have around here. Stafford, if healthy, could definitely be in the top 7. With the OL a little banged up, and not that spectacular to begin with, fantasy expectations need to be tempered. The Lions need to look at LB and CB once FA starts. Now with the pec injury to Sackus they might also need to address the LT position.

I hope to pair Stafford up with a good/decent fantasy starter. I would love to take him as my QB2 later in the draft but so are most of the guys in my league since we are all Lions fans. Inevitably someone in my league will reach way to early and take him. My guess is that in my league it will be whoever has CJ as they want the chix-rib combo. Could payoff big but too much risk for me if Staff is the #1. If the Lions have a good year it would be one hell of a ride though. ;-D
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ben jammin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 am

I am not targeting him as my QB, but if he is who you want and you don't think he will make it to your pick in the 9th, get him. I usually get my starter in the 6th or 7th. Stafford seems like a good starter when healthy. Good luck.
ben jammin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Calyxes » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 am

If he plays to his potential then yes 8th round would be a good spot to get him. However, I would wait and get my 2nd QB a little later in the draft.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:38 pm

I tend to agree with the assessment of China Doll Stafford. I would not feel comfy with him as my #1, but pretty good with him as my backup with killer potential.
Well, that's potential with a little p. I can't seem to get out of my head how he started last season playing uber-conservative. Worried that if the Lions shore up the D and get any semblance of a run game going, head coach Schwartz may not be one to pass much. Probably over-reacting, but can't get it out of my head.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 pm

I would not feel on sure footing going with Stafford as my QB1 unless my QB2 was Bradford, E. Manning, Kolb (if he is in ARI or MIN) or Garrard.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm

moochman wrote:I tend to agree with the assessment of China Doll Stafford. I would not feel comfy with him as my #1, but pretty good with him as my backup with killer potential.
Well, that's potential with a little p. I can't seem to get out of my head how he started last season playing uber-conservative. Worried that if the Lions shore up the D and get any semblance of a run game going, head coach Schwartz may not be one to pass much. Probably over-reacting, but can't get it out of my head.

Yeah, the way the play book was so friggin' cautious at the start of last season had me worried too. Hopefully that with Best at 100% catching passes out of the backfield, LeShore complimenting him in the running game, and Titus Young having the potential to take some pressure off of CJ it opens up the offense and they take some risks. I'm slightly angry that they have taken the "surround the young QB with weapons" strategy that they did with Joey Blue Skies, but I think Stafford is a much better QB and if he can stay on the field this should be a scary offense. Seeing Backus injured now (even though I've never liked him that much) is cause for concern. As much as we like to rag on him, he is a solid dependable LT, just nothing better then "average" though. The reality is we could do worse. Hopefully next season we "surround Matty with offensive linemen" in the draft.

I'm kinda hoping that Backus' injury makes them think about Jarred Gaither from the Ravens once FA opens though. He's had some injury history (out all last season with a bad back), but He's only a 4th year vet.and it's clear that the Ravens could live without him since they have Oher as well. He should be a FA under the new CBA.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby shmity72 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 am

i wouldn't mind having him as number one but platooned with a bradford or something than yah. his wide outs are great and he's a really smart/gifted come from behind guy.
;-D
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)