New team in a 4 or 5 keeper league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

New team in a 4 or 5 keeper league

Moderator: Football Moderators

New team in a 4 or 5 keeper league

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 am

Here is my team i just drafted in an 12 team Auction draft. either 4 or 5 keepers, then the following drafts are regular ones, with worst records getting highest seeding. Yes PPR. Start 1 QB 3 WR 2RB 1TE and 1 WR/RB/TE. I know that RB is a weakness for me, and not too much depth. Still, what are the opinions on this, possibilities of improving and such. Thanks. Oh, you can trade draft picks as well.

QB: RIvers, Kolb
RB: M Turner, C Benson, M Bush, R Matthews, B Jacobs, T Jones
WR: M Wallace, D Bryant, M Williams (TAM) D Amendola, M Thomas (JAX)
TE: M Lewis (JAX), A Hernandez
D: Chargers
K: M Crosby
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New team in a 4 or 5 keeper league

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 am

BurritoBoy wrote:Here is my team i just drafted in an 12 team Auction draft. either 4 or 5 keepers, then the following drafts are regular ones, with worst records getting highest seeding. Yes PPR. Start 1 QB 3 WR 2RB 1TE and 1 WR/RB/TE. I know that RB is a weakness for me, and not too much depth. Still, what are the opinions on this, possibilities of improving and such. Thanks. Oh, you can trade draft picks as well.

QB: RIvers, Kolb
RB: M Turner, C Benson, M Bush, R Matthews, B Jacobs, T Jones
WR: M Wallace, D Bryant, M Williams (TAM) D Amendola, M Thomas (JAX)
TE: M Lewis (JAX), A Hernandez
D: Chargers
K: M Crosby

First of all, welcome to the Cafe! Always great to see new blood around these parts and I hope to see a lot more of you down the road ;-D

I think you did pretty darned good job for the most part, with RB depth being your biggest concern. You don't have the ideal set of backs for a PPR league, but I think you have a shot at some trades or FA pickups down the road and you nabbed a solid set of keepers. If you keep 5, it'll probably be Wallace, Bryant, Williams, Rivers and one of those RBs (Matthews probably) after this season, and there's nothing wrong with that as you'll be only in need of RB2 and TE for main offensive players in a future draft.

I don't think Jones or Jacobs are long for your team, and they should be the first guys you're ready to "churn" to cover for injuries, byes, etc. Your biggest hope probably will be Kolb getting dealt to a favorable situation and trying to flip him partway through the season for the help you'll likely need at RB. All told, I think you're in the B/B+ range and have a solid shot at a playoff chance - after that, who knows? It's anyone's game at that point ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:33 am

If you keep 5, it'll probably be Wallace, Bryant, Williams, Rivers and one of those RBs (Matthews probably) after this season, and there's nothing wrong with that as you'll be only in need of RB2 and TE for main offensive players in a future draft.

Yeah that's what I was thinking halfway through the draft. I like my WRs, and I drafted Jacobs and Jones pretty much for the reason of needing some type of depth at RB. Hopefully Bush moves to a better situation, or maybe even DMC gets hurt early. Maybe Benson doesn't go away for a long time.

What possibility would you see in trying to get J Charles or Bradshaw, respectively? Do you think I would have to give up too much, the same person has both, but not too much for them at WR. Or I was thinking maybe Mike Thomas and Benson for K Moreno and D Bess?

Thanks for the help
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:42 am

BurritoBoy wrote:
If you keep 5, it'll probably be Wallace, Bryant, Williams, Rivers and one of those RBs (Matthews probably) after this season, and there's nothing wrong with that as you'll be only in need of RB2 and TE for main offensive players in a future draft.

Yeah that's what I was thinking halfway through the draft. I like my WRs, and I drafted Jacobs and Jones pretty much for the reason of needing some type of depth at RB. Hopefully Bush moves to a better situation, or maybe even DMC gets hurt early. Maybe Benson doesn't go away for a long time.

What possibility would you see in trying to get J Charles or Bradshaw, respectively? Do you think I would have to give up too much, the same person has both, but not too much for them at WR. Or I was thinking maybe Mike Thomas and Benson for K Moreno and D Bess?

Thanks for the help

Charles would be a tough get, but you might be able to lure someone in with something like one of those top3 WRs and a crappier RB. Nothing wrong with Amendola as a WR3 in PPR, and if you could couple that with the above Thomas/Benson for Moreno/Bess move that would be very nice for your team in the long run. You might be able to get Bradshaw for a combo like Amendola and a usable RB, but it just depends on the owner - I'm not too keen on investing a lot in Bradshaw in a keeper, but if the price is right (see on the low side) it wouldn't be too bad if the Giants can keep him cobbled together ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:51 am

Charles would be a tough get, but you might be able to lure someone in with something like one of those top3 WRs and a crappier RB. Nothing wrong with Amendola as a WR3 in PPR, and if you could couple that with the above Thomas/Benson for Moreno/Bess move that would be very nice for your team in the long run. You might be able to get Bradshaw for a combo like Amendola and a usable RB, but it just depends on the owner - I'm not too keen on investing a lot in Bradshaw in a keeper, but if the price is right (see on the low side) it wouldn't be too bad if the Giants can keep him cobbled together ...

I think that Amendola is pretty undervalued, though it depends on the status of the receiving corps in St. Louis once this lockout clears up. Aside from the obvious elite RBs, who would you consider investing in as an RB for a keeper. I'd be content having 2 of my 3 stud WRs as keepers, then drafting someone every year like Amendola who gets a lot of catches in this PPR league. I had really wanted to get J Charles in the draft, but he went for 47$, and I'm not looking to spend more than 40 on a player.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 am

BurritoBoy wrote:

I think that Amendola is pretty undervalued, though it depends on the status of the receiving corps in St. Louis once this lockout clears up. Aside from the obvious elite RBs, who would you consider investing in as an RB for a keeper. I'd be content having 2 of my 3 stud WRs as keepers, then drafting someone every year like Amendola who gets a lot of catches in this PPR league. I had really wanted to get J Charles in the draft, but he went for 47$, and I'm not looking to spend more than 40 on a player.

Myriad questions abound ;-)

What was your starting cap? Do the contracts carry over, or once you own a guy he's yours? How about salary increases? In conjunction with those questions, will there be an auction every offseason after keepers are determined?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 am

What was your starting cap? Do the contracts carry over, or once you own a guy he's yours? How about salary increases? In conjunction with those questions, will there be an auction every offseason after keepers are determined?

It isn't a salary cap league, just an auction one. We had 200$ to start the auction with, pretty standard. Then the following season drafts are regular NFL style ones, worst teams getting highest picks and so forth. Pick keepers after every season. If I play the season with the current roster, I would go into the next draft targeting only RBs TEs and depth, but all of the elite RBs (with the exception of the couple who we don't know about yet) will be surely kept. I would keep the 3 WRs Rivers, and probably Matthews or whoever my next highest preformer was, possibly a FA that broke out and I got to first. Maybe even Amendola if I have no better option, as it is a PPR league. The point system has rushing and receiving points exactly the same, but rushing is generally more consistent to predict than receiving.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I just got offered this trade in this league. We keep 5. Read above to see my roster info and points stuff.

I give Mike Wallace, Michael Turner, and my 2nd rounder next year

I get Jamaal Charles, Mario Manningham, and her 1st rounder next year.

What are thoughts on this trade, should I do it, or counter with what? Yahoo! projections says I win this deal by a lot. And I like the first rounder. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Her roster before this trade is:

QB-Drew Brees, Big Ben
RB- Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Bradshaw, Roy Helu, Fred Jackson, Ryan Grant
WR- Brandon Marshall, Mario Manningham, Austin Collie, Jerome Simpson, Sidney Rice
TE- Owen Daniels, Tony Gonzales
K- Sebastian Janikowski
Lions D/ST
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Roster Ratings