Handcuffing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Handcuffing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Handcuffing

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Okay, so I know that if you draft an elite RB, you should always draft his handcuff. But what do you guys think about drafting handcuffs to middle-of-the-road starters, or RBBC with no established leader.

For example, we know Ryan Torain is probably the number 1 right now in WAS, but Keiland Williams or Roy Helu could step in and have a great year. If I draft Torain, should I draft one of those two, or just bank on Torain getting the most touches.

Would you sacrifice a pick and play it safe by drafting both guys or would you roll the dice on one so you can use the other pick to roll the dice on another?
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Handcuffing

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 pm

J Per wrote:Okay, so I know that if you draft an elite RB, you should always draft his handcuff.

I would not agree with that. There are a number of factors that go into it, but handcuffing a RB in my opinion is usually a waste
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 pm

dream_017 wrote:
J Per wrote:Okay, so I know that if you draft an elite RB, you should always draft his handcuff.

I would not agree with that. There are a number of factors that go into it, but handcuffing a RB in my opinion is usually a waste

I never do it but I thought I was in the minority?
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:43 pm

I haven't handcuffed in years and think it is a wasted pick. However, I will be doing it more this year. I personally feel like we are going to have a lot of RB injuries this year dur to abbrevuiated training camp and would like to make sure I have the direct back up for my 1st two guys. To your question though, handcuffing Torrain is a wasted pick. If Helu is at value grab him, but don't reach.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Save a step and draft Helu instead of Torain.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 am

The best available running back is my handcuff :-D
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ben jammin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I did handcuff Adrian Peterson last year, but never used him. I am agreement with a few others as to not waste a pick on Ryan Torains handcuff. Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson and even Arian Foster are about the only ones I see worthy of a handcuff.
ben jammin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Calyxes » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:06 am

I used to do a lot more handcuffing back when RB's were running the ball more. Now with the two RB system in place the value is not their for me as much. If I had a RB who got most of the carries on his team, then I would be more apt to handcuff
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Venom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 am

I usually don't handcuff. In most 12 team leagues there are plenty of sleeper RB candidates out there for me rather than waste a roster spot on a guy I will probably never use.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions