Anquan Boldin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Anquan Boldin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anquan Boldin

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 pm

He is falling pretty late in mock drafts and I'm wondering whether or not I am too high on him. He's gonna be 31 this year which isn't too old for a WR, especially since he's never been known as a burner. He's the clear number 1 in BAL and Joe Flacco is entering his fourth season. I know the Ravens don't air it out a ton, and I know he had a disappointing season last year but I feel like Boldin still has a ton of talent. Could I get away with drafting him as my WR1 in the sixth round? (which is where I'v been nabbing him)
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anquan Boldin

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't see any scenario that having Boldin as a WR1 is a positive one
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

murphysxm wrote:I don't see any scenario that having Boldin as a WR1 is a positive one

Well, here's one lol

I'm in the middle of a draft right now (MFL FB Friends League) and I took Rice, Gore, Rivers, Blount, and Clark all before Boldin. I think those aren't a bad group of guys. I do however need another WR and I can see what you're saying.
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Nice RB corps, but you will be fighting to catch up at WR for sure. What other WRs are available? What kind of scoring settings, league size, etc. are you dealing with? I am not even high on Boldin as a WR2 to be honest, but in the 6th there might be some guys left worth taking ahead of him, so hook us up with a list and we'll go from there ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:37 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Nice RB corps, but you will be fighting to catch up at WR for sure. What other WRs are available? What kind of scoring settings, league size, etc. are you dealing with? I am not even high on Boldin as a WR2 to be honest, but in the 6th there might be some guys left worth taking ahead of him, so hook us up with a list and we'll go from there ;-D

agreed.. It's hard to say he is the choice without knowing who else is available.

I am not sold on Boldin even being the clear cut #1 on that team. Look at last year's numbers between him and Mason. They are almost exact.

Mason - 61 / 802 / 7
Boldin - 64 / 837 / 7

To me, it's more of a 1a and 1b situation. Yes, Mason is getting old but at least last year, Flacco looked to Mason as his security blanket.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby J Per » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

12 man, basic scoring, no PPR, redraft league. I had pick 8.

I'm going to have my 7th round selection in 5 picks. Some WR's left remaining are:
Knox
Mike Williams (SEA)
Santana Moss
Pierre Garcon
Julio Jones
Steve Smith (NYG)
Mike Thomas
Jordy Nelson
Danny Amendola
Jacoby Ford
Davonne Bess

Yeah...I can see that there aren't many easy picks to choose from. I do like some of these guys but not sure if they're WR2 calibur. Maybe Santana.

And Petedog, do you think its possible that Mason was Flaccos security blanket because it was Boldin's first year in BAL? I understand that they havent got to work together as much this offseason due to the lockout but I feel like Flacco still will have a much better rapport with Boldin this season. Plus age HAS to catch up with Mason sometime! He's a fellow Sparty and I like the Ravens so I'm pullin for him, but man how long can he do this. He was supposed to retire two seasons ago, wasn't he?

BAL does have rookie WR Torrey Smith who is an absolute burner, something the Ravens haven't had in forever (Stallworth...ehhh not so much). I will be looking to get him in my dynasty draft because Joey Flacco can throw the long ball.
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby danielgreen091 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I think that Boldin will be back to his old form or close to it. I still wouldn't want him as my number 1, but I'll be targeting in the middle rounds in drafts this year. I got him for $5 in a draftmaster's auction draft a few weeks ago and I am ecstatic.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby petedog9 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 am

Of those remaining pick, I would go Boldin as well and hope for thebest. Mason does have to slow down sometime and there is no doubting Boldin'spohysical presence. I am just not sold on Flacco as a top notch QB who can get it done.. Good luck ..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:10 am

Steve Smith (NYG) is likely to start out the year on IR, so don't take him as your WR1. Just draft several receivers with upside and see who pans out. Is Manningham already gone?
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Grab Boldin and then draft WR the next 2 rounds and then draft Mason after you get your K and D. He should still be around. Every year people write him off as being done and he continues to put up numbers.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions