Top 20 IDP's - WHIR!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Top 20 IDP's - WHIR!!!

Top 20 IDP's - WHIR!!!

Postby JaysFan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 am

I'm in a 12 team league where we draft 20 IDP's and there's 2 points for tackle, 1 for assisted tackle, 10 for forced fumble, 10 for sack and 10 for int as well as 4 for passes defended. In this format who are the top 20 IDP's???
JaysFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Top 20 IDP's - WHIR!!!

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:29 am

JaysFan wrote:I'm in a 12 team league where we draft 20 IDP's and there's 2 points for tackle, 1 for assisted tackle, 10 for forced fumble, 10 for sack and 10 for int as well as 4 for passes defended. In this format who are the top 20 IDP's???

In a few days I will be psoting up my IDP rankings but your scoring is a bit unique. I have not seen scoring so weighted towards "special" plays. What you can try is over at FF Today you can register and enter your leagues scoring system to adjust past year stats as well as current rankings. That is the only site I know that could accomodate your scoring but honestly, a good set of IDP rankings will help as well.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ironman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Those points are bit a ridiculous. Seems like whoever set it up doesn't like linebackers that much. I don't have a general list to give but with that scoring format I'd hit the DL first. Sacks are easier to project than interceptions so the risk is lower. Also since INTs are worth so much I'd focus more on CB than S for DBs. As far as LB take a look at ones that have double-digit sack potential (DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Tamba Hali).
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 am

bungle613 wrote:
JaysFan wrote:I'm in a 12 team league where we draft 20 IDP's and there's 2 points for tackle, 1 for assisted tackle, 10 for forced fumble, 10 for sack and 10 for int as well as 4 for passes defended. In this format who are the top 20 IDP's???

In a few days I will be psoting up my IDP rankings but your scoring is a bit unique. I have not seen scoring so weighted towards "special" plays. What you can try is over at FF Today you can register and enter your leagues scoring system to adjust past year stats as well as current rankings. That is the only site I know that could accomodate your scoring but honestly, a good set of IDP rankings will help as well.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011 ... _idp-2.php
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:59 am

In that format you want people who get sacks and tackles. A Harrison form Pittsburgh or Matthews from GB fills the bill.

If you aren't restricted to position - go with a LB who get sacks and solid tackle numbers. The fumbles and such are unpredictable but usually come with pressure of the sack guys. Nobody is getting 10+ INT's regularly and high tackles. Several LB will hit 10+ sacks that with a bunch of tackles.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleokatrah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

I just started a league that gives 6 points per special type play to IDP. I checked the befores and afters of last years top scorers and it did not drastically change the list. In fact, it added roughly an additional 20 points to each of the top pointmakers in both sacks and tackles. I thought that was a bit odd so I did a little bit more research:

Last year, the top number of sacks performed by a DB/LB/DL was 15.5
Forced Fumbles: 10
Interceptions: 6
The top tackler had 114 tackles to the top sacker's 56
Lead tackler's overall points: 272
Lead sacker: 208.5, still nearly a hundred points behind.

My opinion is that you'll of course want well rounded IDP players who you think will get equal opportunities at accumulating both tackles and special plays, but also that adhering to habitual/normal IDP drafting won't injure you too much. I personally would go after at least one of the top sackers - simply because these guys have a habit of getting 3 sacks in a game between dry spells and I wouldn't want to be the guy the have a good game against ;)
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 204BC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Cleokatrah wrote:My opinion is that you'll of course want well rounded IDP players who you think will get equal opportunities at accumulating both tackles and special plays, but also that adhering to habitual/normal IDP drafting won't injure you too much. I personally would go after at least one of the top sackers - simply because these guys have a habit of getting 3 sacks in a game between dry spells and I wouldn't want to be the guy the have a good game against ;)

Agreed. Plus if they have that 3 sack game early you can pair them up with a WR3 in a trade offer and maybe get a WR2 or RB2 in return.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cleokatrah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 am

I went a little bit further because the IDP dynamic just plain interests me. I built a tester league over at Fleaflicker and plugged in your formula then took a bunch of screenshots. Then I changed the scoring to something more standard: tackles/1, assists/.5, sacks/INTs/FF/3, PD/2, and took pictures of that. Here are a couple quick snapshots:

As you can see, there is some adjustment but I don't believe it is as severe as most people assume. Your special play makers do indeed move up, but points are also added to those all around IDP (okay, mainly LBs) who play well. On top of that, you can see the point differences tier a bit sharper in the higher point league. Whereas there is only a ~30 point difference in the standard league, from top to bottom, there is a ~70 point difference in the other. There is not much you can do to curb that in your draft, as special plays are quite random, but you can draft players who you believe are in good position to make plays.

20 IDP is a very deep IDP league, so you'll be drafting some of your guys on blind faith. One thing that I tried which worked out was to draft decent DBs (third year-ish) opposite of shutdown/elite DBs because they will be thrown toward a lot so they will have plenty of opportunity to net plays. another thing you could do is draft more than one player from teams which blitz alot, or players with schedules against several weak o-lines.

The rest of the images I took can be found HERE. Sorry, I only grabbed the first screen of each category but there are lists of the top tacklers/sacks/DBs/LBs/DLs from each point setup. I didn't bother with INTs and other plays because they don't occur often enough imo to warrant the snapshot. Also, Fleaflicker gives points for, but doesn't include in the stat graph (obviously), passes defended :/
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to IDP