Why draft a K or Def? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Why draft a K or Def?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why draft a K or Def?

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Especially if you are drafting this early!?!
Defense first - I drafted MIN early last season and then got BAL a little later, I thought I was gonna score BIG there. I was still getting beat by ARI D, DET D, heck BYE D beat MIN a few times!

K - Pick one up the day before your first game, be sure to check the total K after each game and by week 3-5 you can see trends forming, which teams are settling for FG's. I did this 2-3 years ago and noticed Neil Rackers was getting an incredible amount of tries and still nobody had grabbed him (and our league had 9 of 12 owners living in ARI). I guarantee by week 5 the top 5 K's, by FFL points, will not all be owned. This is less true for defenses but still moreso than any other position in the game.

There are not any rules that say you must draft all positions. This way an injury in a pre-season gamemight not hurt you as badly.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why draft a K or Def?

Postby ShaqAttaq13 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Yea. Pro tip: Don't draft either.

You can find a good defense matchup on a weekly basis. For example, last season I religiously picked up whatever defense was facing Cutler. Good for about 2-3 turnovers and 3-4 sacks most weeks even if it wasn't one of the leagues best units.
ShaqAttaq13
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I still draft them every year. Its still a position nonetheless and even though the longshot might play better than your draft pick its still better to draft certainty.

I got Minny last year to and was dissapointed. I ended up on the WW. But taking Minny gave me a better chance to have a decent D than waiting for the scraps. Same with Kicker I had Crosby who was one of the better kickers and he seemed to get me more points than most and was somewhat reliable.

My leagues also dont give you the option to grab one before the season so you would be without one.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Calyxes » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I 100% agree if you are drafting this early. I once drafted a DEF with a higher pick and I still dont feel that it was worth it. I have been going with the weekly match-up in most of my leagues now.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Pitfan2782 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 am

I've always went against the grain and picked a defense kind of high. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Picked the Steelers in the 6th last season, and it paid off for me. Drafted them in the 7th 2 seasons ago, and blew up in my face. I've always had the mind set that if you can get one of the top 3 defenses, then you don't need to do the match up game all season.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Pitfan2782
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:26 am

Some leagues make is mandatory to fill out a roster. Also, if you are in a large league, 14+ you may consider taking one just to protect yourself as I have seen leagues, usually 20 teamers, that by the mid last round, all of one category is completely taken.

If you are playing in a regular league then by all means, skip both positions. Playing match ups each week for both DST and kicker usually will result in a better score.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions