Random 2011 player thoughts - change my mind - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Random 2011 player thoughts - change my mind

Moderator: Football Moderators

Random 2011 player thoughts - change my mind

Postby ssarmstro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Hello everyone, I have been a member of this forum for a while but I have not posted much. As this will be a weird FF season I wanted to share some thoughts on some guys and get some opinions.

My first opinion is that rookie players will not be worth selecting in regular line drafts. I have a keeper league, even then I am skeptical of rookies. I like to see them perform before stashing them on my team.  I feel like they don’t have enough information to begin the year with a chance to truly complete. I think the better plan is to grab promising young vets and pick up rookies as you go during the FF year. Guys like (Hear is where I really want some feedback and thoughts):

1.       Mike Williams (Sea):  Mike had a lil less then 800 rec  and 2 TDs but I see him as a Dewayne Bowe remake. For me this is really a rookie yr for him and he should improve. He is probably the 2nd most talented WR on the team. They just drafted a guy named Kris Durham with size but I don’t know much of him.

2.       Golden Tate: 2010 Offseason workouts last yr was all about the plays he made in camp! But he was not well versed in the playbook or with route running. My though is that the athletic/playmaking ability is there but he just needs the refinement. Most talented WR on team.

3.        Donnie Avery:  Outside of his injuries, this guy can fly and separate! I with josh McDanieals he could be another Brandon Lloyd. All he needs to do is stay healthy. I like Clayton as well but Avery is the better guess for me, if he really is running in the 4.3 or 4.2 range. He is the only guy in the team that can take the top off the DST for Steven Jackson. He will be on the field!!!

4.       Mario Manningham: He shows ability every yr and I don’t think steve smith will be back in the same way he was previously with the injury!

5.       Mike Thomas: On the DL he had better stats then Mike Sims-Walker and he will now be the number 1 or 1b to Mercedes Lewis. (One rookie I do like is Ceil Shorts) The book end for this guy is Jason Hill and he will only be a deep threat. To me he is a up and coming LOW BUDGET Steve Smith.

6.       Mohamed Massaquoi: IDK what it is about this guy but he is attending the Fitzgerald camp and Fitz has turned under achievers like Sidney Rice into stars! I am not saying that Massaquoi is an awesome talent but in Shumers offense I don’t think you have to be. (Todd Pinkson, James Thrash, Brandon Gibson, Danny Amendola…) He has ability though and Greg White will not be ready!! Could be another Stevey Johnson!!!

7.       Early Doucet: Same as Avery tons of ability but injuries. There is opportunity and all he needs is to stay healthy.. (Also like Andre Roberts)

8.       Jacoby Ford: This guy is a playmaker. The Raiders just need to get their thumbs out their butts and play him. Ford was raw last yr, even with the plays he made. I think it was just pure athletic ability and strength. The hope is that he is becoming a better route runner and can better read coverage’s. If this happens man.. he could blow!

9.       David Nelson: This guy was the number 3 WR with vet guys like Parrish and Reed on the team. I think he is improving and could jump evans in a yr or two based on salary..

Justin forsett/lynch: Lynch is the starter here and td guy, so he has the most value. I think allot of ppl are over looking him. Last yr he had a short offseason with the mess in buffalo and he didn't know the scheme. This year hopefully with will have worked hard and will have improved run blocking with the 2 off linemen drafted. Forsett is the guy who gets lost here with plenty carries to go arround he can do well. He has agreat ability to run carrol loves to split work with his backs...I look for. Him to surprise! I see kansas city part 2 (low budget of course) schcut this will be a run oriented tm and I think forsett will have value

Mike Tolbert: This guy will vulture TDs and my opinion is that the RBs getting the TDs will soon be the way we look at RBs value with time splits and teams using them as interchangeable pieces.. Unless you got a guy like Jamal Charles/Chris Johnson/McCoy who rack up a ton of yards

Michael Bush: All I am going to say is that McFadden will get hurt mark my words!!

Jerome Harrison: this guy can run the ball, I don’t care what anybody says and he will be cheap..I think teams like Mami would be interested – this is all about where he goes.. (Also like Kevin Smith)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: The Amish Rifle is a guy I really like. Buffalo is accumulating some weapons and that spread pistol they run at times is a QB’s dream for racking up yards. Also their DST sucks and will suck this yr. Ryan will be slinging the ball again.

SHOTS IN THE DARK:

Patrick Turner/Earl Bennet: Played with Sanchez at USC and could replace Braylon if they sign Holmes. Same with Cutler and Earl Bennet  they have some history and trust.

Hello everyone, I have been a member of this forum for a while but I have not posted much. As this will be a weird FF season I wanted to share some thoughts on some guys and get some opinions.

My first opinion is that rookie players will not be worth selecting in regular line drafts. I have a keeper league, even then I am skeptical of rookies. I like to see them perform before stashing them on my team.  I feel like they don’t have enough information to begin the year with a chance to truly complete. I think the better plan is to grab promising young vets and pick up rookies as you go during the FF year. Guys like (Hear is where I really want some feedback and thoughts):

1.       Mike Williams (Sea):  Mike had a lil less then 800 rec  and 2 TDs but I see him as a Dewayne Bowe remake. For me this is really a rookie yr for him and he should improve. He is probably the 2nd most talented WR on the team. They just drafted a guy named Kris Durham with size but I don’t know much of him.

2.       Golden Tate: 2010 Offseason workouts last yr was all about the plays he made in camp! But he was not well versed in the playbook or with route running. My though is that the athletic/playmaking ability is there but he just needs the refinement. Most talented WR on team.

3.        Donnie Avery:  Outside of his injuries, this guy can fly and separate! I with josh McDanieals he could be another Brandon Lloyd. All he needs to do is stay healthy. I like Clayton as well but Avery is the better guess for me, if he really is running in the 4.3 or 4.2 range. He is the only guy in the team that can take the top off the DST for Steven Jackson. He will be on the field!!!

4.       Mario Manningham: He shows ability every yr and I don’t think steve smith will be back in the same way he was previously with the injury!

5.       Mike Thomas: On the DL he had better stats then Mike Sims-Walker and he will now be the number 1 or 1b to Mercedes Lewis. (One rookie I do like is Ceil Shorts) The book end for this guy is Jason Hill and he will only be a deep threat. To me he is a up and coming LOW BUDGET Steve Smith.

6.       Mohamed Massaquoi: IDK what it is about this guy but he is attending the Fitzgerald camp and Fitz has turned under achievers like Sidney Rice into stars! I am not saying that Massaquoi is an awesome talent but in Shumers offense I don’t think you have to be. (Todd Pinkson, James Thrash, Brandon Gibson, Danny Amendola…) He has ability though and Greg White will not be ready!! Could be another Stevey Johnson!!!

7.       Early Doucet: Same as Avery tons of ability but injuries. There is opportunity and all he needs is to stay healthy.. (Also like Andre Roberts)

8.       Jacoby Ford: This guy is a playmaker. The Raiders just need to get their thumbs out their butts and play him. Ford was raw last yr, even with the plays he made. I think it was just pure athletic ability and strength. The hope is that he is becoming a better route runner and can better read coverage’s. If this happens man.. he could blow!

9.       David Nelson: This guy was the number 3 WR with vet guys like Parrish and Reed on the team. I think he is improving and could jump evans in a yr or two based on salary..

Mike Tolbert: This guy will vulture TDs and my opinion is that the RBs getting the TDs will soon be the way we look at RBs value with time splits and teams using them as interchangeable pieces.. Unless you got a guy like Jamal Charles/Chris Johnson/McCoy who rack up a ton of yards

Michael Bush: All I am going to say is that McFadden will get hurt mark my words!!

Jerome Harrison: this guy can run the ball, I don’t care what anybody says and he will be cheap..I think teams like Mami would be interested – this is all about where he goes.. (Also like Kevin Smith)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: The Amish Rifle is a guy I really like. Buffalo is accumulating some weapons and that spread pistol they run at times is a QB’s dream for racking up yards. Also their DST sucks and will suck this yr. Ryan will be slinging the ball again.

SHOTS IN THE DARK:

Patrick Turner/Earl Bennet: Played with Sanchez at USC and could replace Braylon if they sign Holmes. Same with Cutler and Earl Bennet  they have some history and trust.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Random 2011 player thoughts - change my mind

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

1. Would really like him if he had a decent QB. I kinda doubt Hasselbeck will be back with the Seahawks for some reason.
3. Avery is a pick from the last regime, so Spags really has no loyalty to him - he's injury prone and even though I heard good things about him after he was drafted I don't know if he's gonna be the guy this year. Alexander is plenty fast and talented, but fell in the draft because of his knee injuries. If his knees are ok he fits as well in the Brandon Lloyd role as anybody. If the Rams go out and sign a FA receiver like Sidney Rice, it wouldn't shock me to see Avery on the roster bubble. Clayton, Amendola, Alexander, Pettis and Salas seem pretty well locked in to me. Plus Avery averaged 12.7 and 12.5 ypc his first two seasons, which while not bad isn't really deep threat numbers. All that being said he is in a contract year, and we all know how that tends to motivate people.
4. I like Manningham quite a lot as well, Steve Smith is apparently having issues with his knees.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ssarmstro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I agree seattles qb wiil prob be either tavaris jackson or whitehurst but that is the reason they will run the ball.. you will see lynch get 25 -0 carriers wkend and wk out and Forsett prob 10 to12 touches a game. That's all u can ask and I see him as a buy low guy... Nobody like tavaris or whitehurst but I think allot of ppl will overstate the issue.

Rams I don't think will go after another wr. And to my knowledge alexander is still having trouble with his knees.. I think it is more his size then his spd that helps him and he will need to be a better route runner then what he is in mcdaniels system. Avery has been good when he plays and he is at the low end of his rookie deal. My money is on clayton and avery being the big time helps and the rookies next . The 4 and 5 wr has to play special teams and I don't think pettis or salas can do that. Somebody will be on the practice squad or be cut.. It really does come down to avery or alexander and avery can do more..they both hav injury issues and avery has just had bad luck! Alexander has real problems with his legs. I think alexander is the will have less value then avery... as he can play all the positions 1 thru 3
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm

ssarmstro wrote:I agree seattles qb wiil prob be either tavaris jackson or whitehurst but that is the reason they will run the ball.. you will see lynch get 25 -0 carriers wkend and wk out and Forsett prob 10 to12 touches a game. That's all u can ask and I see him as a buy low guy... Nobody like tavaris or whitehurst but I think allot of ppl will overstate the issue.

Rams I don't think will go after another wr. And to my knowledge alexander is still having trouble with his knees.. I think it is more his size then his spd that helps him and he will need to be a better route runner then what he is in mcdaniels system. Avery has been good when he plays and he is at the low end of his rookie deal. My money is on clayton and avery being the big time helps and the rookies next . The 4 and 5 wr has to play special teams and I don't think pettis or salas can do that. Somebody will be on the practice squad or be cut.. It really does come down to avery or alexander and avery can do more..they both hav injury issues and avery has just had bad luck! Alexander has real problems with his legs. I think alexander is the will have less value then avery... as he can play all the positions 1 thru 3

For the first bullet I was referring to Mike Williams, not Lynch, but I can see what you're saying. I just don't know if Avery has ever been that polished of a route runner either or atleast I don't remember ever thinking that, and I got to see him when he played he was just.. eh. He's only had a single 100 yard game, and a single multi touchdown game and ya there were other factors involved but he just hasn't really shown us much.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Football Talk