Training camp 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Training camp 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Training camp 2011

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Camp notes via Mlive’s Tom “Killer” Kowalski. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _lion.html

During a one-and-one drill between running backs and tight ends vs. linebackers, both Jahvid Best and rookie Mikel Leshoure looked very good in catching the ball out of the backfield. It's common for young backs to break down their stride in adjusting to catch the ball, but neither of Detroit's young running backs seems to have that issue.

Love the idea of our RBs both being threats out of the backfield. A back in the open field in stride is a very dangerous person.

Among Stafford's best qualities are his aggressiveness and greed - he's always looking for the kill shot downfield. On most naked bootlegs, quarterbacks are happy to hit the open tight end quickly and let him get some yardage. Stafford likes to hold the ball for a beat or two longer, waiting for something to spring open downfield. That puts a lot more pressure on the quarterback, but it puts a lot more pressure on the defense, too.

Hope this means he will be looking to throw deep much, much, more this season. It was disturbing last season watching him start out the season dinking and dunking. This ain’t no Blue Skies for crying out loud.

After a running play in team drills, Leshoure had broken free and was downfield about 25 yards when he started to slow up. Defensive end Ndamukong Suh came charging up behind him and knocked the ball loose. Suh didn't just swat at the ball, it was a hard-chopping tomahawk. Message sent.

How do you not love Ndamukong Suh?
Man, I know its just a bunch for fluff, but its football fluff and like the junkie that I am, I feel like I am being awoken from a coma by the smell of fresh baked cornbread! :-b :-b
mmm mmm, get some. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 am

Love me some Suh - if he does anything close to what he did last year he will be a God here for as long as he wants.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Lions D taking shape. Lions today signed CB Chris Houston and LB Steven Tullock. This according to the world renown Morning Sun

The 26-year-old Houston reportedly agreed to a two-year deal. He will enter his second season in Detroit after playing his first three seasons in Atlanta. He played in 15 games last season, finishing with 56 tackles (50 solo), one interception, one forced fumble and a dozen passes defended.

Tulloch agreed to a one-year contract worth $3.25 million, including $1.8 million in guaranteed money according to several reports.
He will likely play in the middle shifting DeAndre Levy to the outside. Earlier in the week the Lions also signed free agent linebacker Justin Durant...
Tulloch did not miss a game in five seasons with the Titans. He started all 16 games last season where he had 160 tackles (111 solo), one sack, one interception and eight passes defended

link: http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2 ... 489475.txt

I like both signings, they didn't break the bank while adding much needed LB and warm body at CB. Tulleck is supposed to be able to play tough nosed inside LB and I like that he only signed for one year. Lots of incentive. Resigning Houston a must, you have to have someone out there who won't embarrass himself. His is a good cover guy, made better by our Suh-per men on the D line.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 am

I too like both signings. Overall I am happy with the off-season moves - but I would like a bit more help on the o-line. I hope Backus is able to be 100% for teh start of the season. I am not too worried about the DBs(obviously we need some bodies), with our front 7, they should be able to make them look average to good.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am

Lions fans began camping out for the open practice at 4:30am 8-o 8-o 8-o

;-D ;-D ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 am

There will also be open to the public practices on Tuesday and Wednesday at 9:15am this week.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:31 pm

dream_017 wrote:There will also be open to the public practices on Tuesday and Wednesday at 9:15am this week.

How long are the open practices? Planned to go today, but life took over.
Sweet to see the fans getting so lathered up. I even find myself oddly excited over the prospects of us fielding a competitive team this year. Sadly, we are in one of the tougher divisions in the league.
D%# Millen for stealing a decade away from us when the title was there for the taking.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 pm

As far as I know they last for an hour and a half to two hours
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm

I've heard that camp will be open on Thursday starting at 4:00pm

Here is some other news about the Lions:

Joey Harrington hit by car while riding bicycle
Former University of Oregon and NFL quarterback Joey Harrington was hit by a vehicle and seriously injured while riding a bicycle in Portland.

KATU-TV in Portland reports (http://bit.ly/pnq8bB) that family members said Harrington spent the night in intensive care at a Portland hospital after suffering a broken collarbone and punctured lung, among other injuries.

Fairley hurts ankle
There is a high level of concern surrounding the injured left foot of rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley.

Fairley injured the foot Monday and was in a boot on Tuesday. The Lions' medical team might be exploring the possibility of a stress fracture.

Second highest in the league for new Season ticket sales
Detroit Lions fans are buying into the optimism for the upcoming season. They’re making their presence felt where it counts — at the box office.

The Lions have sold 11,200 new full-package season tickets since the end of last season. The sales are for all 10 home games: two exhibitions and eight in the regular season.

“We’re No. 2 in the league,” said Bob Raymond, the Lions’ vice president of business operations.

They opened single game tickets for season ticket holders yesterday. I gave the information to a friend of mine, they had a hard time getting in, so I went to see if I could do it(they want tickets to the MNF game), well when I went in at around 5:00pm yesterday (they opened at 10:00am) there was 1 regular ticket remaining(3rd level), 3 tickets in what looked like next to the club level ($170/ticket) and a few sections in the Club level ($190/ticket).

Jason Fox taking the LT snaps with the first team
Left tackles not named Jeff Backus haven't seen much of the field for the Lions the last 10 seasons.

That's because Backus has started 160 consecutive games since entering the NFL in 2001, all at left tackle.

So, seeing a number other than 76 starting there during camp takes some getting used to.

"You don't want to see people get hurt, but it's allowed me to get some first-team reps and it's a good opportunity for me," said Jason Fox, filling in for Backus, who suffered a left pectoral injury during the offseason. "I just have to take advantage of it and get better every day."

Coach Jim Schwartz said at the beginning of camp the team had no immediate plans to acquire veteran help to guard against Backus' injury.

So, that means Fox, in his second season, is being relied on.

Maurice Stovall signed
The Detroit Lions added receiver Maurice Stovall to the roster Monday evening.

Stovall, 26, played for six years in Tampa Bay after the Buccaneers drafted him out of Notre Dame in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL draft. His best season came in 2009 when he caught 24 passes for 366 yards and a touchdown. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder will wear No. 80.

The Lions also cut wide receiver Jared Jenkins.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm

thanks Dream. Dang, hope BlueSkies is going to be okay. Why is it Lions QBs never seem to be able to take a hit? :-D

I like the Stovall signing. Thought he had potential, should be able to do better that the dude we got for Roy Willams, name escapes me - he played, and under-performed, for Penn State. Fraud Williams I think.
Hate to see injury for the rook. Sure hope this isn't a trend with Fairley.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions