Training camp 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Training camp 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Training camp 2011

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

This from the news you hoped you would not hear files. Fairley foot surgery. :,-(
Here's the entire Lions' statement: "The examination of Nick Fairley's foot today by Dr. Bob Anderson resulted in a diagnosis consistent with that of Lions' team physicians that surgical correction was required. Accordingly, surgery was successfully performed this afternoon in Charlotte, N.C., by Dr. Anderson. Nick is expected to miss a significant portion of training camp."

This according to Tom 'Killer' Kowalski on MLive.com. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... irley.html

Guessing its not very serious, but not a good start for Fairley. I just hope Fairley Fantastic doesn't turn out to be Fairley Fragile. 8-o

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Calyxes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

You crack me up Mooch ;-D I was reading the post about Joey getting hit by the car and I was thinking the same thing about Lions QB's not being able to take a hit :-b
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Calyxes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Anyone got anymore clue what Fairley did to his foot? I am really wondering if he came to camp hurt? I am thinking teams knew something about him and that is why he dropped so far in the draft. The way Schwartz is, I don't expect him to say anything else besides "he came to camp in great shape" because I take him as the kind of guy who will lie to you about injuries. I don't mind that from him though.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Calyxes wrote:Anyone got anymore clue what Fairley did to his foot? I am really wondering if he came to camp hurt? I am thinking teams knew something about him and that is why he dropped so far in the draft. The way Schwartz is, I don't expect him to say anything else besides "he came to camp in great shape" because I take him as the kind of guy who will lie to you about injuries. I don't mind that from him though.

It's funny, but the Lions saying as little as they possibly can makes me wonder if there isn't a more serious problem than the stress fracture being whispered about. The thing is, you can't get in better shape (I think) to reduce risk for stress fractures. Wondering what may be leaving a young man, reportedly in great shape, at risk for stress fractures?
Hey, I am a long time Lions fans, and with that comes loads of baggage. Part of that baggage is paranoia over the Lions FO (Front Office) honesty and competance, and injuries robbing team on any chance to be competitive.
He's prolly going to be fine.
He's prolly going to be fine.
There's no place like home.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 am

Training camp schedule update:

Today practice is open to Season ticket holders(sadly, still not able to make it). Tomorrow practice is open to the public at 9:00 and it is kids day - kids under 14 can get autographs after practice and teh first 300 get a mini football.

Very nice to see the action that has been taken with the fans (season tickets and general) overall since Millen left. ;-D ;-D ;-D

Cliff Avril signed his 1-year tender

Defense looks impressive
One of the most impressive aspects to practice today was how the defensive players were so quick with their recognition and reaction. Throughout the team drills, defenders were responding quickly and on their marks as soon as the ball or ballcarrier arrived.

Safety Amari Spievey continues to look good and is playing with a lot of confidence. Linebacker DeAndre Levy looks like a seasoned veteran the way he's moving around several of the young guys in the back seven are also responding well.

Offense struggles
In a team drill that featured all third-down situations - mostly third-and-three, the Lions' offense struggled with consistency. Much of that was because of the defense, but the offense also made some mistakes.

Fairly will stay busy
A day after the Lions announced first-round draft pick Nick Fairley had surgery on his left foot, which he injured at Monday's practice, Schwartz was in a glass-half-full type of mood while assessing the situation.

"I look at this way," he explained. "(Fairley) missed all of the OTAs and all of the offseason work and things like that - now he has a chance to make all that stuff back up. He can get all the classroom work; he can get a good base; he can lift. He can do all those things.

Interesting take on Derrick Williams
It would appear that if Williams, a third-round pick three years ago, will have to make a convincing case. It's likely that Detroit's top five receivers are set - Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson, Titus Young, Rashied Davis and Stefan Logan. Davis and Young are superior special teams players so there's almost no chance Williams can unseat one of them (particularly Logan).

At running back, there are some questions about that No. 5 running back spot. Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure are on the team and Detroit should keep its only true fullback in Jerome Felton. That leaves two spots and one of those (if not both) could be filled by Maurice Morris or Aaron Brown. It's more likely Schwartz will choose between those two and we're down to one final position.

Here's where it gets a little tricky for Williams. While he's had a very strong camp in catching the ball and proving himself as a receiver, he needs more value so he has to step it up in all special teams. Even that, though, might not be enough. The reason is because that No. 5 running back will likely be able to do three things instead of just two. Guys like Joe Jon Finley or Richard Dickson or Preston Dial can play fullback, tight end and also contribute on special teams. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan likes having that extra punch in the backfield where he can move that tight end/fullback around for better matchups.

Jay Glazer was at camp yesterday - here is a tweet from him when asked how the Lions look:
Solid. Great weapons for Stafford. Less affected by lockout than many IMO

Breaking news as I type this, so no real link(s) yet. Mayhew speaking to media - here are some tweets from Jennifer Hammond:
-When asked if he was looking for depth at OT, Martin Mayhew said "We're looking for dpth across the board."
-"We're definitely building a team for the long term." Martin Mayhew
-"It does hurt him" Mayhew on injury situation to rookie DT Nick Fairley and the practice time he has/will miss.
-"It's time to stop talking about winning and time to start winning." Lions GM Martin Mayhew.
-"We're at a point where we can challenge for our division.". Mayhew.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:53 am

Welcome back to the NFL, Detroit.
Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew grants only a handful of interviews each season, and so I always feel compelled to pore over every word for information and tone from the man charged with rebuilding the organization. Likewise, I'm sure many of you many will read through the latest quotes as well after seeing the headline on this post.

Lions GM Martin Mayhew is excited about his roster, but says: We have to go out and win football games.Mayhew is the furthest thing from a trash talker and clearly not someone who tries to make headlines. In reality, Lions fans should have been disappointed if he said anything other than what he told reporters Friday morning at Lions camp

Mayhew Q&A
• On how he likes his roster after free agency:
• Comparing the team now to when he took over in 2009:
• On the challenges of free agency this year:
• On if there are any salary-cap issues:
• On what there still is left to do in free agency:
• On signing free agents Stephen Tulloch and Eric Wright to one-year contracts:
• On the linebacking unit:
• On free agency when he took over vs. now:
• On if Nick Fairley's development is hurt by his foot injury:
• On what he expects this year:
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Training camp 2011

Postby thebigsmooth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Leshoure tore his Achilles and is out for season.
Big hit to the Lions
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Calyxes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Hey we got Mike Bell now though :-t
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 pm

thebigsmooth wrote:Leshoure tore his Achilles and is out for season.
Big hit to the Lions

I find myself surprised at how upset I am by this. Can we not just once catch a flippin break?

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions