Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

So, the age old debate of QB values. We have tested theories on drafting a QB in the 1st. WE have argued positional scarcity etc...

My question to those that believe this... why do you think that because in a league that QB's score 6 points per touchdwon that they are more valuable?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

:-{ %-6 :-/

Can't wait to get into this again O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

dream_017 wrote::-{ %-6 :-/

Can't wait to get into this again O:-)

Because I am still baffled by it my friend. I am on DTKW alot and it is still mentioned every single day.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 am

I've played 6pts for passing TDs as long as I can remember. I think this season is the first time I'll be in leagues with 4pts per TD. In my mind, it's negligible, because I don't draft QB driven, since you usually only start one. I could see the argument, if you think that you'll gain anywhere from 2-10 points a game from 4 to 6 points depending on your QB, but really, I think it's negligible. Almost all leagues have RBs and WRs with the same stats, and you should still be focusing on those guys. They're still the consistent ones and the ones who will win you games.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am

IMO, the only time QB's become significantly more valuable, in anything close to "normal" scoring (be it 6pts/TD or 4 pts/TD) is if you can start more than 1 of them.

Yes, Quarterbacks are typically the highest scoring player on fantasy teams.

However, the drop off from the 1 QB and the number 8, 10, 12, 14 QB is tpyically much less severe than the drop off from the numer 1 RB/WR and the number 16/24, 20/30, 24/36, 28/42 RB/WR.

It it typically much easier to find serviceable QB's later in drafts than it is to find serviceable RB's and WR's.

Yes, there are exceptions (the 2 most valuable fantasy assets last season were exceptions to this rule - A. Foster & M. Vick) - Foster typically went drafted, Vick did not.

This is a debate that will rage on forever, and there are arguements that can be made for both sides.

However, in my opinion, I want the closest thing to a sure thing at RB/RB/WR, WR/WR/RB, or RB/RB/WR with my first 3 picks - more so than ever this year it seems...

The QB position is insanely deep - Vick, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers - you can have them, IMO the asking price is too high. That leaves credible, serviceable, high ceiling guys - Romo, Schaub, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Freeman, Stafford, Bradford, Cutler, Eli, etc available at a much cheaper price, add Kolb & Orton to that mix when they get traded.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 am

m16a wrote:I've played 6pts for passing TDs as long as I can remember. I think this season is the first time I'll be in leagues with 4pts per TD. In my mind, it's negligible, because I don't draft QB driven, since you usually only start one. I could see the argument, if you think that you'll gain anywhere from 2-10 points a game from 4 to 6 points depending on your QB, but really, I think it's negligible. Almost all leagues have RBs and WRs with the same stats, and you should still be focusing on those guys. They're still the consistent ones and the ones who will win you games.

The crux of my debate is that you can't compare apples to oranges. If your QB scores 3 td's taht are worth 6 points and your opponents QB scores 3 td's worth 6 points... you wash. Compare a QB to a QB and a RB to a RB.

Fulyy agree with a 2 QB league... postional scarcity comes into play makign them more valuable. Even in those rare leagues where you can start a QB as a flex they are more valuable.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:10 am

I don't think there is a debate if there is an impact or not, the debate is if it's negligible or not, right? It does have an impact. Take the extreme case. This is going to sound ridiculous, but it's just to prove a point - if passing TDs counted for 1000 points, then the only position that mattered would be QB; all other scoring would be irrelevant.

Changing the points allotted does affect the value of the position with respect to the value of other positions. Whether this is ignorable or not is a mathematical question that, to me, is not very interesting. It probably is negligible compared to the myriad of other things that determine a team's competitiveness.
Last edited by u_fig_eater on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 am

bungle613 wrote:So, the age old debate of QB values. We have tested theories on drafting a QB in the 1st. WE have argued positional scarcity etc...

My question to those that believe this... why do you think that because in a league that QB's score 6 points per touchdwon that they are more valuable?

Well technically because quarterbacks score more points, they are more valuable relative to the rest of the player base. However, every single quarterback becomes more valuable at the same rate relative to other quarterbacks, so drafting strategy doesn't need to change for these leagues.

I know that is just arguing semantics of "valuable", but :^
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm

bungle613 wrote:
m16a wrote:I've played 6pts for passing TDs as long as I can remember. I think this season is the first time I'll be in leagues with 4pts per TD. In my mind, it's negligible, because I don't draft QB driven, since you usually only start one. I could see the argument, if you think that you'll gain anywhere from 2-10 points a game from 4 to 6 points depending on your QB, but really, I think it's negligible. Almost all leagues have RBs and WRs with the same stats, and you should still be focusing on those guys. They're still the consistent ones and the ones who will win you games.

The crux of my debate is that you can't compare apples to oranges. If your QB scores 3 td's taht are worth 6 points and your opponents QB scores 3 td's worth 6 points... you wash. Compare a QB to a QB and a RB to a RB.

Fulyy agree with a 2 QB league... postional scarcity comes into play makign them more valuable. Even in those rare leagues where you can start a QB as a flex they are more valuable.

I see what you're getting at. Yes, a QB will gain slight value in 6pts/TD especially if he's one of the bigger hitters (Manning, Brees, Rodgers etc) compared to one in a 4pt/TD setup. But, in my mind this means you are going to have to focus on taking a QB a few rounds earlier than I'd like, and I think that's where the problem is. You can potentially lose out on other RB/WRs that could make an impact by "reaching" for a QB. Meh, I'm not even sure why I'm debating, since I wait on a QB regardless of the draft and rules. I'll sometimes grab em if the draft goes that way. I guess the value really does come from the amount who are played. I'm rambling.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

LMack wrote:
bungle613 wrote:So, the age old debate of QB values. We have tested theories on drafting a QB in the 1st. WE have argued positional scarcity etc...

Well technically because quarterbacks score more points, they are more valuable relative to the rest of the player base. However, every single quarterback becomes more valuable at the same rate relative to other quarterbacks, so drafting strategy doesn't need to change for these leagues.

I know that is just arguing semantics of "valuable", but :^

I agree wholeheatedly. I can see if one position is being scored at a level that is far above other positions such as one poster mentioned. If that single postion is so weighted that the rest of your roster does not matter then I undertand valuing that postion high and yes, I know it would never happen in a proper league. :-B

An increase of 2 points per touchdwon does not mean that you have to draft a QB in the first or 2nd round. It simply does not increase the value to the point where strategies need to change.

It also seems everyone posting so far agrees... maybe I should just post this in DTKW where we debate this argument every day. :-b
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk