Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Long title but basically... QB scoring = 6 PTS

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

The difference in PPG between QB3 and QB13 (first nonstarter) was 4.2 pts in a 6 pt TD league and 3 pts in a 4 pt TD league. I'm throwing out Vick and Rodgers because they are anomalies. The VORP is higher so they should be valued higher.

The difference between RB6 and RB25 (first nonstarter) in standard scoring was 4.8 last year. Picking RB6 is a arbitrary, but it filters out the elite and doubles the 3 from above to match the doubled number of starters.

If you take Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, or MJD and they the same year as last year it was a bad pick. You might as well take an elite QB who will be a much safer investment and provide a similar VORP.

I think if you want to blindly follow VBD you should take Vick at 1.1 in all formats.

I think stats would (can?) back up the gut feeling that if QB points count more, elite QBs should be valued more. This wouldn't provide the argument to take them in the 1st. The only real argument to take them in the 1st is if you know your competitors will and that they won't value the upside RBs available in middle rounds.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm

I am with m16a in that the debate is no concern of mine, as I wait on a QB unless I can get an elite option after the 2nd round.

So in a league that scores 6 point TDs I am happy to see others grab QBs early...because that leaves me the WRs and RBs that are the bread and butter.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 am

Venom wrote:So in a league that scores 6 point TDs I am happy to see others grab QBs early...because that leaves me the WRs and RBs that are the bread and butter.

Winner - that is one of the reason I love playing in 6 point passing TD leagues O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Stelly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:02 am

So what do you consider "waiting" to pick your QB? I have never been one to draft a QB very early...say the first 4 rounds or so, but if I can get a guy in the 5th or 6th that I like (usually the 7th or 8th rated QB), I'm more than happy to grab him there.

Like I said, I have never drafted a QB is the first 3 or 4 rounds. I tried QBBC a few times and have had not so great luck with it. Partially picking the wrong guys, partially playing the "wrong" guy from week to week. I have had much better luck grabbing a midlevel QB1 in the 5th or 6th round.

For example, I am targeting Romo in a lot of drafts this year - I think he has Top 5 QB upside, and his ADP provides great value in my opinion.

I play in a 6 pt league for passing TDs and QBs fly off the board. So to even land a decent starting QB, you need to draft them much earlier than their ADP. Just the nature of the owners in my league.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 am

Stelly wrote:So what do you consider "waiting" to pick your QB? I have never been one to draft a QB very early...say the first 4 rounds or so, but if I can get a guy in the 5th or 6th that I like (usually the 7th or 8th rated QB), I'm more than happy to grab him there.

Like I said, I have never drafted a QB is the first 3 or 4 rounds. I tried QBBC a few times and have had not so great luck with it. Partially picking the wrong guys, partially playing the "wrong" guy from week to week. I have had much better luck grabbing a midlevel QB1 in the 5th or 6th round.

For example, I am targeting Romo in a lot of drafts this year - I think he has Top 5 QB upside, and his ADP provides great value in my opinion.

I play in a 6 pt league for passing TDs and QBs fly off the board. So to even land a decent starting QB, you need to draft them much earlier than their ADP. Just the nature of the owners in my league.

I've been mocking a lot, and I've noticed myself waiting on guys like Bradford, Cassel, Fitzpatrick and co. to get two of late. Usually in 10+. I've also found myself grabbing Schaub in the 6th or so, and Roeth in that same area. So I'm not always waiting, but that's the mindset I go into the draft with. It's just a matter of how each draft plays out. I grabbed one early in a recent mock because we had like a 6 QB run in the 5th round. Stelly is definitely right that it's all about reading how the draft is going. But I still gotta agree with Venom. Even if QBs are going quicker than I predict, I still wait a bit to grab RBs/WRs and wait on the deeper QB class we've got this season.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Stelly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 am

m16a wrote:
Stelly wrote:So what do you consider "waiting" to pick your QB? I have never been one to draft a QB very early...say the first 4 rounds or so, but if I can get a guy in the 5th or 6th that I like (usually the 7th or 8th rated QB), I'm more than happy to grab him there.

I've been mocking a lot, and I've noticed myself waiting on guys like Bradford, Cassel, Fitzpatrick and co. to get two of late. Usually in 10+. I've also found myself grabbing Schaub in the 6th or so, and Roeth in that same area. So I'm not always waiting, but that's the mindset I go into the draft with. It's just a matter of how each draft plays out. I grabbed one early in a recent mock because we had like a 6 QB run in the 5th round. Stelly is definitely right that it's all about reading how the draft is going. But I still gotta agree with Venom. Even if QBs are going quicker than I predict, I still wait a bit to grab RBs/WRs and wait on the deeper QB class we've got this season.

I think it's a combination of seeing how each draft plays out, as well as personal preference. While I think waiting and grabbing 2 guys like Cassel and Fitzpatrick can work, I personally am not comfortable having to choose between those two guys on a weekly basis. Just my comfort zone.

May main league is a keeper league as well, so our draft tends to look screwey. I'm keeping Charles in the 2nd, Rice in the 4th and Jennings in the 7th. With the 6th overall pick, I'm looking at taking a top WR (hopefully Calvin or Roddy). When I pick again in the 3rd, I would consider taking a top QB there since I have already loaded up at RB and WR.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)