Good rankings sites for a newbie? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Beginner's Forum

Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby angels7777 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Besides the cafe of course... Receptions are worth .5 points... We start 3 WR...

I have read up a little on some fantasy football tips - I have played baseball and basketball for several years so I am now giving football a try:

I am looking for some tips to follow: how many of the first few rounds do I take a RB, WR? I have seen some site say to take a defense and kicker the last 2 rounds. What's your advice and I need like an overall top 100 list or defense/kicker rankings. Please help draft Friday.
10 tms
.5 PPR, 6 pts for pass TD

QB- Cam
WR- AJ Green, J. Nelson, J. Gordon
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

BN- Chris Johnson, Blackmon, M. Brown, L. Bell, Randle, Rivers, Spiller
angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Posts: 1107
(Past Year: 232)
Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

I know you said not the Cafe, but the Cafe has rankings up already and there are a number of guys that have posted rankings in the Football Talk forum. As for some strategy, I agree with waiting for your Def and K until the last rounds. The rest of it you have to see how the draft is progressing and be flexible with the way you draft. You don't want to be on the end of a position run. I tend to stock up on RBs and wait until the later rounds (6-8) to get a QB. Throw in some WRs (again depends on how the draft is going). I like to ideally have 3 RB and 2 WR in the first 5 rounds, but I am not opposed to any combination as long as teh value is there.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby Calyxes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm

rankings are just peoples opinions. Do your homework and read as many things as you can. use your judgement and have a great year. My gut feeling is my best ranker ;-D
Image
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3014
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Maritime Capital of the Great lakes

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby Venom » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm

dream_017 wrote:I tend to stock up on RBs and wait until the later rounds (6-8) to get a QB. Throw in some WRs (again depends on how the draft is going). I like to ideally have 3 RB and 2 WR in the first 5 rounds, but I am not opposed to any combination as long as teh value is there.


This is how I do it as well. Unless an elite option at QB or TE falls to me (Rodgers, Vick, Gates, etc) I have already drafted 2 RBs and 2 WRs by the time the 5th round comes along. I wait until the next to last round for a kicker, and the last round is my D/ST.

Take a look around, and ask questions. You'll be Charlie Sheen-ing in no time :-b ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 1845
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cleveland, OH-IO

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby angels7777 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am

Calyxes wrote:rankings are just peoples opinions. Do your homework and read as many things as you can. use your judgement and have a great year. My gut feeling is my best ranker ;-D


well, who's opinions are the best then? when you are a rookie, rankings are gospel to make sure your team is at least competitive, otherwise you end up with an off the wall team...
10 tms
.5 PPR, 6 pts for pass TD

QB- Cam
WR- AJ Green, J. Nelson, J. Gordon
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

BN- Chris Johnson, Blackmon, M. Brown, L. Bell, Randle, Rivers, Spiller
angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Posts: 1107
(Past Year: 232)
Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 pm

angels7777 wrote:
Calyxes wrote:rankings are just peoples opinions. Do your homework and read as many things as you can. use your judgement and have a great year. My gut feeling is my best ranker ;-D


well, who's opinions are the best then? when you are a rookie, rankings are gospel to make sure your team is at least competitive, otherwise you end up with an off the wall team...


I think the best thing you can do as a rookie is to go to an ESPN or Yahoo site and check out their rankings.... this gives you an idea of what the "conventional wisdom" is on the value of each player. Then do your homework. Follow a site like Rotowire that gives training camp updates. Who is hurt? Who is getting a lot of reps? Who are the coaches heaping praise upon? You have to read between the lines a little bit, but you can adjust your player rankings based on the homework that you do.

Then follow your rankings... especially for the first 5 or 6 rounds, I look to take BPA, or best player available, without a whole lot of thought as to what positions I am drafting. As you progress through the draft, look to fill your roster with BPA relative to roster needs.

In the end, trust your pre-draft list... if you follow it and have some luck with players staying healthy, you should have a competitive team.
Indibuck
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 4455
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 8 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fort Rain

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby angels7777 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Indibuck wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
Calyxes wrote:rankings are just peoples opinions. Do your homework and read as many things as you can. use your judgement and have a great year. My gut feeling is my best ranker ;-D


well, who's opinions are the best then? when you are a rookie, rankings are gospel to make sure your team is at least competitive, otherwise you end up with an off the wall team...


I think the best thing you can do as a rookie is to go to an ESPN or Yahoo site and check out their rankings.... this gives you an idea of what the "conventional wisdom" is on the value of each player. Then do your homework. Follow a site like Rotowire that gives training camp updates. Who is hurt? Who is getting a lot of reps? Who are the coaches heaping praise upon? You have to read between the lines a little bit, but you can adjust your player rankings based on the homework that you do.

Then follow your rankings... especially for the first 5 or 6 rounds, I look to take BPA, or best
player available, without a whole lot of thought as to what positions I am drafting. As you progress through the draft, look to fill your roster with BPA relative to roster needs.

In the end, trust your pre-draft list... if you follow it and have some luck with players staying healthy, you should have a competitive team.


Thanks, this is what I try to do when playing baseball and basketball... I just do not know enough about value in football at this point...
10 tms
.5 PPR, 6 pts for pass TD

QB- Cam
WR- AJ Green, J. Nelson, J. Gordon
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

BN- Chris Johnson, Blackmon, M. Brown, L. Bell, Randle, Rivers, Spiller
angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Posts: 1107
(Past Year: 232)
Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby P1Army » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Here are a few good sites to check.


http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball
http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/football

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2011/overall.cfm

yahoo is good to

I would recommend going to CBS, yahoo and espn and doing multiple Mock drafts try drafting with and early middle and late draft position or from your draft position if you already know where you’ll be. Make sure that you do a mock draft for the appropriate draft type and correct number of teams. It does no good to do a mock draft for a 8 team league when you are in a 12 team league.

I would also recommend twitter, follow guys like TMR Nate Ravits, Adam Schefter, Jason Laconfora, Michael fabiano and Jay Glazer just for funzies…these guys will keep you up to date in near real time with things like free agent acquisitions, trades, camp news and even fantasy rankings articles and assessments. Ultimately though like others have said here these are just the opinions of other guys who play fantasy football there are no hard and fast rules. I do have one personal rule of thumb that I like to impart on newbs, draft at least one or two guys you legitimately like and want to see do well. Or at least 1 guy from your favorite team. It makes thing a lot more fun when you can really get behind your players, Don’t overspend on these guys in the draft but having one or two guys you really want will make drafting easier because you’ll have a couple benchmark players to keep an eye on.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Send questions direct to my twitter account @gallegosdavidm
P1Army
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 319
Joined: 6 Sep 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby latraffic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Cafe is of course number one for info but my second resource is CBSSports.com. Great free "2011 Fantasy Football Downloadable Draft Kit" which they update pretty regulary. As a newbie, kits like this can help give you what you need to do the research in prep for your draft.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1710
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Currently in Dallas, Oregon

Re: Good rankings sites for a newbie?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 am

Check out FantasyPros:
http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings ... heets.php#

They combine the rankings of 50 to 60 fantasy experts (it even allows you the option of eliminating any of the experts whose rankings you do not want)
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 23:45 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact