Fantasy Magazines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Magazines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fantasy Magazines

Postby converge241 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 am

Here's the thing about magazines -

Are they usually outdated and useless in terms of actual planning/use on draft day in today's age? YES

BUT

I still buy a ton for football and baseball for just:
Casual reading
A good sense of popular opinion

Most of my planning stuff for baseball and football are my own creations but I still buy probably 6-7 baseball and 3-4 football every year just to read, and cant discount the second thing enough..there are still so many people who live and die by a magazine that if you keep your pulse on those opinions and feelings you can tell how your draft or auction is going to go (that and a lot of mocks of course).

I already bought the Sporting News one and will buy a few more (probably today a trip to Barnes & noble in order - lord knows it wont be Borders) and wont use them at all AT the draft. I devour them then usually donate them to folks in the office or at the VA.

Ill get the Pro Football Weekly, ESPN, and maybe one other one (the Index??) and just lay on the couch on night/afternoon and plow through.
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Fantasy Football Index is one of the better magazines out there, but they are not doing a magazine this year because of the lockout - prob a few others as well that won't be having a mag this season.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby howie789 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:19 pm

The SportsWeekly Fantasy Football tabloid to come out Aug 15th- just got an email from them..
howie789
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:44 pm

stomperrob wrote:Fantasy Football Index is one of the better magazines out there, but they are not doing a magazine this year because of the lockout - prob a few others as well that won't be having a mag this season.

Actually the Index is offering an online version they will publish I believe Aug 10th. Electronic format only, but these guys do their homework. You will have all the FA and trade moves included in their analysis. For a little extra dough, they also will provide preseason updates.

I get this every year to compare to my own projections - the most mathematically sound analysis of FF available in my opinion.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Fantasy Magazines

Postby erknjerk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Fantasy Football Index also has a free update for magazine buyers. I've used them every year I've played. They also normally print later then everybody else to keep up to date.
erknjerk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby GridIronBoss » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 pm

I remember when me and my bro ran our fantasy league (which is on NFL.com now) we used to meet at my house,and everyone had magazines, papers, pens, draft charts written out, etc.... Now all it takes is the internet.:) I still buy one every year just to read through it, but use my laptop for all my drafts now (both offline and online)
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=491259-Grid Iron Keeper League- Looking for Teams- 4 keeper league
GridIronBoss
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Football Talk