Need Help With Scoring/Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Need Help With Scoring/Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need Help With Scoring/Strategy

Postby Rmbxr9 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 am

This will be my 2nd year in this league, which is about 16-17 teams deep.
Seems like a lot to me, but whatever, it's the only $ League I can get into.

Anyway, it's just a simple total points league, most points at the end wins. Last year I did terrible, in part because of injury and busts: Ryan Grant, Frank Gore, Jay Cutler, Larry Fitzgerald, Brent Celek angry.gif

I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing in the our league scoring system though, something that would make you value someone more than other leagues, downgrade players, etc.

- For instance in my MLB league, we play Wins and Losses. So while Felix Hernandez is regarded in real life as great, he's basically the #25 best pitcher because his team stink and he gets losses.
Stuff like that...

Here's my scoring, disregarding Kickers and Defense.

PASSING
Completion: +.5
Incomplete Pass: -.25
Passing Yards: 1 Point Per 35 Yards Thrown
Passing Touchdown: +6
Interceptions: -2
Sack: -1

RUSHING/RECEIVING
Rushing Yards: 1 Point Per 20 Yards
Rushing Touchdowns: +6
Receptions: +.25

Receiving Yards: 1 Point Per 20 Yards
Reception Touchdown: +6
Return Yards: 1 Point Per 20 Yards
Return Touchdowns: +6

Fumbles Lost -2

So, last year, Cutler got sacked a ton so that hurt. So did the Incompletions.
Also, not being super familiar with Fant.Football, I know that it's a "PPR League", but based on the points in relation to TD/Yards etc is the .25 PPR note-worthy or not?

Thanks so much
Rmbxr9
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Help With Scoring/Strategy

Postby Devil Doc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 am

I think the RB/WR positions are probably the most coveted due to the lack of NEGATIVE POINTS AGAINST them, and getting 1 point/4 catches works as well. I think I would target those two positions, including TE's, in this scoring format before another QB.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LSUby50 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 am

any time im in a league with unique scoring i go back and look at last year's final player rankings for that particular scoring settings. If its a yahoo league, its easy to do. I wouldnt rank players strictly based on last year's stats, but it gives you a great idea about what positions are better and what type players score the best. You can adjust them accordingly.

Ive played in some 20 team leagues and it does alter the player values because QBs are very scarce. Since there are only 32 NFL starters, not every fantasy team has a qb to cover the bye week, not to mention injuries. Make sure you get a solid starting QB, and then a backup before they run out. Its much easier to find a spot starter at WR or even RB than Qb. After your bye week, if you want to take a gamble on injuries, you can trade your backup qb for a starter upgrade at anoter position.

Also watch the FA board closely early in the season. in a league that deep there wont be many usefull players getting dropped so you have to jump on any player that even has 1 good game. i was able to find Brandon Lloyd last year and Miles Austin the year before that and it was a huge advantage.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby Rmbxr9 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for responding.
I know last year Brees went like #4, and in the 1st round there were probably 4-5 QBs taken.
So then i kind of waited and grabbed Cutler a bit later.

The (-) point thing makes sense on the QBs. There were a few weeks where I think Cutler had negative points after like a 19-40, 2 INT, 3 Sacks.
Rmbxr9
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Rmbxr9 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Bit of a bump, and sorry for the length, but I was able to find most of last years ending Points.
Couldn't find Vick and Andre Johnson... As they weren't on final rosters for some reason (Byes?)

Just for reference, 1st Place finished with around 1,700 Points.
He had Payton Manning, who had 448 Points, or 26% of this total points...

I'm also wondering about Defense, even though I know everyone says wait til last round. But here were the Defenses.

Pitts - 351 Points
G.B - 341 Points
N.E - 304

Then there's about 10 teams with around 240-260 (STL, Jets, K.C, DET, TENN, N.O, ATL, etc)
Jacksonville had 108 Points, and then the rest had around <200, like Indy, Dallas, Buff, etc.

So there's a decent gap between the top 3 Ds and the rest, right?

QBS
P. Manning - 448
D. Brees - 428
T.Brady - 419
A. Rodgers - 382
P.Rivers - 380
M. Ryan - 361
E. Manning - 347
M. Schaub - 340
C. Palmer - 326
J. Freeman - 322
J. Flacco - 306
M. Cassel - 300
S. Bradford - 270
-
C. Henne - 220
M. Hasselbeck - 195

RBs
A. Foster - 231
A. Peterson - 167
P. Hillis - 167
C. Johnson - 160

Then there's about 10 guys from 160-145 range

Ray Rice - 140
S. Jackson - 127
A. Bradshaw - 126

WRs
D. Bowe - 166
R. White - 160
B. Lloyd - 156
D. Ammendola - 155
P. Harvin - 155
G. Jennings - 153
C. Johnson - 150
H. Nicks - 140
M. Wallace - 140
R. Wayne - 130
D. Jackson - 127
J. Maclin - 127
D. Hester - 127
M. Austin - 120

All this said, the Settings are
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
K
DEF

So, I'm thinking you have to go QB with your #1 pick, and try to get one of the top 5-6.
And IMO, it seems like RB and WR are way less important, or that you can at least get by with a lot of middle tier guys if you can't get the top 1-3.
Rmbxr9
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Indibuck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Usually I would tell folks to wait on QB, as it is relatively deep, with 8 guys in my top two tiers. But your league scoring dictates that you look for one of those 8 guys in the first round if at all possible. The elite QBs outscore the non-elite by a pretty fair margin.

If you miss out on the elite QBs, and for the rest of the draft regardless, I would look for TD machines at the RB/WR spots... 1 point per 20 yards makes TDs that much more valuable than standard scoring. The .25 PPR doesn't make much of a difference in ranking players... guys like Rashard Mendenhall would move up my cheat sheet.

And maybe you take a shot at an elite D, due to the scoring discrepancies at that position. But if you don't get a top-5 squad, I would sit and wait on Ds.

Good luck! ;-D
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Rmbxr9 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Appreciate it.
Last season D.Brees was taken #1.
A.Rodgers #7
P.Manning #12
T.Brady #15
M.Schaub #18
T.Romo #19
P.Rivers #20
B.Favre #21

So halfway in to the 2nd Round, 8 QBs were gone.
If you sub Vick for Favre, I'd expect the same.

That said... Matt Ryan went #116, M.Stafford #120
So, maybe you can wait until later to get someone like that, or a Joe Flacco/Sam Bradford
But like you said, the discrepancy between the tiers is the most pronounced in the league.

I'd like to pick like 6 or 7th, take Brady/Rodgers and then grab the best available running back in the 2nd Round.
Rmbxr9
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions