Need Keeper help/advise - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need Keeper help/advise

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need Keeper help/advise

Postby GiveUp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm

OK I'll try and be brief. I need the advise of Commissioners with keeper experience. My re-draft league is going to move to a keeper after this years draft. We have a 10 team PPR/performance scoring league with a couple of IDP slots and 2 flex slots. So in all a 21 round draft with 14 active slots. I'd like to reward owners for smart drafting and lucky/smart use of FAAB by retaining players. I don't want a ton of book keeping or dynasties built. We still have some turnover from year to year and I don't want a huge power gap.

I'd appreciate any feedback or glaring loopholes pointed out. Luckily it is a friendly league and we know each other well. It has been going for 7 years without any real rules/problems. Hopefully all that is needed is a rough guideline.

I'm thinking of adding an IR spot plus the following rules:

1) keep up to 4 players from your end of year roster, but no more than 2 at any position.
2) You must elect your keepers before the start of the 1st preseason game? What's a good election time?
3) Drafted players will escalate in draft cost from the previous years at a rate of at least:
2 rounds each year for a maximum of 3 years. Seems pretty standard right? Should a player keep his draft position if dropped? Seems like they should. i.e. V Jackson from last year. I'd hate for someone to nab him at a FA cost in week 14.
4) undrafted players kept will cost you at least your 13th round pick in the 1st year and follow the escalating cost there after.
5) Players placed in the IR slot do not have to be kept, but they can not be traded. I don't want owners 'borrowing' IR spots
6) New owners will be assigned a previous owners team and are allowed to keep 1 player free of escalation. i.e. last years draft cost. (we still have a few owners bounce in and out, might help entice)

I figure its a good idea to let the non-playoff teams continue to use their FAAB add/drop to prospect for next year as long as they maintain a proper roster. i.e. no dropping kickers to pick up a rookie RB/WR. Any idea on a rule to prevent dropping 1-2 round talent that they couldn't keep next year? I.e. dropping MJD who couldn't be kept only to grab an emerging WR/RB.
Trades close on about week 11. Should I allow trades after the final game up until keeper election time? Seems like off-season trading SHOULD be allowed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.
GiveUp Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need Keeper help/advise

Postby guyj72 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am

I have run a keeper league for 11 years and I really enjoy them. I just have a couple of opinions. They are by no means the only way to do things but I like running them this way.

One: I don't like putting a limit on how long a team can keep a guy. If someone wishes to use a 1st round keeper on someone every year then let them. It makes the drafting of rookies more interesting. If a guy works out you could have him for a long time or he may be a bust. Also, from running leagues for a long time, teams turn over pretty quickly. I also like the challenge of when is the best time to let a guy go at the end of their careers.

Two: I don't make players announce their keepers until a week before my draft. It just helps with injuries and assists with who to decide to keep.

Hope this helps and good luck!
guyj72
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need Keeper help/advise

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 pm

i'm in a rush but please read this thread http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=468904and if you have more questions post them here
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner