Vick 1st rd gates 3rd???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby pop2160 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:59 pm

Ok in a stardard scoring league. QB TD pass range from 4 to 6 depending on length everything else is normal...My questions would you consider taking vick first round...2nd taking a RB and then 3rd taking Gates. I am drafting 9th in a 10 team league.
I know i will be way behind on RB but the argument is that each and every week i should win the QB and TE position easily after that i would stock up on RB and WR what do you think?
pop2160
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 18
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Probably not. My rule of thumb is that if you are going to draft an elite QB or TE, you can get one but not both... you will be playing catchup at the RB and WR positions for the rest of the draft.

If you are planning on taking Vick early, you should probably plan on investing earlier that normal on your backup QB... kind of a double whammy from a draft value standpoint. I can't blame someone for taking Vick early, as he has the highest ceiling of any QB (and possibly any player, period), you just have to be willing to pay the price to do it.
Indibuck
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 4455
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 8 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fort Rain

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby pop2160 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Ok more thought on this...My uncle drafts behind me and i know he wont take Vick...rodgers yes but not Vick so if vick gets to me at 9 i am thinking RB....then vick 2nd rd with after that i can either go WR. but most of the elite will def. be gone by then leaving me to take gates because he will outscore most WR at this pick. Coming back around i have been able to get shoone green alot in the 4th rd
pop2160
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 18
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby thebigsmooth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 am

pop2160 wrote:Ok in a stardard scoring league. QB TD pass range from 4 to 6 depending on length everything else is normal...My questions would you consider taking vick first round...2nd taking a RB and then 3rd taking Gates. I am drafting 9th in a 10 team league.
I know i will be way behind on RB but the argument is that each and every week i should win the QB and TE position easily after that i would stock up on RB and WR what do you think?



I assume you read MAtt Berry's Draft Day Manifesto?
Image
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1405
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Michigan

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby Calyxes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I will not take a QB in the first round. You can get one that would be just a step down in later rounds while getting a stud WR/RB in the first
Image
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3014
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Maritime Capital of the Great lakes

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm

First things first. If you're confident that Vick will slip to you in round 2 then get your RB first.
Now, I think you're making a mistake taking Gates so early. I don't think he'll outscore more WR's
and have doubts he'll be the #1 TE this year. The TE spot is extremely deep with truly talented
people this season. I've had Gates as a keeper for a few seasons but as great as he is it's not
worth such a high pick these days.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 148
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 4 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby prophecy135 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm

thebigsmooth wrote:
pop2160 wrote:Ok in a stardard scoring league. QB TD pass range from 4 to 6 depending on length everything else is normal...My questions would you consider taking vick first round...2nd taking a RB and then 3rd taking Gates. I am drafting 9th in a 10 team league.
I know i will be way behind on RB but the argument is that each and every week i should win the QB and TE position easily after that i would stock up on RB and WR what do you think?



I assume you read MAtt Berry's Draft Day Manifesto?


haha I read that last night.. flies in the face of pretty much what any other "expert" says. Berry says, and rightly so that Vick outscores any other QB by at least 7 points a game, but he minimizes the fact that he only played 11 games due to injury. He also minimizes the fact that one game kind of skews the points per game numbers, and at the end of the season many teams keyed in on stopping Vick.

I don't disagree with reaching on Gates, but I think if you're taking Vick early you NEED to invest in a back up, and a high quality one at that, you dont want to be running Matt Moore out there if Vick goes down.. This also minimizes your depth at WR and RB, two positions that you will be behind in against everyone else in the league.. Lets not forget you start just 1 QB, and just 1 TE, but 2-3 WR, 2-3 RB based on your league format.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Posts: 1851
(Past Year: 206)
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm

prophecy135 wrote:
thebigsmooth wrote:
pop2160 wrote:Ok in a stardard scoring league. QB TD pass range from 4 to 6 depending on length everything else is normal...My questions would you consider taking vick first round...2nd taking a RB and then 3rd taking Gates. I am drafting 9th in a 10 team league.
I know i will be way behind on RB but the argument is that each and every week i should win the QB and TE position easily after that i would stock up on RB and WR what do you think?



I assume you read MAtt Berry's Draft Day Manifesto?


haha I read that last night.. flies in the face of pretty much what any other "expert" says. Berry says, and rightly so that Vick outscores any other QB by at least 7 points a game, but he minimizes the fact that he only played 11 games due to injury. He also minimizes the fact that one game kind of skews the points per game numbers, and at the end of the season many teams keyed in on stopping Vick.

I don't disagree with reaching on Gates, but I think if you're taking Vick early you NEED to invest in a back up, and a high quality one at that, you dont want to be running Matt Moore out there if Vick goes down.. This also minimizes your depth at WR and RB, two positions that you will be behind in against everyone else in the league.. Lets not forget you start just 1 QB, and just 1 TE, but 2-3 WR, 2-3 RB based on your league format.



As an owner who is keeping Vick this year, I'd agree on the need for a strong back-up. I think you'll be safe waiting on that back up and getting V. Young as he'll be in when (and we all know there will be times) Vick is out. Young is a headcase, but he's a talented player and will be able to put up points a plenty with the talent that's on that team.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 148
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 4 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby prophecy135 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:46 pm

As an owner who is keeping Vick this year, I'd agree on the need for a strong back-up. I think you'll be safe waiting on that back up and getting V. Young as he'll be in when (and we all know there will be times) Vick is out. Young is a headcase, but he's a talented player and will be able to put up points a plenty with the talent that's on that team.


I don't like Young as a back up, sure you could basically grab him with your last pick but what are you going to do on the Eagles bye week? are you going to carry 3 QB's or grab another just for that week.. I think you'd be better off grabbing someone like Stafford or better yet, Freeman as he also gets points with his legs.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Posts: 1851
(Past Year: 206)
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 pm

prophecy135 wrote:
As an owner who is keeping Vick this year, I'd agree on the need for a strong back-up. I think you'll be safe waiting on that back up and getting V. Young as he'll be in when (and we all know there will be times) Vick is out. Young is a headcase, but he's a talented player and will be able to put up points a plenty with the talent that's on that team.


I don't like Young as a back up, sure you could basically grab him with your last pick but what are you going to do on the Eagles bye week? are you going to carry 3 QB's or grab another just for that week.. I think you'd be better off grabbing someone like Stafford or better yet, Freeman as he also gets points with his legs.



No doubt if you can grab a Freeman or Stafford as back up you should. I mean you're going to have a back up for the bye week no matter what you do. The bye week aside, Young will surprise some people when he does need to fill in. I play in a 2 QB league and will have to have 4 on the roster because I do intend to have Young on my bench. When the bye week isn't an issue anymore I'd roster Vick and Young without concern.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 148
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 4 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:10 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact