Vick 1st rd gates 3rd???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Vick 1st rd gates 3rd????

Postby LSUby50 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm

i saw that manifesto article too, and he makes some good points. I think the idea behind jumping on Vick and Gates early is that you can use the whole rest of the draft to pick RBs and Wrs with upside. (and a decent backup QB). Every year there's a suprise rb or wr (arian foster, Brandon Lloyd) so if you use about 10 picks trying to find the next diamond in the rough it may work out. Its kind of a "boom or bust" strategy imo. Sure you'll win all the QB and TE matchups when they are both healthy,except Vick and Gates are both usually nursing some injury or another.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby prophecy135 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 pm

LSUby50 wrote:i saw that manifesto article too, and he makes some good points. I think the idea behind jumping on Vick and Gates early is that you can use the whole rest of the draft to pick RBs and Wrs with upside. (and a decent backup QB). Every year there's a suprise rb or wr (arian foster, Brandon Lloyd) so if you use about 10 picks trying to find the next diamond in the rough it may work out. Its kind of a "boom or bust" strategy imo. Sure you'll win all the QB and TE matchups when they are both healthy,except Vick and Gates are both usually nursing some injury or another.

Exactly why I will shy away from this strategy, its awesome to have a clear advantage in those two positions and if you get lucky you might get a breakout rb or wr, but whatdo you do if Vick or gates goes down, which both are prone to do.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby pop2160 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:09 pm

After thinking bout this idea i have decided to totally scrape it from consideration. Vick and gates are way to injury prone and the more mocks i do i am realizing i can get a top rb and top wr in the first 2 rounds then a qb 3rd...normally brady or river with shonne greene in the forth....i am thinking i might need to reach for brady if i want him in the 2nd but since we draft during the 4th week of preseason i will have a better feel then...going with the rb/wr then qb idea i been getting my first 5 picks to look something like this
WR being A. johnson, or roddey white
RB being MJD, or mendenhall
qb being rivers or brady
rb#2 being green
then taking a TE in the 5th which i been grabbing davis or witten alot
idk another RB that will move up the chart i think is best with leshoure being done for the season
Plus you have the rookie williams in arizona and a ton of other sleepers at RB but i am thinking at least i want a RB in the 1st or 2nd then my 2nd RB by the 4th no later
pop2160
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby thedrizzle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 pm

If you do this, and I don't think its a bad strategy at all (I was considering doing this in my money league), I would go WR in the second round and get Blount in the forth. I think Blount is a viable #1 RB.
thedrizzle
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions