Yahoo FF League--Bonus Offense? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo FF League--Bonus Offense?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo FF League--Bonus Offense?

Postby bodotdot » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Setting up a 12-team .5-point PPR league. Should I use Yahoo's "Bonus Offense" categories, which lets you set bonus points for 40+ yard TD passes, receptions or rushes? I'd hate to see a week's head-to-head matchup greatly swayed by any one player's one-game performance...and, since the playoff tiebreaker is total points, I wouldn't want a couple of fluke performances to be the deciding factor there, either. I've made passing rushing and receiving TD's 6 points, but passing TDs just 4 points, because I only see 7 elite QB's this year.

Am I over-thinking this? What are the arguments FOR using Yahoo's "Bonus Offense" categories?
bodotdot
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo FF League--Bonus Offense?

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:12 pm

I've never been a fan of the bonus categories. Some people love them, and to each their own, but they're not for me. I also don't like the fluky-lucky side of the coin for these big play TDs, as they're pretty hard to predict and a total crap shoot for the most part. Will DeSean Jackson have more 40+ yard TDs than Mike Williams (TB)? Probably, but by how many? Why try to predict that in the first place? :-?

If anything, I'm OK with bonuses for QBs going over 300 yards, RBs over 125 and WRs over 100 if you want bonuses, as these are more a function of elite talent, opportunity and consistency, which you can at least project with some reliability, but again I'd rather not have bonuses at all if I'm calling the shots.

Side note: Don't worry about the passing TD points or fall into the trap of thinking they really change QB value at all. 4-pointers MARGINALLY make running QBs a tad more valuable, if you can predict they'll score enough on the ground to offset the passing TDs they'll sacrifice by doing so, but for the most part QB touchdown passing points are an objective exercise, nothing more ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I'd rather not have bonuses at all if I'm calling the shots.

Agreed ;-D Not a fan of one fluke play changing the outcome of a game.

bodotdot wrote:...but passing TDs just 4 points, because I only see 7 elite QB's this year.

You are setting points based on what you think there is available? Would you say Vick was a top QB last year? but he wasn't drafted and nobody had him on their top 7 ranking prior to the season. This is very much overthinking your scoring.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:47 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I've never been a fan of the bonus categories. Some people love them, and to each their own, but they're not for me. I also don't like the fluky-lucky side of the coin for these big play TDs, as they're pretty hard to predict and a total crap shoot for the most part. Will DeSean Jackson have more 40+ yard TDs than Mike Williams (TB)? Probably, but by how many? Why try to predict that in the first place? :-?

If anything, I'm OK with bonuses for QBs going over 300 yards, RBs over 125 and WRs over 100 if you want bonuses, as these are more a function of elite talent, opportunity and consistency, which you can at least project with some reliability, but again I'd rather not have bonuses at all if I'm calling the shots.

Side note: Don't worry about the passing TD points or fall into the trap of thinking they really change QB value at all. 4-pointers MARGINALLY make running QBs a tad more valuable, if you can predict they'll score enough on the ground to offset the passing TDs they'll sacrifice by doing so, but for the most part QB touchdown passing points are an objective exercise, nothing more ...

this sums it up pretty well...i dont even like the "over X yards" bonus...is 300 yards really worth 3 points more than 299
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner