Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

A. Peterson for J. Charles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A. Peterson for J. Charles

Postby Those About To Rock » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Oh, my bad guys. It's Calvin Johnson

Positions are: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB, TE, K, DEF and 6 BEN

A. Foster
Charles/Peterson (currently I own Peterson)
L. Fitz
C. Johnson

that fills out RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2. The flex throws a wrench in. It's easy to forget V. Jax production after his holdout last year, but the Chargers did have a pretty solid offense. I think KC is only going to get better, but they have more depth than Bowe at WR...though that just might mean softer coverage? Austin, I'm trying to nickel and dime him. I expect, if I drop Brady into the pool, that we will have a pool with M. Ryan, T. Brady, D. Brees/M. Vick, and all of the young QBs like Freeman Stafford and Sanford. I'll play my cards there and hope for a QB in mid-draft.

If I keep Jax, Bowe, Austin, or Gore -- I still have 3 players to trade or let drift back into the pool. I'd rather cash in on as much as I can while the value is good.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

OK, since it's Calvin, I think you don't need to keep Austin or Jackson. Or Brady. I think you're VASTLY underrating Gore. Not only do I think you shouldn't include him in a crazy deal for a better draft pick, I actually think he should be your 5th keeper. With Foster, Peterson and Gore you'd have the top two RBs plus a third top-12 in Gore, and then be adding a top-3 and a top-10 WR to that mix? Yes, please! With the QBs you anticipate being thrown back, dumping Brady is a no-brainer even if you're a bit off on the assessment. Bowe is a curious case, but I don't think you can possibly rank him above Jackson or Austin, who are also fringe top-10/12 guys while I have Bowe more in the 15 range. All are good WRs, and nice keepers, but with the ability to lock down both RB spots and WR spots AND have Gore as your Flex is just gravy.
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Those About To Rock » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:05 pm

http://www.nfl.com/player/frankgore/2506404/careerstats

Frank Gore does have four 1k yard seasons. In one season he has 10 TDs and in one 8 -- combining for over half his career TDs (all just rushing).

But, given one of those years, he'd undoubtedly be a decent back -- easy to see the upside.

Now lets look at his team...

Alex Smith. Not an offensive threat, not that great (though I'm not sure he's as bad as he gets the wrap for)
WRs -- who? Crabree is extreme fragile (already injured for 4-6 weeks). Their oline is awful. There is NO supporting cast. Gore, who is injury prone, is going to run into brick wall after brick wall after brick wall this season until he gets injured again. That offense lends no help to Gore.

That said, his upside will not be realized this season. I'd rather barter him for someone I can have more faith in. Maybe I can put together a deal to use Gore and some others to pick up an RB I have more faith in.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby prophecy135 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 am

OK, since it's Calvin, I think you don't need to keep Austin or Jackson. Or Brady. I think you're VASTLY underrating Gore. Not only do I think you shouldn't include him in a crazy deal for a better draft pick, I actually think he should be your 5th keeper. With Foster, Peterson and Gore you'd have the top two RBs plus a third top-12 in Gore, and then be adding a top-3 and a top-10 WR to that mix? Yes, please! With the QBs you anticipate being thrown back, dumping Brady is a no-brainer even if you're a bit off on the assessment. Bowe is a curious case, but I don't think you can possibly rank him above Jackson or Austin, who are also fringe top-10/12 guys while I have Bowe more in the 15 range. All are good WRs, and nice keepers, but with the ability to lock down both RB spots and WR spots AND have Gore as your Flex is just gravy.

I agree with most of this, I dont like Bowe at all, and definetly not more then Jackson or Austin..

Frank Gore does have four 1k yard seasons. In one season he has 10 TDs and in one 8 -- combining for over half his career TDs (all just rushing).

But, given one of those years, he'd undoubtedly be a decent back -- easy to see the upside.

Now lets look at his team...

Alex Smith. Not an offensive threat, not that great (though I'm not sure he's as bad as he gets the wrap for)
WRs -- who? Crabree is extreme fragile (already injured for 4-6 weeks). Their oline is awful. There is NO supporting cast. Gore, who is injury prone, is going to run into brick wall after brick wall after brick wall this season until he gets injured again. That offense lends no help to Gore.

That said, his upside will not be realized this season. I'd rather barter him for someone I can have more faith in. Maybe I can put together a deal to use Gore and some others to pick up an RB I have more faith in.

I dont understand how you dislike Gore so much, the niners are going to run their offense through their best players, those bein Gore and Vernan Davis. And as for Gore being injury prone, sure he gets injured, but he's only missed more then 2 games 3 tames once in his career, and that was due to a broken hip! sure he's getting up there, but I think the niners know that more then anyone and while they may limit his touches a bit, his recieving ability more then makes up for any carries he may lose. not to mention he averages more then 100+ total yards a game EVERY year! but to each their own, and if you think you need to get someone you have more faith in, then I can't blame you. but DO NOT just throw gore in for a draft pick, he has much more value then that.

*edit* also their o line is much better then you give them credit for, they had rookies on the line who will be much better this year after having a year under their belt. and Gore was on his way to a 1000+ rushing yards and close to 700 yards recieving last year with that O line before he had a freak injury.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby Those About To Rock » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

The latest on the trade is this. I'm looking to give up

A. Peterson
F. Gore
M. Austin (he's a Cowboys fan, I love playing people according to things like that....)

for:

Jamaal Charles
Andre Johnson

If successful, my 5 keepers would be:

A. Foster
J. Charles
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
L. Fitz

I'd really have a hard time feeling bad about that.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 am

Indibuck wrote:No way do I trade AP for Charles, regardless of format... unless you get extra points for having a hideously hard schedule in the second half of the season. :-?

While I still think I (barely) disagree about the format, it's a non issue since this is non PPR and therefore I still agree that any deal giving Peterson for Charles isn't worth it. Even if you upgrade your WR3 from Jackson to Andre IMO. Plus throwing Gore in there you are giving up too much value to basically not improve your team at all. If you have to give a lot to truly upgrade your team, then helping another guy out with a deal like this is mutually beneficial, but I see it as a lateral move that doesn't really improve you in the long run and helps out a leaguemate essentially for free ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Indibuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am

Those About To Rock wrote:The latest on the trade is this. I'm looking to give up

A. Peterson
F. Gore
M. Austin (he's a Cowboys fan, I love playing people according to things like that....)

for:

Jamaal Charles
Andre Johnson

A. Foster
J. Charles
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
L. Fitz

I would rather start with:
Foster
AP
Gore
Calvin
Fitz

than:
Foster
Charles
Calvin
Andre
Fitz

especially in a non-PPR league.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby prophecy135 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Indibuck wrote:
Those About To Rock wrote:The latest on the trade is this. I'm looking to give up

A. Peterson
F. Gore

for:

Jamaal Charles
Andre Johnson

A. Foster
J. Charles
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
L. Fitz

Foster
AP
Gore
Calvin
Fitz

than:
Foster
Charles
Calvin
Andre
Fitz

I would take Foster, AD, Gore, Calvin Fitz in any format over Foster, Charles, Calvin, Andre, Fitz..
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:12 pm

prophecy135 wrote:
Indibuck wrote:

A. Peterson
F. Gore

for:

Jamaal Charles
Andre Johnson

A. Foster
J. Charles
Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
L. Fitz

Foster
AP
Gore
Calvin
Fitz

than:
Foster
Charles
Calvin
Andre
Fitz

I would take Foster, AD, Gore, Calvin Fitz in any format over Foster, Charles, Calvin, Andre, Fitz..

Thirded.
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions