Playoff Format - Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Format - Fantasy Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff Format - Fantasy Football

Postby UFFLCOMMISH11 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm

I am currently the commisioner of a 10 team league and we are looking at changing our playoff format. Currently, 6 teams make the playoffs out of the 10 teams. Our playoffs start in Week 14 with the top two teams having byes and the 4 wild cards playing each other. A pretty standard single elimination playoff format with the championship in Week 16. What formats do other leagues utilize for their playoffs. Please include total number of teams in league, if you have divisions and total number of teams that make the playoffs.
UFFLCOMMISH11
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff Format - Fantasy Football

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 pm

UFFLCOMMISH11 wrote:I am currently the commisioner of a 10 team league and we are looking at changing our playoff format. Currently, 6 teams make the playoffs out of the 10 teams. Our playoffs start in Week 14 with the top two teams having byes and the 4 wild cards playing each other. A pretty standard single elimination playoff format with the championship in Week 16. What formats do other leagues utilize for their playoffs. Please include total number of teams in league, if you have divisions and total number of teams that make the playoffs.

For a 10 team league the set-up you have is pretty much the standard. The only other real option is to have only 4 playoff teams, but then you do not get a balanced schedule or you don't use the final two week of the season.

I'm also in 12 team leagues that use 6 playoff teams - 3 divisions of 4 teams, the 3 division winners and 3 wildcards make the playoffs.

Welcome to the Cafe ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 pm

First of all, welcome to the Cafe! Thanks for seeking us out for help and we hope you like what you see and stick around in the future ;-D

As for the playoffs, the format you've been using is pretty much the standard everyone online uses for a 12-team league. 10 team leagues used to use this format a lot, but the 10-teamers I've been associated with lately have gone to a 4-team playoffs with no byes and a two-week championship. So, you play 13 weeks of the league season and then the top four teams make the semifinals in week 14 with the finals in weeks 15 and 16.

This can be accomplished a couple of ways, by either having one big division with a random, completely unbalanced schedule where everyone plays everyone once and then four teams a second time, or you can even it out by rolling with two divisions of 5 teams each. Each team plays their 4 divisional opponents twice, and then plays 5 non divisional opponents once. The top team from one division plays the No. 2 team from the other division (and vice versus) in the semifinals, and then the winners play a two-week championship matchup to decide the title.

The options are endless, as you can actually roll into week 17 and have a 2-week semifinal and a 2-week final, or you can have the league take week 14 off and play the semifinals in week 15 and the final in week 16 (this helps keep the schedule balanced without making you play someone 3 times, which is unavoidable in a 10-teamer if you play 14 regular-season weeks), but the above example I gave makes the most sense to me for a 10-teamer and it's pretty tried and tested ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UFFLCOMMISH11 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:First of all, welcome to the Cafe! Thanks for seeking us out for help and we hope you like what you see and stick around in the future ;-D

As for the playoffs, the format you've been using is pretty much the standard everyone online uses for a 12-team league. 10 team leagues used to use this format a lot, but the 10-teamers I've been associated with lately have gone to a 4-team playoffs with no byes and a two-week championship. So, you play 13 weeks of the league season and then the top four teams make the semifinals in week 14 with the finals in weeks 15 and 16.

This can be accomplished a couple of ways, by either having one big division with a random, completely unbalanced schedule where everyone plays everyone once and then four teams a second time, or you can even it out by rolling with two divisions of 5 teams each. Each team plays their 4 divisional opponents twice, and then plays 5 non divisional opponents once. The top team from one division plays the No. 2 team from the other division (and vice versus) in the semifinals, and then the winners play a two-week championship matchup to decide the title.

The options are endless, as you can actually roll into week 17 and have a 2-week semifinal and a 2-week final, or you can have the league take week 14 off and play the semifinals in week 15 and the final in week 16 (this helps keep the schedule balanced without making you play someone 3 times, which is unavoidable in a 10-teamer if you play 14 regular-season weeks), but the above example I gave makes the most sense to me for a 10-teamer and it's pretty tried and tested ;-D

Thanks for the post

For the 2 week championship, do you use each team's total score from the two weeks to determine the champion?
UFFLCOMMISH11
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm

UFFLCOMMISH11 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:First of all, welcome to the Cafe! Thanks for seeking us out for help and we hope you like what you see and stick around in the future ;-D

Thanks for the post

For the 2 week championship, do you use each team's total score from the two weeks to determine the champion?

No problem! Yup, it's total score over two weeks. Usually, if I remember correctly, there's no pickups/drops in between Weeks 15 or 16, but you can change guys between your bench and starting roster. It's not imperative, but that's the way I've seen it done before ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner