Auction Draft First Timer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Auction Draft First Timer

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction Draft First Timer

Postby tidefan94 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Been in a league for a while and it's always been snake but this year people decided to switch to auction. I'm doing mock drafts to try and get a hang of it but it seems like the idea is to target under-valued players. I was thinking of grabbing a bunch of RB2s and see who has the biggest year. I have an idea of who I want on my team and was wondering what people think of this:

QB: Brees, Romo
RB: McCoy, Forte, Bradshaw, Green, Matthews, Grant, Blount, Jones, Addai, Best
WR: Fitzgerald, Maclin, Jackson, Austin, Harvin, Colston, Crabtree
TE: Witten, Finley, Davis. If not those then Lewis

Any thoughts on the players I'm targeting or ones I should be looking at but aren't.
tidefan94
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auction Draft First Timer

Postby Indibuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Just like snake drafts, the best thing you can do is mock. ESPN has mock auction drafts going 24/7. Practice practice practice. Try your theory of collecting RB2 types, who you will land, and what it will cost you.

With some preparation and practice, you can really do well with an auction draft. Just like a snake draft, have a plan but be flexible enough to jump on value when it presents itself.

Oh... and especially since no one in your league has done an auction before.... the draft will take longer than you think. A lot longer.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Indibuck wrote:Just like snake drafts, the best thing you can do is mock. ESPN has mock auction drafts going 24/7. Practice practice practice. Try your theory of collecting RB2 types, who you will land, and what it will cost you.

With some preparation and practice, you can really do well with an auction draft. Just like a snake draft, have a plan but be flexible enough to jump on value when it presents itself.

Oh... and especially since no one in your league has done an auction before.... the draft will take longer than you think. A lot longer.

All. True. ;-D

Especially the italic part ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am

Very hard to go in trying to target a potential roster - you need to be flexible, just as with the snake draft style. One or 2 guys go higher than you are willing to pay then your whole plan goes out the window. Best is to practice, but you need to hae a value in mind set for each player and keep track of your total money and needed roster positions to fill. Preparation is the key ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby srlarson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:44 am

A couple of things about auctions:
- be flexible....no matter how you prepare, you will be surprised..and those who adjust best will win
- How players are thrown out is important....some throw if you buy a guy....others throw in a round table.....
- my therory early throw out high price guys you don't want....let others spend money first.
- snake drafts if you see a guy who has slipped you can grab...in auctions all get a chance to bid on....

Love Auctions...once you do hard to go back.

You do need studs, but be ready to take advantage of deals......when they come grab them....

This year I see lots of good qb's...may be deepest I've seen....yes there are the top few...but that next tier is huge....
RB's so few one back offenses that i think you need a stud here....WR's love this batch...lots to choose from and pick your favorites......don't be afraid to reach here....last year I got m Williams (tb) and Dez cheap and made my team. For rookies in auctions $ allocation is the key....so prepare/prepare/prepare....then be ready to adjust!!

Welcome to Auctions!!
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions