need some quick help please!! whir - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

need some quick help please!! whir

Moderator: Football Moderators

need some quick help please!! whir

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am

Im in a 10 team (2 player keeper league, for 1 year max). we keep the player in whatever round the player was drafted last year. So far i have Nicks (5th round) and probably chris johnson (1st round). my draft pick is #8, so in the 2nd round #13, etc. I think Nicks is good value in round 5, but CJ is only average value late in round 1, so im trying to put together a trade for Vick who is great value as an 8th round keeper. The other owner said he'd trade Vick for Chris Johnson + a draft pick and we are going to talk later about which pick i need to add. I dont want to pay so much that i lose the value of having Vick in the 8th or i could just keep CJ in the 1st. But if i could come out ahead i'd like to add vick.

So my question for you FFB gurus is...whats the highest draft pick i should offer along with CJ for Vick? (i have an additional 9th round pick from a trade last season, i have to keep my 5th to keep Nicks, and i have to have an 8th to keep Vick)

thanks for any help! whir
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: need some quick help please!! whir

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 am

LSUby50 wrote:Im in a 10 team (2 player keeper league, for 1 year max). we keep the player in whatever round the player was drafted last year. So far i have Nicks (5th round) and probably chris johnson (1st round). my draft pick is #8, so in the 2nd round #13, etc. I think Nicks is good value in round 5, but CJ is only average value late in round 1, so im trying to put together a trade for Vick who is great value as an 8th round keeper. The other owner said he'd trade Vick for Chris Johnson + a draft pick and we are going to talk later about which pick i need to add. I dont want to pay so much that i lose the value of having Vick in the 8th or i could just keep CJ in the 1st. But if i could come out ahead i'd like to add vick.

So my question for you FFB gurus is...whats the highest draft pick i should offer along with CJ for Vick? (i have an additional 9th round pick from a trade last season, i have to keep my 5th to keep Nicks, and i have to have an 8th to keep Vick)

thanks for any help! whir

Trade advice involving draft picks becomes complicated. Does he feel that C. Johnson is with the 1st round pick but want compensation because Vick is worth more than an 8th or does he think he's getting poor value losing his 1st round pick as well? When you trade a pick in your league do you automatically get their last pick or are you allowed to trade your 3rd round pick for his 4th etc? I'd always try to do small gap trades for something like this. Last year I traded my 2nd round pick for the other guys 6th round pick to acquire Vick. Seeing how you'll lose your 5th and 8th maybe try something that would recoup those spots without taking to big of hit for top tier draft picks. I'd say giving up a 3rd round pick isn't unreasonable if you can get your 5th back or something near there.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 am

excellent points. i think he'd rather have CJ. He's drafting #7 overall so wont be able to get a player like CJ at that spot, but he sees that Vick is more valuable keeper based on the round. So he's looking for a compensation pick. Our league allows any type of trade, swapping rounds/picks/players/etc. and yes, you get the other team's last pick when you trade a pick.

my delimma is im already losing a 5th for Nicks, and id lose an 8th for Vick, and now will have to trade another pick away. If i could trade something lower than a 5th, id at least be able to round out my starting lineup before i start missing draft picks. Not sure if that would get it done. maybe i could trade down in the draft instead of totally losing a pick like you said.

my other thought was to offer something like CJ + my 1st round pick+ my extra 9th rounder for Vick + his 2nd round pick. Then he'd be able to keep CJ as his 1st and also get a 1st round pick #6 overall. That would leave me picking #13 and #14 which isnt too bad. and all id lose would be my extra 9th rounder. But I dont know if he'd go for that either.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

just heard from him and he mentioned CJ + a 4th round pick, i think thats a little steep and would nullify any advantage i got by aquiring a late round keeper since id be without a 4, 5, and 8th round pick.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 pm

LSUby50 wrote:just heard from him and he mentioned CJ + a 4th round pick, i think thats a little steep and would nullify any advantage i got by aquiring a late round keeper since id be without a 4, 5, and 8th round pick.

Either ask for his 5th or 8th back instead of getting his last or counter-offer with a lower round pick that you're more comfortable with. Make sure you explain why you're making a counter. I find often times people respond better when sound reasoning is provided.
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Good advice. thanks for your help!
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant