Help please with leagues! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Help please with leagues!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help please with leagues!

Postby fantasysheep314 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:39 am

So I have been having trouble in the past with my league and so have my friends with their leagues.

The problem: collecting fees from your league members. There is ALWAYS some people who just dont pay on time and it is very frustrating...

So I was wondering if there are any sites or services or SOMETHING that you guys use to make it easier for members to give their money on time. IDK, I just need some advice please.
fantasysheep314
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help please with leagues!

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 am

First of all, welcome to the Cafe! Good to see a fresh new face ;-D

I've also had trouble with this in the past (as most of us have, like you said), but I've found out recently that using PayPal helps to almost eliminate this problem. Give everyone a month's notice and let them send it in before your draft if possible without harassing them. Then, when you go from draft to waiting for the season to start, or an arbitrary date if your draft is the weekend before the season starts, etc., turn up the heat on the non-payers. The way to follow through on this and get people to pay? Lock their teams from all moves, preseason and during the season, until they pay. No pickups and roster moves until then, period. It's been nearly 100% for me since I've started doing it that way ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasysheep314 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback!

Some people may not like the whole PayPal thing though... Do you know of a site like PayPal where people can use their credit cards or e-checks or something?

I sorta wish there was something where they could choose paypal, credit card, or whichever way they want to pay. To get them to actually WANT to pay. Convenience for them=more players ya know?
fantasysheep314

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm

fantasysheep314 wrote:Thanks!

Some people may not like the whole PayPal thing though... Do you know of a site like PayPal where people can use their credit cards or e-checks or something?

I sorta wish there was something where they could choose paypal, credit card, or whichever way they want to pay. To get them to actually WANT to pay. Convenience for them=more players ya know?

PayPal has a number of ways it can draw funds, including from your personal checking account and credit/debit card - and the best part is, that as long as you exchange money as "gifts", you avoid losing small percentages of the pot by sending it one way and then another.

If people have serious reservations with PP or any other online method I always give them the option to send me a money order/cashier's check or personal check (if I know them personally), as long as they still meet the deadlines ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasysheep314 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 am

WaCougMBS wrote:
fantasysheep314 wrote:Thanks!

PayPal has a number of ways it can draw funds, including from your personal checking account and credit/debit card - and the best part is, that as long as you exchange money as "gifts", you avoid losing small percentages of the pot by sending it one way and then another.

If people have serious reservations with PP or any other online method I always give them the option to send me a money order/cashier's check or personal check (if I know them personally), as long as they still meet the deadlines ;-)

Ah those are all good suggestions and I definitely will use some of them! Thanks!

Also... my friend just gave me a link to this site: ( http://www.payitsquare.com/for-leagues/collect-money-for-a-fantasy-football-league.aspx ) he just sent me that and says he has been using it to collect the money online. Apparently its free to use... which is great! Its not a league manager, just like a place to collect the dues via the web. He also told me people can use PayPal or credit card, cash, check, etc.. I think I am going to give it a shot.
fantasysheep314

Postby glackk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:11 am

I highly recommend LeagueSafe. It was build specifically for the purpose you're describing. If I recall correctly, e-check is free to deposit money, credit cards are charged an extra 3% to deposit. The Commish decides how to divvy up the funds at the end of the season and you can have gift cards (like credit cards) mailed out to the winners. Everyone can look at the league site and see who has and hasn't paid.

If you look at the classified section of the cafe, a lot of the public leagues use LeagueSafe.

As for making sure people pay on time, I usually give managers to the first week of the season to pay. After that, I lock teams from making any roster moves until I receive payment.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby fantasysheep314 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 am

glackk wrote:I highly recommend LeagueSafe. It was build specifically for the purpose you're describing. If I recall correctly, e-check is free to deposit money, credit cards are charged an extra 3% to deposit. The Commish decides how to divvy up the funds at the end of the season and you can have gift cards (like credit cards) mailed out to the winners. Everyone can look at the league site and see who has and hasn't paid.

If you look at the classified section of the cafe, a lot of the public leagues use LeagueSafe.

As for making sure people pay on time, I usually give managers to the first week of the season to pay. After that, I lock teams from making any roster moves until I receive payment.

yeah, ive checked out the website. Im worried about my league members being worried about the funds being "locked in."

The cool thing about payitsquare.com is that the funds are never handled by anyone except the individuals themselves. There is no "locking" of payments. But leaguesafe is a cool website nonetheless.
fantasysheep314

Postby xbo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 pm

We require that every team pay their league fees PRIOR to the draft. No league fees, no draft (for them). They will need to fill their roster via the waiver wire AFTER they pay their fee
(btw, no team has EVER not paid their league fees).

We also require an upfront payment (PRIOR to the draft) that is equivalent to the cost of their first 10 waiver transactions (in our case $20 for 10 waiver transactions). Teams can pay even more in advance if they choose to do so (and most do).
And then, when teams reach $0 in their waiver account, they get blocked from making any further transactions until they replenish their account.

I believe that no team should ever have to wait for their winnings at the end of the season, so I am of the firm belief that a Fantasy Football Commissioner is strictly a manager of the league and NOT a bank/loan organization/collections dept.

Every team understands the rules, appreciates being paid promptly, and money is NEVER an issue.
xbo

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I can link you to a site to make napalm...?
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigmck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm

If you don't get the money before the draft, you only have yourself to blame. After the draft a persons incentive to pay goes way down.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum