A reach to take Rice at #1?? PPR league - JC Keeper - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

A reach to take Rice at #1?? PPR league - JC Keeper - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

A reach to take Rice at #1?? PPR league - JC Keeper - WHIR

Postby bounce » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm all over the place on this question. I drew the #1 pick in a keeper league, and have to decide between ADP, CJ2K, and Rice. I already have Charles as my keeper (I lose my 3rd rounder). McCoy and Foster are off the board. Here is my thinking on the three. Straighten me out on a pick.

AP -- Longest track record of stud numbers. Not as big of a PPR bump as the other guys. With McNabb about as accurate as Uncle Rico, and Harvin/Berrian as the only other 'threats,' he could be facing a lot of 8 man fronts. Of course...he always has.

CJ -- A down year last year (compared to his insane 2009), and is holding out. He's missing time in an already shortened camp, and could take a few games to get into a groove. Weakest team of the three.

RR -- Riskiest pick in name, but maybe the most safest pick. Best team, got a pro bowl FB, and lost his TD vulture in McGahee. But, I don't want to make a 'risky' pick at #1 overall, and be kicking myself when the other two guys are putting up top 2 numbers, like is expected.

In any case, I'm ok because I'll pair whoever with Charles and form a damn good backfield. The guy who has Foster picks at #3, so he's going to be some good competition. I can't risk the better guy slipping to him, and I don't want to overthink it.

Thoughts? Leave a link and I'll help!!
bounce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: A reach to take Rice at #1?? PPR league - JC Keeper - WH

Postby Indibuck » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:25 pm

With a #1 overall pick, I think you have to be able to count on top-5 production from your RB. He doesn't have to finish first, but he needs to finish top-5 to get an equitable return on your investment (since you don't get to pick again for a long time).

I think any of the three guys fit the bill. And I don't blame you for liking Rice here. I currently have him 4th behind Foster, AP, and CJ... but he could move up to 2nd for me before it's all said and done, for all the reasons you listed.

He's not a reach, even if a few in your league chuckle if you select him first. You're the one that's gotta live with the team you draft. And you make a sound argument for selecting Rice there. When in doubt, follow your instinct.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby Dragon63 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm

I am with you. I would keep Rice out of those 3 RBs.
Dragon63
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spyder0314 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 pm

im a bit of bias here but i got some good point as well. I would take CJ out of the 3. Dont get me wrong i think all 3 are all very solid choice so any of them will just do fine but if i get to pick one it would definitely cj. Hes a game changer and hes a lot like charles. He can pretty much outrun everyone with that speed and he avoid hit so no risk of injury
14 Team redraft non ppr yahoo 2Qb league

QB Newton
RB Lacy
RB Bernard
WR J Nelson
WR Michael floyd
TE Cameron
W/R M Brown
W/R/T Ivory
Q/W/R/T Luck
K Hartley
DB Landry
DL Ninkovich
LB E henderson
Bench: Jeffery, Eifert, C Michael, Pead, Henne, Dwyer
spyder0314
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Those About To Rock » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 am

CJ is in an absolutely amazing spot this year, Tennessee has done a lot to improve his situation. Big supporter of him here.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby DrDC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks for your help with mine.
Despite RR's great situation, I would still go AP here. To me, they are still in different tiers, even in a PPR. AP has the best moves and the best power/agility combo in the NFL. CJ is nice too, but the holdout has me worried.
DrDC
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions