Thoughts on Best.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Best....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Best....

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Whats the consensus on Jahvid Best going into this year? I am hearing he is finally healthy and over the turf toe that plagued him this year. I am expecting big things from the Detroit offense this year with Best being a major role in that. I know they drafted Leshoure but how much will he eat into Best's touches? I thnk he may be a bit overlooked on draft day and the kid has potential to be a breakout candidate this year...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Best....

Postby m16a » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

I think he's simply the Best. :-b

Alrighty, terribly awful puns aside, Best is a guy I like, but I'm unwilling to reach for. I'll take him if he falls to ADP, but seems to go a little before that in my experience. He's got a lot of bust potential given LeShoure and his hit/miss kinda running style. That said, I don't think he'll bust. Dude's a beast. He's an RB2, with good RB1 upside. I think he could finish top 10, but I don't know if he will. He's got a lot of talent, that's for darn sure.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Is that the Best you can do????? :-D

sorry.. I couldnt help myself with my own bad pun.... :-B
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 pm

petedog9 wrote:Whats the consensus on Jahvid Best going into this year? I am hearing he is finally healthy and over the turf toe that plagued him this year. I am expecting big things from the Detroit offense this year with Best being a major role in that. I know they drafted Leshoure but how much will he eat into Best's touches? I thnk he may be a bit overlooked on draft day and the kid has potential to be a breakout candidate this year...

I like Best. Not enough to buy high on him, but as a RB2 I think he'll meet your needs and them some.

Detroit in general I've bumped to the 'favored team' status this year, meaning not to avoid anyone there like the plague any more and start looking at them as upside. I think Detroit takes second in the Norris division this year. :-*
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Well as someone who got burned by Best last year after he more or less disappeared after the turf toe cropped up I will be cautious but he did show some potential in a game or two last year so I am not writing him off altogether. I would say he has a RB2 upside with a solid FLEX ranking. I doubt he cracks the top 15, nevermind the top 10.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:21 am

m16a wrote:Best is a guy I like, but I'm unwilling to reach for. I'll take him if he falls to ADP, but seems to go a little before that in my experience. He's got a lot of bust potential given LeShoure and his hit/miss kinda running style.

Bingo. Best has a boatload of potential, but injuries and the addition of Leshoure are two major issues.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thebigsmooth » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:15 am

scottaa1 wrote:
petedog9 wrote:Whats the consensus on Jahvid Best going into this year? I am hearing he is finally healthy and over the turf toe that plagued him this year. I am expecting big things from the Detroit offense this year with Best being a major role in that. I know they drafted Leshoure but how much will he eat into Best's touches? I thnk he may be a bit overlooked on draft day and the kid has potential to be a breakout candidate this year...

I like Best. Not enough to buy high on him, but as a RB2 I think he'll meet your needs and them some.

Detroit in general I've bumped to the 'favored team' status this year, meaning not to avoid anyone there like the plague any more and start looking at them as upside. I think Detroit takes second in the Norris division this year. :-*

I'll take my Best shot at this: ;-D

First of all I like Best but I won't reach for him. I see him as a potentially Reggie Bush lite. He is a homerun hitter and can catch the ball (PPR) but I don't see him being able to go between the tackles. Leshoure is a good pick and should take away some touches especially in the redzone. I believe turf toe usually takes a year to get better so I assume that won't be much of an issue. I had him on my team last year and enjoyed his 2 big games. However, with the injury he was very inconsistent. I hope that isn't the case this year. IF it is a PPR league I would target him as a RB2 and a steal at RB3. He has potential to perform as a RB1 but consistency issues scare me.
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm not willing to bash him too much for the injuries, turf toe is a tough thing to battle though but it's not like he was missing games, the guy played he was just obviously hampered. Unlike most, I think LeShoure helps his value, makes it easier for him to do what he does best. Little known but Best had the best week for a fantasy RB last year in week 2. No other fantasy RB could top that. That's the type of potential he provides, with Stafford, and more weapons on the offense to open things up, he'll still be a big homerun hitter.

I think he's a great guy to wait on, definately a homerun pick and is getting undervalued a bit this off-season. He's the better, more explosive player out of him and LeShoure, it's just LeShoure is going to get goal line carries and some short yardage stuff, but it still never slowed down CJ2K2 when he had Lendale getting double digit TD's.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm

I am cautiously optimist on Jahvid's chances, I really think his Best is yet to come.

That lame pun said, he absolutely must prove he can stay healthy, something he has never been able to do in advanced levels of football. The Addition of LeShoure could eat away at chances if he can have success as more of a power back. My thoughts are that should the Lions have a lead, they could turn more to LeShoure than use a higher risk play set that favors Best's skill set. For that reason I also find the asking price a tad too high.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 pm

the potential is there if he can stay healthy, but i think they'll mix in a heavy dose of LeShoure, especially late in games where they want to kill the clock
i'll be more likely to target LeShoure than Best
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk