Draft help in a QB heavy league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Draft help in a QB heavy league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft help in a QB heavy league

Postby gvi003 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:51 am

I'm in a 10 team PPR, IDP league at work that has very favorable scoring for QBs. I did a little research with 2010 stats and Peyton Manning would've scored 551 for the season with this scoring. For comparison Arian Foster would've scored 432.

With QBs so heavily weighted it dynamically changes the draft order no? We start only 1 QB, but I'm seriously thinking about trying to grab 2 of Rodgers, Brees, Vick, Manning, Brady, Romo, Rivers. I know I'm going to sacrifice probably at RB because of this. The second QB would be mostly for trade bait.

any advice?
gvi003
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft help in a QB heavy league

Postby Venom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:57 am

I wouldn't go that far.

I'd probably spring for a top 5-6, if scoring does indeed favor them.

Taking 2 in the frst two rounds is going to kill the rest of your team, especially since you don't actually start two. I know you want to draft one as trade bait, but if no one bites, then guess what? You lose. The season. I'd go RB, and then QB. Unless there is a huge run on them, you will be assured one of the top 6.

Rodgers
Vick
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Manning
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby gvi003 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:02 am

I was thinking more like 1 & 4th rounds on QBs. But with such skewed scoring it seems like Rodgers should almost be the number 1 overall pick. What would be the earliest you'd pick a QB in the 1st?
gvi003
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:00 am

Run the data again using your scoring and then take a look at the differential between QBs. Probably, you are going to see some tiering with little game to game differential vs the tops QBs and the second tier QBs.

So, I would probably take a QB in the 1st round and then take my second QB(with a different Bye Week) in the 4th round. You might also find some even later round high upside gems like Cassel or Bradford and for the gambler, Cam Newton gulp, in even later rounds.

One last thought... is what kind of league is this? If this is a Dynasty or Keeper league, you will want to make sure your top QB is not on his way down, or out and a couple of younger QBs taken in rounds 2 and 3 like Schaub/Cassel or Bradford/Stafford or even Flacco if he is still around might be a cool way to outfox everyone else while you take someone like Foster/CJ/ADP or AJ with your first pick?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ben jammin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 am

If you are drafting in the first 4-5 spots I would suggest running back. Later in the round I may go QB and still come back with a decent RB. If you get a RB in the first, you should still be able to get someone like Rivers. I am expecting him to have a really good year. I am targeting him in one of my money leagues this year. I as well would not draft a second QB early for trade bait. That would definately hinder you at another starting position. Good luck with your season.
ben jammin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions