12 Team League - Playoff Format Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

12 Team League - Playoff Format Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 Team League - Playoff Format Question

Postby chargersdiehard » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:23 am

Our league is broken into two conferences with two divisions in each conference. In other words, 3 teams in a division (4 in total) and 6 teams in a conference (2 in total). Our playoff system last year lead to major problems so I am looking at modifying it. In the regular season everyone plays there division teams twice and all other teams once. Playoff begin in Week 14.

In this option all teams will play a week 14 game. Here is my thinking:

Playoffs Wk 1 -
Game #1 - Conference #1 Seed #6 vs Conference #1 Seed #3
Game #2 - Conference #1 Seed #4 vs Conference #1 Seed #5
Game #3 - Conference #2 Seed #6 vs Conference #2 Seed #3
Game #4 - Conference #2 Seed #4 vs Conference #2 Seed #5
The top 2 teams in each conference receive a bye.

Playoffs Wk 2 -
Game #5 - Game #1 winner vs Conference #1 Seed #1
Game #6 - Game #2 winner vs Conference #1 Seed #2
Game #7 - Game #3 winner vs Conference #2 Seed #1
Game #8 - Game #4 winner vs Conference #2 Seed #2

Playoffs Wk 3 -
Game #9 - Game #5 winner vs Game #6 winner (Conference #1 Championship Game)
Game #10 - Game #7 winner vs Game #8 winner (Conference #2 Championship Game)

Playoffs Wk 4 -
Game #11 - Game #9 winner vs Game #10 winner (Super Bowl Champion)

Please share your thoughts, suggestions, and ideas.

Thanks.
chargersdiehard
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12 Team League - Playoff Format Question

Postby Cards24 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm

My thoughts, Doesn't mean its bad or wrong just not my liking...

First of all, get rid the of Conferences. Unless you are running at least 18 teams you don't need them. Go to three divisions, 4 teams per division. That enables you to have a 14 week schedule - Every team plays inter-division twice and everyone else once.

Second, in a 12 team league you have way too many teams making the post season. We run 12 teams and only have 4 in the Big Championship Bracket (for the big money). Division Champions (3), plus the team with the highest record (make sure you have good tie breakers, ie. h2h, points for, points against, etc.). That way your playoffs extend only until to week 16. Week 17 benches have no implications on the big game.

Third, some might disagree with me here but from my experience playoffs don't work in the fantasy football settings. If you want to get more teams involve in the post season go to a bowl system (that's what we use). You still have the Championship game as explained above and then you can add a "Toilet Bowl" for teams seeded 5-8. You want to get everyone involve add a "Losers Bowl" for teams seeded 9-12.

Good luck and free to pm with any questions.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby chargersdiehard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for your comments. I like the longer season aspect of the second choice. One of the big complaints was only 13 weeks in the regular season. I just took this league over so there is a lot that I'm trying to accomplish in a short period of time so I may just leave everything like it is this year (with the conferences and all) and then make sweeping changes next year. I have 8 new owners this year and just trying to get all the off-season stuff handled has been a pain (tagging players, contract extensions, etc.) so the less I mess with set-up stuff the better off I maybe.
chargersdiehard
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chargersdiehard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks Cards24. After much going back and forth with your comments I have proposed and the owners have agreed with your 3rd option. We are creating a bowl series for the playoff system. That way all teams get to play more games. Would have never come up with that on my own. Thanks again.
chargersdiehard
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cards24 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Chargers check your pm
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Casual league here so to some we do put to many folks into the playoffs but that is the beauty of the game, to each their own.

here's our approach for your consideration (always nice to have several perspectives, ours is a combination of approaches read on this board 4-5 years ago).

12 teams 3 divisions.
13 week season 3 week playoffs and an "Aloha Bowl" in week 17

3 Division winners and 3 wild-cards make the playoffs
3 wild cards are:
(2) remaining teams with the best w % (we have some pretty well defined tie breakers, which I am happy to share if anyone is interested due to a lot of multi-team ties in the early years of our league)
(1) The remaining team having highest point total over the course of the season. Typically the remaining teams are either at or below .500 so total points seems like a good way to reward a team that is clearly stronger than the rest but apparently had some bad luck match-up wise. A couple of times the team that took this spot was 2nd or 3rd overall in points scored but had an abysmall 6-7 record as their opponents tended to have their highest scoring game of the season against these guys.

Week 14 the (1) and (2) seeds have a bye and the championship is in week 16. Yeah I am not real keen on the idea of a bye in fantasy football but it is what it is.

The toilet bowl runs in a similar fashion for the other half of the league.

Week 17 is our "Aloha" bowl and due to the benching's etc. it is pretty much a crap shoot (we freeze rosters following week 16) and the starting line-up scoring the most points in week 17 wins cash equivalent to their entry fee.

That's our approach we like it, perhaps there are some things you can use in that. Good luck this season.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigmck » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm

If your 12-team league is a money league, then four in the playoffs is OK. If it is a fun league, then let six make the playoffs. It is all about fun, not money. Let the top two teams get a bye in week one and the other four play in week one. As was said before, you don't need Conferences and three divisions of four teams works. I don't like using week 17 in the playoffs due to NFL teams sitting their better players. I use a 13 week schedule. Each division team plays each other twice and seven of the eight remaining teams. It is not a perfect Round Robin schedule, but neither in is the NFL.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

After a couple years of the top 3 teams being in the same 4 team division (and one missing the playoffs) we went to 2 6 team divisions. While it caused some scheduling difficulty (you only play 3/6 teams in the other division) it allowed the best teams to make the playoffs.

Non playoff teams play for an aggregate total over those weeks for draft order.

Week 17 is meaningless, except for total points (a small portion of our prize money) and a penalty of having to buy beer for the next draft
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Eric21ND » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Cards24 wrote:My thoughts, Doesn't mean its bad or wrong just not my liking...

First of all, get rid the of Conferences. Unless you are running at least 18 teams you don't need them. Go to three divisions, 4 teams per division. That enables you to have a 14 week schedule - Every team plays inter-division twice and everyone else once.

Second, in a 12 team league you have way too many teams making the post season. We run 12 teams and only have 4 in the Big Championship Bracket (for the big money). Division Champions (3), plus the team with the highest record (make sure you have good tie breakers, ie. h2h, points for, points against, etc.). That way your playoffs extend only until to week 16. Week 17 benches have no implications on the big game.

Third, some might disagree with me here but from my experience playoffs don't work in the fantasy football settings. If you want to get more teams involve in the post season go to a bowl system (that's what we use). You still have the Championship game as explained above and then you can add a "Toilet Bowl" for teams seeded 5-8. You want to get everyone involve add a "Losers Bowl" for teams seeded 9-12.

Good luck and free to pm with any questions.

How do you do a bowl system on Yahoo?
Eric21ND
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Cards24 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

I don't think you can but its been over 12 years since I have used Yahoo, same with CBS. We use http://www.myfantasyleague.com/
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner