Top Tier WR or Middle Tier RB next? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Top Tier WR or Middle Tier RB next?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top Tier WR or Middle Tier RB next?

Postby Funkymonkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi all! I realize my post is long, but please take a minute to read it all and help out. Much appreciated! =)

I'm in an 8 team PPR league with the following scoring settings:

1 pt per 20 yards rushing/receiving
6 pts per TD
0.25 pts per reception

We start: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, Def

My roster thus far:

Arian Foster RB, Roddy White WR, Calvin Johnson WR.

Next best RBs available (by Yahoo's ranks): Shonne Green, Matt Forte, Ahmad Bradshaw, Steven Jackson, Peyton Hillis

Next best WRs available (by Yahoo's ranks): Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Mike Williams, Desean Jackson

My question is:

Given that we start 2 RBs and 3 WRs, Should I grab one of the top tier WRs left or do I grab one of the middle tier RBs instead?

If I go RB, I'm thinking Steven Jackson or Peyton Hillis. If I go WR, I'm thinking Greg Jennings.

Everyone I talk to seems pretty down on Jackson (getting older/slower) and Hillis (hit a wall last year, crowded backfield this year), while there is much love for Jennings (seen him rated as high as the #3 WR). I had Jennings on my squad last year and he was a monster so I am leaning towards drafting him again. However, if I pass on Jackson/ Hillis this pick, I will be looking at a RB2 in the range of Blount/Mathews/Williams/Moreno/Best down the line.

I've always been an RB drafter, but there is something to be said about fielding 3 absolute WR studs in White, Megatron, and Jennings.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Funkymonkey
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Top Tier WR or Middle Tier RB next?

Postby bungle613 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

I would draft the guys in this order...

SJax
Forte
Jennings
Wayne
Wallace

I know it is only an 8 teamer but getting White and CJ along with Foster and eith SJax or Forte is a great start to your season.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 pm

bungle613 wrote:I would draft the guys in this order...

SJax
Forte
Jennings
Wayne
Wallace

I know it is only an 8 teamer but getting White and CJ along with Foster and eith SJax or Forte is a great start to your season.

Pretty close to being on board with this list, but I have one edit and one addition to make it "mine":

Forte/SJax

VJax
Wayne

Jennings
Wallace
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Funkymonkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for the responses!

I think looking at the likes of Jennings and V Jackson to round out my WR corp intrigues me, though it will hurt my stable of RBs.

A few questions I hope you guys can share your opinions on:

1) You both put RBs at the top of the draft list, so is RB the way for me to go now? I'm passing on QB for a while because the top 6 were already taken in the first 3 rounds, so i can wait.

2) You both put Jackson ~ Forte. Being this is a keepers league (I'm new to the league, so I didn't have any keepers but will get to keep 2 for next year), does that change this any? Does that put any of the other RBs listed above in the mix (esp Bradshaw, Hillis)?
Funkymonkey
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Funkymonkey wrote:Thanks for the responses!

I think looking at the likes of Jennings and V Jackson to round out my WR corp intrigues me, though it will hurt my stable of RBs.

A few questions I hope you guys can share your opinions on:

1) You both put RBs at the top of the draft list, so is RB the way for me to go now? I'm passing on QB for a while because the top 6 were already taken in the first 3 rounds, so i can wait.

2) You both put Jackson ~ Forte. Being this is a keepers league (I'm new to the league, so I didn't have any keepers but will get to keep 2 for next year), does that change this any? Does that put any of the other RBs listed above in the mix (esp Bradshaw, Hillis)?

That's the main reason I put Forte in a tie with Jackson, maybe by a hair ahead. I still see Jackson possibly outperforming Forte this year, but I think they're close and I like Forte more down the road, so with a gun to my head he's the choice.

Bradshaw, Hilllis and Co. are in a different tier for sure, so I think it's one of those two backs or Jackson, but I by far favor the RB in this spot and think go with your gut between Forte and SJax ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedrizzle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

I think you're on the right track with Jennings. If you watch the Packers play you can see that Jennings is often completely wide open down the sideline for a long game. This can be attributed to the great offensive system they have in place in Green Bay. That is how a guy like Jennings (who lacks elite talent) can be a week in week out stud and be so consistent. For your next pick I would definitely go with Blount. I feel very strongly about this guy, as he was an absolute beast after he became the lead back for Tamba Bay last year. Mendenhall was in a similar situation last year having done it for only half a year, and I took him in the second round and ended up loving him. For your second running back I suggest one of the rookies: Ingram or Daniel Thomas, Ingram is an elite talent that the Saints have been waiting for and Thomas is in an ideal situation since he's competing with only the terrible Reggie Bush. Not that Ingram has much talent to compete against either.
thedrizzle
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby thedrizzle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 pm

looking at your post again I'd say you need to steer clear of Shonn Greene and Peyton Hillis.
thedrizzle
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Funkymonkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for the input!

My thought to take Jennings has hit a snag in that I'm trying to minimize bye week overlaps since the players I have already all have different bye weeks (as opposed to stacking them all in 1 week). With that in mind, Jennings has the same bye week as White, so I think this may be a sign for me to go the RB route.

That said, I'm really stuck between Jackson and Forte. Both should be in improving offenses. Forte has the youth but Jackson seems to be a bigger part of the offense. Both played all 16 games, but Jackson got 93 more carries than Forte did last year while only catching 5 fewer passes. Of course, his ypc was 0.7 less and he is older, but I'm thinking neither of these fellows will end up being a keeper for me (fingers crossed that Megatron totally explodes this year with a healthy Stafford) so I'm tempted to go for 2011 production > keeper status. Does that mean Jackson > Forte (who, btw, has the same bye week as White and Jennings)?

Am I off thinking that way?
Funkymonkey
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ben jammin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Being that you have Foster, I am assuming that you picked 1,2 or 3 and your next two picks in round 4and 5 should be relatively close together. On the way back to your pick in round 4, stop and see what the guy behind you is looking for. If he has stocked up on RB's he may be looking for a WR or two before it gets back to you. If that is the case I would pick a third stud WR and get a RB in the 5th. If he needs RB's then you get the top back out there and you still get one of those big WR's out there. Good Luck on the season. As far as the bye weeks go, I would go with best player available and take a hit that one week. Just my two cents.
ben jammin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions