Who is #6? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who is #6?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is #6?

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 am

It's my first year in a competitive keeper league (We keep 2) and I have the 6th pick. I also haven't played competitively in a couple of years. My league scoring (for QB/RB/WR/TE):

QB - start 1
25yards =1pt
TDpass=6pts
INT=-2pts
2PC=2pts
Sack=-1pt

RB - start 2 (or 3 if Flex is used on RB)
1 yard=.1pts
TDrun/catch=6pts
2PC=2pts

WR/TE - start 3 WR, 4 if Flex is used on WR/start 1 TE
1yard=.1pts
TDcatch=6pts
2PC=2pts
PPR=.5pts

I have the 6th pick in the draft. Apparently, the first 5 picks will be: AP, Foster, Rice, Vick, then likely the best RB available goes #5 (not sure if that's C.Johnson/Charles/MJD/McCoy). After that, I'm up. My possibilities:
1.) Go for the best QB available, Aaron Rodgers. He projects to the score the most points in the league this year and, in a keeper, is a steady guy to have.
2.) Go with the RB. Johnson and Charles are a step above the likes of MJD/McCoy IMO, but I'm not 100% sure.
3.) Go with the best receiver in the draft. This is an unlikely route for me, but I figured to write it anyway. Andre Johnson and Roddy White are the 2 WR's and we need at least 3 WR's starting.
Fantasy GM
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who is #6?

Postby Those About To Rock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:17 am

You have to take the best RB available.

McCoy has Ronnie Brown backing him, taking some of his precious touches -- especially goal line. In addition to a possible DJax, Smith, Maclin WR corps and Vick at the helm -- he's just not going to be as productive as you'd like. MJD is older with a bum knee -- avoid avoid

Charles and Johnson are both excellent choices, CJ2k being the better of the two.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks. Curious as to why a RB is strongly preferred. Not that I disagree, just figuring out why CJ2K/Charles > Rodgers or Andre.

My only concern with CJ2K is this holdout situation. Missing significant camp time could hurt him early in the season (like Darrelle Revis last year). Charles is really good as well, but will he get enough touches w/ Thomas Jones in the backfield as well (Haley seems to like the platoon)?

I will probably take 1 of the 2 because, like you said, the depth goes way down afterward. McCoy is down in my rankings for the reasons you said, and MJD doesn't seem quite as explosive as he used to be.
Fantasy GM
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Those About To Rock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 am

The difference between tier1 QB and tier2 QB is not as big a point gap as it is for RBs. There is also a lot of depth available for QBs -- Brady, Vick, Brees, Ryan, Rivers, Rodgers, Romo, Schaub...and you only need 1 (well, someone for bye weeks and bad matchups...) unlike RBs where you need 2 to start and a solid backup.

Even for other QBs, you have people like Flacco and Big Ben and Eli and...I mean, so much depth.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 am

Those About To Rock wrote:The difference between tier1 QB and tier2 QB is not as big a point gap as it is for RBs. There is also a lot of depth available for QBs -- Brady, Vick, Brees, Ryan, Rivers, Rodgers, Romo, Schaub...and you only need 1 (well, someone for bye weeks and bad matchups...) unlike RBs where you need 2 to start and a solid backup.

Even for other QBs, you have people like Flacco and Big Ben and Eli and...I mean, so much depth.

Exactly, positional scarcity. YOu need 1 QB but up to 3 RB's. Start drafting them early. I would absolutely take a RB with those options you mentioned at 6.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions