help picking a bye week/back up QB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

help picking a bye week/back up QB

Moderator: Football Moderators

help picking a bye week/back up QB

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Waited til last couple rounds to get a backup QB. My Starter is Brees ( Bye - week 11)

My ONLY 2 choises are:

McNabb - Vikes play at oakland week 11
R. Fitxpatrick - Bills play at Miami week 11
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: help picking a bye week/back up QB

Postby Those About To Rock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Dolphins had the #6 defense last year, and they've probably only improved. Smith is a good and Davis is a great DB.

That said, I think your better bet is gambling on McNabb. Oakland lost their black curtain, probably a better matchup. Just watch it as the season develops.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby latraffic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Here's what I think. You're an experienced FFB dude. Week 11 is a LONG way down the road. Why not use that slot for a better sleeper RB or WR for now and then if a QB rolls around that's showing promise, grab him off the wire to use week 11. Lots of QBs will hit the wire between now and then as well. I say, don't waste the bench space so early with either of those duds and gamble a little. Someone will be available between now and then.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Those About To Rock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:49 pm

latraffic wrote:Here's what I think. You're an experienced FFB dude. Week 11 is a LONG way down the road. Why not use that slot for a better sleeper RB or WR for now and then if a QB rolls around that's showing promise, grab him off the wire to use week 11. Lots of QBs will hit the wire between now and then as well. I say, don't waste the bench space so early with either of those duds and gamble a little. Someone will be available between now and then.

I find a surprising number of people do keep a backup QB. IF I pick up a backup QB, it's because too much value exists in the very last round of the draft. Of course, last season guys had M. Ryan and D. Brees as their backups in some cases o.O (behind P. Manning and M. Vick respectively)
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm

I would definitely use that pick on someone who is of some value earlier on. As someone said, week 11 is a long way away, and I guarantee you can find someone who will either be hot or playing a good matchup that doesn't have to sit on your bench the entire season with no chance to ever start besides that one week.
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby latraffic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Those About To Rock wrote:
latraffic wrote:Here's what I think. You're an experienced FFB dude. Week 11 is a LONG way down the road. Why not use that slot for a better sleeper RB or WR for now and then if a QB rolls around that's showing promise, grab him off the wire to use week 11. Lots of QBs will hit the wire between now and then as well. I say, don't waste the bench space so early with either of those duds and gamble a little. Someone will be available between now and then.

I find a surprising number of people do keep a backup QB. IF I pick up a backup QB, it's because too much value exists in the very last round of the draft. Of course, last season guys had M. Ryan and D. Brees as their backups in some cases o.O (behind P. Manning and M. Vick respectively)

That's fair. But he's talking about using a spot for McNabb or Fitxpatrick. I wouldn't carry those 2 for 11 weeks. I would be confident I could still find them on waivers mid-season if need be.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am

latraffic wrote:
Those About To Rock wrote:

That's fair. But he's talking about using a spot for McNabb or Fitxpatrick. I wouldn't carry those 2 for 11 weeks. I would be confident I could still find them on waivers mid-season if need be.

It's a solid point LA. It is a risk as well. I like Fitz alot as a cheap QB2 this year but I like your strategy on this. If tehre is nothing intriguing ont he wire I would grab FItz but also be willing to cut him for a hot WW pickup.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FantasyImpactDude » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 am

Don't get a backup QB, simply put.

Unless your QB goes down, keep ONLY one QB on your team. When it's his bye week, guys like I mention below should be available to pick up for one week to get you a solid 10-15 fantasy points for that week. Meanwhile, WR/RB are a lot more inconsistant that QBs, meaning one of your guys could easily bust, but it also means a guy you draft in the 13th round could explode to unreal scores. That why I don't waste any last round draft picks (except the last two; D/ST and K) on anything other than RB/WR. It's just that simple.

If you are in a ten team league, AT LEAST Sanchez, McNabb, Newton, Orton, and Garrard are all there, just to name a few. Any of these guys could turn into solid fantasy starters if your QB goes down.

Just my thoughts.
Draft September 2nd! Last Year 2nd Place 9-4-1 in regular season
FantasyImpactDude
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions