Got the 6th pick in a 12 team league. What should I expect? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Got the 6th pick in a 12 team league. What should I expect?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Got the 6th pick in a 12 team league. What should I expect?

Postby riotide » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

I have the 6th pick in a 12 team league. The league is non-PPR, standard ESPN scoring but QBs get 6 points per TD instead of 4.

I've done a few mocks, but it's so hard to predict what people are going to do. I've seen all sorts of players there at my slot including Charles, Vick, CJ, Andre Johnson, Lesean McCoy, and Ray Rice. Out of these guys who should I be targeting and in what order? I'll definitely jump on CJ or Charles if they are still there, but after that I'm clueless. Also assuming I land a RB in round 1 am I all but locked into taking a WR like Fitz in round 2? If I take Andre what RB's should I try and grab in Round 2?

Any advice at all on what I can expect from this slot would be VERY appreciated, and I WHIR if possible.

Thanks!
riotide
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Got the 6th pick in a 12 team league. What should I expe

Postby latraffic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:08 pm

First off, welcome to the Cafe. :-)

1st round, 6th pick should still get you a good RB. And, just to get this clear, if you want to win championships you have got make the RBs the core of your team. I've tried every which way over the years and the results are the same, teams with good RBs win.

So, who might that be? If you're in an experienced league, you'll be left with McCoy, McFadden, Turner caliber. All great #1 RBs. If you are lucky and have a rookie drafting, you might see a QB or WR go ahead of you and land Charles or Rice even. Regardless, get a solid #1RB on your squad.

2nd round, gotta go on the hunt for a second RB. Don't get tempted to grab a WR or (heaven forbid) a QB yet. Sitting where you are, probably can nail down a Moreno, Hillis, Green-Ellis quality back. Great for your #2 RB.

3rd round, now for the #1 WR. There should still be a few out there unless you're drafting with knuckleheads who all want names over quality. When I mocked it this morning, I still found Wayne, Bowe or Marshall on the board in the 3rd.

And so it goes... my league plays with a WR/RB flex so I make round 4 my decision round -- best available of either cat.

I actually have been waiting until 8th and 9th rounds for QBs over the last few seasons and have done fine. In today's mock, I got Schaub or Sanchez in the 9th.

Keep doing the mock drafts. Keep playing with ideas. But in the end, you cannot go wrong thinking RB first.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby riotide » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't say the guys I'm playing with are experts by any means, so it's hard to say who will be there and who will not. I'll mess around with your strategy and see what happens. Thanks again!
riotide
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 pm

1. AP
2. Rice
3. Foster
4. CJ
5. Charles
6. McCoy

In MY opinion these are the top 6 guys, and you could move them around a little bit but again this is just who I like in the order I like them. Obviously you could get any of them, so I wouldn't worry, because I would take one of these 6. You will be satisfied with any one of these 6, so just sit back and let the draft unfold.
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby shmity72 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:22 am

same dilema...i draft 6th and am not high on mccoy. would i be crazy to go for aaron rogers here?

seriously, shmity72
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)

Postby fuzzeemonkey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:09 am

shmity72 wrote:same dilema...i draft 6th and am not high on mccoy. would i be crazy to go for aaron rogers here?

seriously, shmity72

There are a few high quality RB's available at 6th even after the top 5 are gone. As someone stated earlier the likes of McFadden and Turner should be on the board as well as McCoy. Sometimes you take the best player (McCoy) and work out a trade when your draft is done if you know someone else is high on him. GL!
fuzzeemonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby shmity72 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 am

thank you for response. ronnie brown makes me itchy in philly though...not too high on mccoy. ummmmaybe mcfadden who knows ?
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)