Strategy for 6-point QB TD league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Strategy for 6-point QB TD league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy for 6-point QB TD league?

Postby PokeyReese » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:19 am

What should be the strategy for a league where QBs get 6 points for TD passes, 1 point for every 25 passing yards and 5 points upon reaching 300 passing yards? Interceptions are -2.

Oh, and WRs aren't given any points per reception.

We start only 1 QB. To me, this point system makes landing one of Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Vick, Manning or Rivers a priority to have a shot in this league because it seems to be so QB heavy. I do not want to try to change our scoring because I am the new guy in the league, and I do not want to leave the league as it is a bunch of local guys in it, which makes it fun.

Bottom line, is this the type of league where you do draft the QB in the first round instead of the RB, or do you still worry about getting the RB first? That seems scary to me because if you do get stuck with a QB outside of that group, you are screwed from the start -- the top QBs end up with 400+ points in this system at the end of the year, and others in tiers below could be at just 200-300 points. Anyway, would like to hear any advice on how to handle a league such as this. Thanks.
PokeyReese
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy for 6-point QB TD league?

Postby Chicago 2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:59 am

PokeyReese wrote:What should be the strategy for a league where QBs get 6 points for TD passes, 1 point for every 25 passing yards and 5 points upon reaching 300 passing yards? Interceptions are -2.

Oh, and WRs aren't given any points per reception.

We start only 1 QB. To me, this point system makes landing one of Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Vick, Manning or Rivers a priority to have a shot in this league because it seems to be so QB heavy. I do not want to try to change our scoring because I am the new guy in the league, and I do not want to leave the league as it is a bunch of local guys in it, which makes it fun.

Bottom line, is this the type of league where you do draft the QB in the first round instead of the RB, or do you still worry about getting the RB first? That seems scary to me because if you do get stuck with a QB outside of that group, you are screwed from the start -- the top QBs end up with 400+ points in this system at the end of the year, and others in tiers below could be at just 200-300 points. Anyway, would like to hear any advice on how to handle a league such as this. Thanks.

The additional 5 points for reaching 300 yards isn't really enough that I would select a QB early. Players don't throw for 300+ yards as often as you'd expect, I was looking at the game logs for the top guys and they maybe reached that number bout 5 times. The only QB I would consider round 1 even with the bonus points is Vick. He is essentially a QB and RB and put up impressive stats while missing 4 games last year.

Both Eli Manning and Matt Schaub both topped 4000 yards passing last year and reached the 300 mark just as many times and are available in rounds 5-7, I would wait.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Yea I would really consider taking a QB, but not just any QB. The extra 2 points is nice but it doesn't change everything drastically. What is your draft pick?
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby latraffic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Chicago 2 is giving you solid advice. Your league isn't any more QB heavy than most, unless RB and such get LESS points per TD, yardage, etc. No QB is really worth an early draft pick. If you're picking 7th place and on, then maybe worth grabbing Rodgers. It's just so easy in this current heavy QB climate to get quality in later rounds.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 am

I have almost this exact same league settings. But we get 1 point for 50yds passing. No PPR. We only start one RB, and no flex, which I think is a little less common.

What do you guys think of that. I'm 10th in a 12 team league. I was thinking I could probably get a decent QB on the Round 2 wrap, but not sure who to take at 10.
12 team, QB,RB,WR,WR,TE,K,DEF.
No PPR. Bonus points for 100 rush/rec and 300 passing.
bobs_auto
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Beginner's Forum