Convince me to take RB with #6 pick.12 team Redraft WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Convince me to take RB with #6 pick.12 team Redraft WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby iloveny18 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:13 am

Have the #6 overall pick in a league 12 team Re-draft. .75 PPR 6pts for all TDs TDs. Plus yardage bonuses. Starting 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex

Assuming it will go A.P./CJ/Foster/Charles, then probably Rice, i'll be mostly likely stuck with Mccoy as the best RB available. I know that one big key to winning FF is to grab RB, but imo, a similar guy that can put up around the same points as Mccoy could probably be gotten in round 2. Plus it seems like the "upper-tier but not elite" RBs (picks 3-6) the past few years have burned people.

I have gotten over the Vick #1 overall talk and decided to stay away from drafting QB, so it looks like I could consider AJ.
So what do you think? I'd like to have RB, but looks like WR is the safest choice rather then RB with that draft position.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Convince me to take RB with #6 pick.12 team Redraft WHIR

Postby futureprodigy88 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:37 am

You could go with McCoy or MJD and hope that Calvin Johnson and Roddy White get to the middle of the 2nd round. If you pick up Andre Johnson you wont get a tier 1 or 2 RB in the second round. But if you get a RB in the 1st round your almost guarnteed a Tier 1 or 2 WR in the the second round.

You can get one of the following Top 8 WRs in the second round:

Hackeem Nicks
Roddy White
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Greg Jennings
Vincent Jackson

Answer My Question:

viewtopic.php?t=491597
futureprodigy88
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 8)

Postby chapo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:46 am

I agree, take a RB at #6 and then a WR and there is even a chance you can get a Charles or Ray Rice if some owner gets Vick at 5, but if it goes the way you said you get the following scenarios:

A) McCoy and and Nick/GJennings
B)AJ and Forte/Blount/McFadden

I personally prefer the MCoy and Nicks tandem vs say AJ and Forte.

GO RB!!
chapo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:47 am

Go with McCoy. I'll take a very good RB on an explosive team who will have lots of goal line opportunities any day
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby murphysxm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Stuck with McCoy? Dude caught over 75 balls last year. I am on record that I think he is top 3 in PPR this year.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby JC.89 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 pm

iloveny18 wrote:I know that one big key to winning FF is to grab RB

You can't have complete slobs at the RB position, but going RB early is hardly the key to success. In non-PPR leagues? Yes, you need RB's because of how much they touch the ball. But in PPR leagues, you're only hurting yourself by not grabbing an elite WR or QB if you're at the back end of the draft.

McCoy is a great option who I can't recommend enough, but if you aren't comfortable with him, grab a Calvin Johnson or Roddy White instead.
JC.89
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 am

you all make pretty good points. But what about the fact that those RB's that are drafted 4-6 overall don't end up in that position the following year? 2008 with Addai, Westbrook. 09 - Forte and D-Will , and last year Turner and Gore.
Grabbing a top WR in the 2nd will be tough since WRs get drafted more often in the end of the 1st early 2nd. In doing some mock drafts, it seems like the value picks that fall to me will be RB's. It seems like if I take RB in the 1st, i'll end up with 4 RBs with my first 4 picks (don't really like the 3rd-4th round WRs). So, it's either the 6th best RB and the 8th best WR, or the #1 WR and the 12th best RB (who's still a RB #1 imo)

Still need some convincing.....
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby saemick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:30 am

Personally, I'd go with McCoy as well. look at it this way, IF you had the 5th pick, you'd be happy with Charles/Rice, right? Well, there's a decent chance that McCoy outperforms both of them... So, assuming you would have grabbed Charles/Rice @ 5, you'd have the same problem at WR in the 2nd round as you would if you pick McCoy @ 6, just 1 spot later.

My point; I'd still go with the stud RB at 6, then pair him with 1 of:
Calvin
Roddy
Nicks
Fitz
Jennings

1 of those guys will fall to you... and if they don't, it means another top RB will be available and you can get a WR in the 3rd & 4th who can definitely be a good WR1&2 for you.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=491725
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

Postby iloveny18 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 am

saemick wrote:Personally, I'd go with McCoy as well. look at it this way, IF you had the 5th pick, you'd be happy with Charles/Rice, right? Well, there's a decent chance that McCoy outperforms both of them... So, assuming you would have grabbed Charles/Rice @ 5, you'd have the same problem at WR in the 2nd round as you would if you pick McCoy @ 6, just 1 spot later.

My point; I'd still go with the stud RB at 6, then pair him with 1 of:
Calvin
Roddy
Nicks
Fitz
Jennings

1 of those guys will fall to you... and if they don't, it means another top RB will be available and you can get a WR in the 3rd & 4th who can definitely be a good WR1&2 for you.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=491725

yeah, but the point is that i'm not that sold on either of them (except maybe Charles) finishing as a solid a solid top 6 performer.
Also those WRs will surley be gone by the time I pick in round 2

So it's a choice between Mccoy/Forte/Blount/F.Jones as my first 4 picks, or AJ/SJax/Best/Grant
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby prophecy135 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 am

Stuck with McCoy? Dude caught over 75 balls last year. I am on record that I think he is top 3 in PPR this year.

McCoy is a great PPR option, and I would take him over some of the guys you assume will go before him. As stated above he caught a bunch of balls last year and only had 200 carries. If Maclin is out, McCoy will get more targets and more then likely more carriess as well. He's a better version of Brain Westbrook when he was with the eagles and a bonafied top 5 pick. If you dont feel comfortable take who you feel comfortable with, but IMO you will not get McCoy type value from a RB available in the 2nd round unless for some odd reason DMC drops that far, but I highly doubt it. the fact that this is a ppr league sways it heavily, if it was standard I'd probably go with AJ here, but its not..

I would rather have McCoy & White/Megatron/Jennings/Nicks vs. AJ/or any of RB you'd find in the 2nd.

at the end of the day its your team, if you really like AJ take him cuz he wont be there in the 2nd. I'm not saying thats a bad pick, but McCoy is no slouch especially in a PPR format.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions