First "real" draft...12-team league...thoughts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

First "real" draft...12-team league...thoughts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

First "real" draft...12-team league...thoughts?

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:02 pm

This is my first year of being really into Fantasy Football (I'm normally a fantasy baseball guy). I have played FFB before, but never very competitively in the past. I am in a 12-team league (2 keepers), I have the 6th pick. Scoring is typical (6 pts per TD), along with 0.5 PPR:

QB - Peyton Manning (round 3...bye week 11)
RB - Steven Jackson (round 2...bye week 5)
RB - DeAngelo Williams (round 4...bye week 9)
WR - Andre Johnson (round 1...bye week 11)
WR - Plaxico Burress (round 7...bye week 8)
WR - Lance Moore (round 8...bye week 11)
RB/WR flex - Jonathan Stewart (round 5...bye week 9)
TE - Vernon Davis (round 6...bye week 7)
D/ST - NONE (will add one before season)
K - NONE (will add before season)

BE - QB Joe Flacco (round 13...bye week 5)
BE - RB LaDainian Tomlinson (round 10...bye week 8)
BE - RB Darren Sproles (round 12...bye week 11)
BE - RB Javon Ringer (round 16...bye week 6)
BE - WR Braylon Edwards (round 9...bye week 7)
BE - WR Danny Amendola (round 11...bye week 5)
BE - WR Danario Alexander (round 15...bye week 5)
BE - WR Louis Murphy (round 14...bye week 8)
BE - WR Randy Moss (round 17)

My thoughts:
-The team with the #1 pick was supposedly taking Vick (meaning I would have potentially drafted Rice). So, it was interesting when he took Adrian Foster #1 overall instead. Picks 2-5 were AP/Charles/CJ2K/Rice. With the top-tier RB's off the board, I opted for the #1 WR over the likes of LeSean McCoy or MJD. FWIW, 4 WR and 2 QB went in Round 1.
-Snatching Peyton Manning in the 3rd (#30 overall) was an easy call; he was the last premier QB available (Rodgers/Vick/Brady/Rivers/Brees were all gone). Just in case his neck acts up, I drafted Flacco in Round 13. Flacco/Big Ben/Eli slipped way too far in this draft.
-During a small RB run, I drafted D.Williams in Round 4. I made sure to draft Stewart a round later for my flex spot. That way, I get a "super back" with the Carolina duo.
-Similar to real life, Braylon fell in this draft. He makes for a nice backup option after I added him in Round 9.
-LATE ROUNDS: Ringer was drafted in case the CJ2K holdout persists...Moss was my last pick; if he comes back, the pick is potential gold. I will drop 2 players before the season for my kicker and defense (I will play it by matchup, teams were taking defenses in rounds 12-14 8-o ).

What are your thoughts?
Fantasy GM
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First "real" draft...12-team league...thoughts?

Postby LMack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 pm

My least favorite pick of your draft has to be Plaixco Burress in the 7th round. I don't like Burress as a WR2 at all. Burress is a 34 year old wide receiver who has not played a single down in the past two years and is now on a run first team while also playing second fiddle to Santonio Holmes.

With that being said, I am not overly worried about that pick. Why? I believe that your 11th round selection, Danny Amendola, will emerge in 2011. Amendola has a chance for triple digit receptions playing the Wes Welker role in Josh McDaniel's St. Louis offense. As Bradford continues to take steps forward, Amendola could benefit form the QB's development and the schemes of their new offensive coordinator. I think a couple weeks into the season he will play his way into your lineup.

You don't have great depth at RB, but your top options are solid. I am still a bit let down from the fact that DeAngelo Williams and Johnathan Stewart will be splitting carries yet again, but it should be the same as always for the two in Carolina. I don't love the situation but they both have a chance to be productive like in the past.

Good luck in 2011 ;-D
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Plax was a little bit of a reach. WR's were flying off the board, and I saw Plax as a guy who, if he is ready to go come September, can be a real threat. At 6'5", the Jets will be looking for him in the red zone, meaning possible TD points. Amendola was my sneaky sleeper pick, like you said. Somehow, he led the NFL in red zone targets last year and is indeed Welker-ish.

RB's were tricky. The team with the #1 pick was ready to draft Vick, then had a change of heart and went Adrian Foster. The next 4 picks were also RB's. Because my top 5 were off the board, I went Andre at 6. Before my 2nd round pick, a few other RB's came off the board in the early 2nd round (including Mendenhall 2 picks before me, who I was hoping would slide). Jackson really has no competition and is usually good, so he was my first RB pick. When DeAngelo fell in Rd4, I had the idea to pair him with Stewart; I'm getting the Panthers rushing attack regardless and their quarterbacks are unproven. LT can contribute in this PPR league, Sproles is simply a backup, and Ringer might get dropped when CJ2K returns (it did scare the CJ2K owner a little though).
Fantasy GM
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latraffic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:08 am

Not bad for a first real draft. I remember mine and I drafted a QB so I can't ding you for drafting a WR as your very first pick ever. Still, I'd have rather seen you get a little better RB squad. Just think how nice a McCoy or McFadden would look paired with your SJAX rather than having to hope Williams gets his shots. And you'd not have been stuck using a spot for Stewart (which is a pain because every week you'll have to decided "who is going to get the carries... Williams/Stewart?" I personally go nuts over that stuff but maybe you'll do better).

I also agree with LMack that Plax in the 7th is a poor selection, or at least not one I'll be making. Last round as a sleeper? Sure.

Glad to see you didn't waste picks on Def or Kicker, it took my years to stop doing that. ;-)
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Love the Randy Moss pick, I'm expecting huge things from him this year...
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby magicalyata » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm not sure if I like your third round pick of Peyton Manning. If I were in your position I probably would have tried to lockdown another top shelf receiver. As it sits now I don't trust Lance Moore, or Plaxico Burress at all. Drafting Jonathan Stewart next to DeAngelo Williams is a bit risky as well. I tried to do the "Super Duo" a while back with Joseph Addai, and Donald Brown the year they drafted him, and it blew up in my face. Good luck, I think you'll probably end up franticly searching for WRs on the Waiver Wire after Week 1. My roster is in my signature if you want to help in return.
Rate my Roster, and Read my Draft Recap! WHIR!
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=491687
magicalyata
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Roster Ratings