mock draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

mock draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

mock draft

Postby eurovw89 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 am

I have been reading a lot about using a mock draft to help with ur actual draft. Could someone give me some insight? I'm lost and don't see how it can help.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
eurovw89
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: mock draft

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 am

First of all you will start to get an idea of where certian players are being drafted.

The biggest help I think is that it gets you to react to the flow of a draft. I am very big on trying to get people to not go into a draft with a set in stone plan. You need to be able to adapt to how the draft is advancing. If you go in saying you are drafting a certain position in round 1,2,3 - there are different factors that could happen that should change your mind and cause you to draft someone/something else. Doing mock drafts wil help with this process
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am

Notice that mock draft is underlined in your post - click on it and it will take you to the Cafe explanation of mock drafts.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:06 pm

This is the first year I ever used a mock draft, I prolly have done 50 in the past week. The help out a lot, honestly. They will make you feel a lot more comfortable because you will have a general feel for who will fall to you. It will kinda help you make a "plan" for what you want to do but one of the biggest mistakes you can make is going in with a set plan. Maybe you want to take another RB in the 2nd round but you find out that all of the top 3 tier RB's are gone but 2 WR's from the top tier is there...you have to change your "plan." Mock drafts give you a feel for what options will be there for the most part and who you usually don't have a chance on. I had the 1st pick in my draft that was last night, so in all my mocks I went in with the 1st pick...It helped me determine who I would take in the 2nd-5th rounds because it showed me who would be there for the most part. Maybe you get really lucky like I did and are expecting to grab RunDMC and Steven Jackson with your 2nd and 3rd and wind up with Gore and Turner...anything can happen. So don't look at a mock as getting you ready for whats going to happen in your draft, but as getting you comfortable for circumstances that could happen, in your draft. I barely looked at my cheat sheet simply because of all the mocks that I did, I knew for the majority of who was going to be there and if there was a surprise I would upgrade and change my "plan."
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eurovw89 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Ok thanks....this is my 4th year playing and 3rd year being a comish for my own league. Feels like I did ok last year, but better then years before......started looking into the free agency to pick up players, etc.... I am just trying to figure out a strategy, or something to step up my drafting game.

Was wondering would be filling up my starters, best possible at the position, be the route to go to first......? I understand that I will have to change up a bit depending on the outcome of who everyone else drafts. I read somewhere about drafting WR, TE, and QB in the first round then picking up a RB in the 4th. It's a PPR league........plus with almost every team having 3+ backs it seems like a good idea cuz u r not really sure how many carries the #1 RB will have sharing with the other backs
eurovw89
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Beginner's Forum