12 Team Competitive League Draft Recap. WHIR! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

12 Team Competitive League Draft Recap. WHIR!

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 Team Competitive League Draft Recap. WHIR!

Postby magicalyata » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:10 pm

I went in with the idea that if Peterson, Johnson, Charles, Foster, Rice were available at my pick I was going with them, and would draft a RB second round as well. If they were all gone I was going Wide Receivers. I randomly got the 9th overall pick. A little bit of backstory about the league. You start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR Flex, A Defense, and a Kicker. You get bonus points for long plays, and getting over 100 yards. Defense gets a ton of bonus points, and is usually very high scoring (20-30 points for top defenses)

The first round went, and Ray Rice went 8th overall (so close). I was torn apart here despite my strategy going on whether or not to grab MJD, or LeSean McCoy who were both still on the board. I ended up sticking to my plan, and took the #1 WR in my eyes. Roddy White.

The second round came back around with MJD, McCoy gone, but Andre Johnson still available. I was very tempted to go with Calvin instead, but ended up "settling" with Andre.

When it was my turn to draft in the 3rd round most of the other top ranked WR were gone (Fitz, Miles Austin, Jennings,Wallace,Vincent Jackson). Frank Gore was still there, but I am a 49ers fan, and I've seen their offensive line, and I don't trust Frank to stay healthy for an entire season. In my mind I was picking between Frank Gore, and DeSean Jackson, and Reggie Wayne. I took DeSean Jackson hoping for some big play bonus points, and special teams magic. In retrospect, I probably should have taken Gore or Reggie instead since they are probably safer, but it really could go either way.

Now that I had all 2 WR, and a WR/RB flex spot filled with DeSean, I needed RBs, and I needed them fast, so when it was my turn to pick in Round 4, I had to choose between LeGarrette Blount, and DeAngelo Williams. I had Blount at the end of last year, and I know what he can do, but I took DeAngelo hoping for a bounce back year now that he has got all the money. This could end up to really hurt me, or really help me.

Round 5 it was time for RB's again. I was torn between Shonn Greene, and Jahvid Best. In the end I went with the guy who I thought gave me better value, and was more likely to be put in a position to succeed so Greene it was.

Now as the draft snaked back around in the 6th it was time for me to grab the QB I had pinned since well before the draft started. Josh Freeman, he was on the board, and would not have lasted had I waited any longer. I pulled the trigger, and could not have been happier about getting him.

In the 7th, 8th, 9th round I took a shot on Sidney Rice being a player in Seattle, An elite defense in the Steelers, and Ryan Torain

10th, and 11th I took Santana Moss, and Mike Thomas possible number 1 receivers for the Redskins, and Jax.

12,13,14,15. I took some RB fliers with Beanie Wells, Shane Vereen, Rashad Jennings, and Ben Tate.

16th round I took the kicker I had targeted from the start with Alex Henerey (All other top kickers off the board anyways)

My team looks like

QB:Josh Freeman
RB: DeAngelo Williams
RB: Shonne Greene
WR/RB:DeSean Jackson
WR:Andre Johnson
WR: Roddy White
D:Steelers
K:Alex Henery

Bench:
WR:Santana Moss, Mike Thomas, Sidney Rice
RB:Ryan Torain, Shane Vereen,Rashaad Jennings,Beanie Wells,Ben Tate

Thanks for reading. Will help back in return! (Leaving a link behind would be helpful!)
Rate my Roster, and Read my Draft Recap! WHIR!
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=491687
magicalyata
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12 Team Competitive League Draft Recap. WHIR!

Postby tidefan94 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:09 pm

For a 12 team its not bad, but you have to trade either johnson or white for a stud RB. you'll still have two really good receivers and you'll have a star RB to go along with the depth
tidefan94
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

I don't trust your RB's and since I'm a big RB kinda guy I would trade one of your WR studs for a good option at RB
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NYG1119 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah like the others said above you need to trade one of the 2 WR's and get a #1 RB
NYG1119
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cubsfan2803 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah you defiantly need to trade for a better RB with your WR depth.You could also use some insurance just in case Freeman does not pan out. look for someone cheaper like Eli Manning, Joe Flaco, or Matt Schaub.

help?
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=491735
Cubsfan2803
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby magicalyata » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm

The only RBs that Roddy, or Andre could get would be a tier 2 runningback, and I'd much rather have the 2 best WR than the 11th best RB. If DeAngelo doesn't return to 20 TD form, and Shonne Greene (Who was a first round pick last year, but didn't live up to hype) don't pan out, I will hit the Waiver Wire and look for the next Peyton Hillis, or BJGE. I just feel it's a little early to jump the gun to try to trade for somebody that I could have simply drafted instead.
Rate my Roster, and Read my Draft Recap! WHIR!
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=491687
magicalyata
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shmity72 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:55 pm

desean jackson was a bad move for you at number three i think...other than that your first two picks weren't bad.

trade him while his stock is high for another felix jones type package deal who knows...maybe you can get some depth at rb.

please respond to mine too.
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)

Postby P1Army » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Great job landing all that receiving talent. I’m actually not all that worried about your run game and have a hunch you will be benching DeAngelo by the end of the year. Not sure where he went in your draft but I would look to bolster Wells with Ryan Williams, they both have a chance to shine now that AZ has got a legitimate passer under center. The offensive line in AZ is not great which is why I like Williams upside a little more, less of a rumbler and more of a slasher, good balance and good hands. I would have selected the rookie out of AZ rather than the injury prone committee member out of a dismal situation in Washington. Ultimately your backs will be as good as the offense they play in unless they are freak talents like CJ2K. If a team can’t convert 3rd downs or plays from behind all the time, the run game gets lost. Just look at what happened to MJD last year. People keep blaming his knee but his slide in production was just as much on the shoulders of an ineffective David Garrard as anything else. Similar situations sprung up in Tennessee and Minnesota, when there was no threat of a passing game. I think wells has a much better opportunity this year but Williams will be giving him good competition along the way and with Fitzy back with a decent passer and making circus catches again running lanes will open up in AZ. Carolina on the other hand…who scares a DB there, David Gettis? What is preventing a DC from staking the box in Washington…and Torian is not a considerable talent…I would actually prefer to have Hightower or Helu…if I absolutely had to own a piece of the redskins backfield which I would not wish on anyone…If I were you I would look to shop Williams form the guy who drafted him as a flyer, don’t give up too much because he is a rookie…although, Sidney rice is a nice big name on a team that may be dismal in the passing game this year. Tavaris looked horrible in his first outing…a couple of dump off completions and a bunch of running around for minimal gains…I’d take a long hard look at that Seattle offense over the next 2 weeks and do my best to move rice and torian for Williams and a 3rd tier wideout with upside. That will solidify the AZ backfield and give you 3 great options at RB Greene, Williams and whoever totes the rock with more passion in AZ.

P.S. Great move passing on Gore and Don’t worry about DJax he will be electric.
Send questions direct to my twitter account @gallegosdavidm
P1Army
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Roster Ratings